jacobss
What's New?

Smoked a meatloaf

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I absolutely love meatloaf, but I've never tried it in my smoker. I'm definitely going to give this a try!!

Meatloaf is good any time of the year, but I especially like it this time of the near in the Midwest when it's getting colder. Great comfort food!

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
I absolutely love meatloaf, but I've never tried it in my smoker. I'm definitely going to give this a try!!

Meatloaf is good any time of the year, but I especially like it this time of the near in the Midwest when it's getting colder. Great comfort food!
It’s a for sure comfort food❤️

A

AlphaMale!

VIP Member
Dec 11, 2022
I used to hate meatloaf when I was growing up but nowadays I’ve dined at countless country diners across seven states and I’ve become an expert meatloaf connoisseur.
I have a meatloaf pic from a diner in Oklahoma that is a real prize winner but I can’t seem to find it!!

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
I used to hate meatloaf when I was growing up but nowadays I’ve dined at countless country diners across seven states and I’ve become an expert meatloaf connoisseur.
I have a meatloaf pic from a diner in Oklahoma that is a real prize winner but I can’t seem to find it!!
It's one of my favorite foods to eat. There are so many good recipes out there, and then there are so many restaurants who can do it up good as well.

I hated it growing up as a kid too. I'll be honest, my mom sucked at making it. My dad even hated it too. It was known as the meat of death in our house when she'd make it, which thank God, it was very seldom, lol. In fact, I only remember her making it 1-2 handful of times because even she knew it was bad.

I think it was her meatloaf where my dad came up with the slogan, "when it's smoking it's cooking, and when it's black it's done." LOL!

I think when it comes to meatloaf, the most important thing is to not overcook it. Too many people cook it to death and ruin it:( Also, you have to use a fatty meat so that it has flavor and doesn't dry out....the fat is for sure needed in it. Adding the right amount of wet to dry ingredients helps too.

I love it both baked and smoked, though:)

A

AlphaMale!

VIP Member
Dec 11, 2022
It's one of my favorite foods to eat. There are so many good recipes out there, and then there are so many restaurants who can do it up good as well.

I hated it growing up as a kid too. I'll be honest, my mom sucked at making it. My dad even hated it too. It was known as the meat of death in our house when she'd make it, which thank God, it was very seldom, lol. In fact, I only remember her making it 1-2 handful of times because even she knew it was bad.

I think it was her meatloaf where my dad came up with the slogan, "when it's smoking it's cooking, and when it's black it's done." LOL!

I think when it comes to meatloaf, the most important thing is to not overcook it. Too many people cook it to death and ruin it:( Also, you have to use a fatty meat so that it has flavor and doesn't dry out....the fat is for sure needed in it. Adding the right amount of wet to dry ingredients helps too.

I love it both baked and smoked, though:)
My mom cooked the worst meatloaf. Hard as a brick!!
I would dread dinner every time I could smell it in the oven.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
My mom cooked the worst meatloaf. Hard as a brick!!
I would dread dinner every time I could smell it in the oven.
Exactly:(

That's unfortunately how it goes with most people. Then they go most of their lives thinking meatloaf is garbage......until they get it made good :p

It's actually really easy to make too.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Y'all try using crushed pork rinds instead of bread crumbs. 1. they taste better 2. they do the same thing as the bread crumbs 3. no carbs

We grill, then puree onion and a whole red bell pepper with 1 jalapeno and add that to the meat with the spices, pork rinds and egg. I put it on a piece of parchment paper on a piece of foil. I used to use just foil and maybe I am paranoid but I read somewhere aluminum is not good for you and cooking with it can give you some.
I place this on the smoker. the foil keeps it from gooing around the grate making it hard to get off. I smoke it 225 for 1.5 hours then turn up the heat and baste it with my ketchup and chipotle mix. At this point you can gently slid the foil and parchement out from under it. cook at 325 or so until internal temp is where you want it. Pull and let rest for 15 minutes before cutting. Delicious.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Y'all try using crushed pork rinds instead of bread crumbs. 1. they taste better 2. they do the same thing as the bread crumbs 3. no carbs

We grill, then puree onion and a whole red bell pepper with 1 jalapeno and add that to the meat with the spices, pork rinds and egg. I put it on a piece of parchment paper on a piece of foil. I used to use just foil and maybe I am paranoid but I read somewhere aluminum is not good for you and cooking with it can give you some.
I place this on the smoker. the foil keeps it from gooing around the grate making it hard to get off. I smoke it 225 for 1.5 hours then turn up the heat and baste it with my ketchup and chipotle mix. At this point you can gently slid the foil and parchement out from under it. cook at 325 or so until internal temp is where you want it. Pull and let rest for 15 minutes before cutting. Delicious.

I've never used pork rinds, but I will have to give that a try one day for sure! I like the croutons more than breadcrumbs, but like both. But yea, i'll have to give that a try.

Have you tried flavored (or seasoned) pork rinds? Or, just the regular ones?

When i've baked my meatloaf in the oven, i've always used parchment paper. This last time in the smoker, I did it like the picture above.....on a pan rack over a foiled cooking sheet. I didn't have any issues with it, thankfully, lol.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
I've never used pork rinds, but I will have to give that a try one day for sure! I like the croutons more than breadcrumbs, but like both. But yea, i'll have to give that a try.

Have you tried flavored (or seasoned) pork rinds? Or, just the regular ones?

When i've baked my meatloaf in the oven, i've always used parchment paper. This last time in the smoker, I did it like the picture above.....on a pan rack over a foiled cooking sheet. I didn't have any issues with it, thankfully, lol.

I have done it both ways. I used the spicy ones one time and it was good but the plain ones are what I normally use as I do not wanna add more salt than I have to. I normally mix my ketchup with brisket seasoning and a little water to thin it and I baste with that. With the onion and pepper in the meat, no need for more flavor.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic