Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Hey I'm James, I got a question.

ChargerWolf

ChargerWolf

Jan 22, 2024
Hey I'm James, I've been a bodybuilder for about half a year now. I'm 5'9 and my biceps are 14 inches, Is that considered big for my height? I just wanna know if I'm makin good progress. Thx

Attachments

• IMG_20240123_122536~2.jpg
    IMG_20240123_122536~2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 18
tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Hello ChargerWolf, welcome to TID.

The short answer to your question is mixed. No, 14" is not considered large, and that measurement is not the size of your bicep, it's the size of your entire arm, which consists of both your triceps and your biceps.

On the flip side, if you've only been lifting for six months, you're likely making excellent progress, and stick with it. The key to success in bodybuilding, is consistency in your training, and it also helps to be eating well. However, if you've just started, you're likely making good progress no matter what you're eating. However, to maximize/optimize your results, eating sufficient quantities of protein is important. If you're 200 pounds, 200g of protein per day is a good guide.

When it comes to progress on your arms, don't ignore work on your triceps. Genetically, for most people, the triceps are almost twice as large as your biceps, so if you're wanting to improve on arm size, it's best not to ignore the largest muscle group in the arm. Dips, progressing to weighted dips are an excellent exercise for tricep mass.

Good luck, and welcome to TID.

ChargerWolf

ChargerWolf

Jan 22, 2024
Hello ChargerWolf, welcome to TID.

The short answer to your question is mixed. No, 14" is not considered large, and that measurement is not the size of your bicep, it's the size of your entire arm, which consists of both your triceps and your biceps.

On the flip side, if you've only been lifting for six months, you're likely making excellent progress, and stick with it. The key to success in bodybuilding, is consistency in your training, and it also helps to be eating well. However, if you've just started, you're likely making good progress no matter what you're eating. However, to maximize/optimize your results, eating sufficient quantities of protein is important. If you're 200 pounds, 200g of protein per day is a good guide.

When it comes to progress on your arms, don't ignore work on your triceps. Genetically, for most people, the triceps are almost twice as large as your biceps, so if you're wanting to improve on arm size, it's best not to ignore the largest muscle group in the arm. Dips, progressing to weighted dips are an excellent exercise for tricep mass.

Good luck, and welcome to TID.
Alr, thx for the feedback. Mind if I post regular updates on growth and progress photos?

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Alr, thx for the feedback. Mind if I post regular updates on growth and progress photos?
Sure, you can do that. Please go and take a look at the various sub-forums that we have here. I think we have a forum that is specifically available for training/diet/progress logs. People will want to know key stats, such as your age, height, weight, years training, goals, diet, etc.

There's a lot of guys here with plenty of experience, and if you're willing to work hard, listen to advice, and apply it, I think you're continue to make good progress, and learn a ton in the process.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Welcome. Tommy covered most of it.

What I like to tell people, size and weight is relative. If you were 5'0" and 4% BF then 14 inches would look pretty freaking big. If you are 6'0" and 15% BF then 14 inches would look oddly small.

Progress is all about you, the individual. Did your biceps grow in girth? Maybe they stayed the same size, but you are leaner and they appear larger. Both would be progress.

ChargerWolf

ChargerWolf

Jan 22, 2024
Welcome. Tommy covered most of it.

What I like to tell people, size and weight is relative. If you were 5'0" and 4% BF then 14 inches would look pretty freaking big. If you are 6'0" and 15% BF then 14 inches would look oddly small.

Progress is all about you, the individual. Did your biceps grow in girth? Maybe they stayed the same size, but you are leaner and they appear larger. Both would be progress.
I see, ye my BF is about 9 so I'm inbetween the examples you gave. I think in terms of progress I think I'm doing well, my arms grew an inch since a started and I'm around 14 pounds heavier (I'm 150 now) . But lately I haven't been seein much progress. Thx for the feedback by the way.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I see, ye my BF is about 9 so I'm inbetween the examples you gave. I think in terms of progress I think I'm doing well, my arms grew an inch since a started and I'm around 14 pounds heavier (I'm 150 now) . But lately I haven't been seein much progress. Thx for the feedback by the way.
Progress will come fast then slow down if you are doing the same thing you were doing to get where you are now. For example, the diet that got you to where you are now will likely not continue to progress you into the future. You have put on 14 lbs, so now your energy expenditure to do everything has increased. You will need to push the calories up if you want to continue to grow.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
14 pounds in 6 months is excellent progress! Congratulations. You won't always progress at that rate, but you can always be setting new goals for yourself. Feel free to ask people questions, and if you have a learning attitude and are willing to apply what you've learned, people who've traveled the same road as you will be happy to help out.

Every single one of us started somewhere, and understand that there's no magic, but there are tried and true principles in training, diet, etc. that will help you reach your goals.

ChargerWolf

ChargerWolf

Jan 22, 2024
14 pounds in 6 months is excellent progress! Congratulations. You won't always progress at that rate, but you can always be setting new goals for yourself. Feel free to ask people questions, and if you have a learning attitude and are willing to apply what you've learned, people who've traveled the same road as you will be happy to help out.

Every single one of us started somewhere, and understand that there's no magic, but there are tried and true principles in training, diet, etc. that will help you reach your goals.
Sounds great! I'll def ask around for more advice. And thx for the encouragement. All you have been an amazing help and I've only been here for a few hours.

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
ChargerWolf (James) I saw you over at another board. I’m sure you have noticed the difference in responses you are getting between the 2 boards. Just be careful putting yourself out there like you are.
I’d say the main thing you can do is to be CONSISTENT!!!!!!! Try to eat good foods concentrating on protein. If you stick with it you will see progress. Don’t worry about the numbers & focus on the mirror. Good luck to you!

ChargerWolf

ChargerWolf

Jan 22, 2024
ChargerWolf (James) I saw you over at another board. I’m sure you have noticed the difference in responses you are getting between the 2 boards. Just be careful putting yourself out there like you are.
I’d say the main thing you can do is to be CONSISTENT!!!!!!! Try to eat good foods concentrating on protein. If you stick with it you will see progress. Don’t worry about the numbers & focus on the mirror. Good luck to you!
Alrighty, thx a lot all of ya for the advice! I'll be more careful, I was just really needing advice so I figured to get as much as possible, but i learned some forums aren't as friendly hehe. I really appreciate it and I will make sure to work on getting better.

jackedpuckstar

jackedpuckstar

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2011
I'm guessing you're a pretty young guy. My advice to a young guy just getting into BB is simple... Eat bro. Then eat more. Lift. After that, eat again. Dial your diet down as best you can and it will come in time. Six months isn't long in the BB world. You put the work in and feed the wolf, you'll grow.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic