Remy14
What's New?

Shawn Ray

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
And I think someone vying for #1 at any Olympia should have calves. It's a pet peeve of mine.
1715277713759.png

ValeTudo8080

ValeTudo8080

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2011
Yes awesome physique....i used to watch the old ESPN shows with him and Boyer Coe .

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Not sure if this is off topic or too far on topic, but near the end of a lengthy interview (and that was just Part 2), Shawn cites Chris Dickerson and Bob Paris as 2 early influences on him. He specifies it was neither their physiques nor their gayness, but just their character and dignified way they carried themselves. He definitely flatters himself more than a few posts in this thread do. lol.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Had a couple guys who were in Vegas for the O in the early 2000's, one an IFBB pro who won the USA's, and Shawn popped off to them, and they nearly beat his ass clean but he ran behind the security guards. He was very hated by most competitors. He had a complete package, but he never did anything with it after so many years coming in with the same look and weight. Everybody else was gaining size and coming in better almost every year, but Shawn, although very very good, he never tried to do the same. He was like a short-term Dexter for the 90's, but then, even Dexter continued to improve over the years to hang with the big guys.

I liked watching his show on ESPN when I was in like 8th and 9th grade before they discontinued it...like 90-91/92, or something like that....along with American Muscle and the shows noted above that had Boyer Coe in them. Man, those were so damn fun back in the day. People don't realize how hard it was to get info outside of the few magazines that made it to print, and then whatever was aired on ESPN for a few years. It wasn't until the mid-90's that most even started getting online.

However, after all that said, you are right @tommyguns2 , Shawn was such a great bodybuilder, maybe top 1-3 who never won the O, and he will go down as a legend in the sport....for his physique.

Yano

Yano

VIP Member
Sep 18, 2022
He was a rich kid, drove a Benz. Most bodybuilders were poor while Shaun had plenty of financial support from his family. I want to say his dad was a Dr. if I remember.
Charles Marshall Ray Sr. was his dad .. first black guy to hold public office in Orange county after serving in the Air Force. He sat on the planning board for Placentia , didnt think he was a Dr but I dont know the whole family history.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic