Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Experience with steroid Neck injections?

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
Hey guys, it’s been a long time!

I have been suffering from bulging discs in my neck since 2015. It’s continuing to get worse even with chiropractic care. Might have to consider surgery later in my life but for now I’m looking for some relief. I can’t really workout anymore and my right arm always hurts or has pain. Right shoulder has atrophied.
I’m worried about doing injections in my neck. this spine stuff seems to always be hit or miss.

anyone have success with injections or surgery?

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
I have to have an injection every once in a while. Doc gave me PT to strengthen my neck and exercises to help a bulging disc. The shots really help me and last for 6-8 months. If you maintain the PT it will last over a year. I actually have gone 18 months without one and still feel good with little discomfort.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Longer you wait the worse the surgery is, why not get it dealt with so you can live life pain free?

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Longer you wait the worse the surgery is, why not get it dealt with so you can live life pain free?
Agree along with possible permanent dysfunction. The technology is way better now than 10 years ago and if they can do a hybrid (fusion/disc replacement) or just microdisectomy, get it done and over. Just have to find a good surgeon, once it gets to the point where you can't take it anymore, figure another 3 - 4 months before they can get you into surgery and/or find the right doc. That's when you wish you had done something sooner. The Mrs ex mother in law had her neck done about 6 weeks ago and is doing great, brace is off and no pain and she's in her late 70's.

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011

that’s what I’ve been thinking lately. I started looking for surgeons. Seems any spine surgery is hit or miss. Discouraging to say the least.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
My Father in law finally had his back done, known him for close to 20 years, if he did it in his 50's vs 70's that would have been 20 years less of steroid shots, pain, dragging his foot and much less recovery time.

Find a good ortho group and then get a second opinion and chose the one you feel better about after your research.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
My wife is 4 weeks post op from a major cervical spine surgery. It was a cutting edge operation that's only been around for about 5 years. She's walking about 3 miles a day now, and cleared to start actual PT and swimming at week 6. It's 12 weeks to full recovery. She is doing really well in recovery and has had zero neurological pain or symptoms since she did it.

First 2 weeks of recovery were hell. At this point she is so happy she did the surgery and can't wait to fully heal and get back to the gym and pool again.

Find a good neurosurgeon and get your life back.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Hey guys, it’s been a long time! . . . .
There's been an uptick here in the last few years in what I call "medical threads," with a specialty in "orthopedic."
Some good tips right here in replies to your op, and some leads by searching posts from what a few here have been saying in various threads about shoulders, hips, knees, and spines from one end to the other fairly recently.
Some suggestions too on choosing who might be the right doctor for you.

Good luck, I'm here a lot, but I procrastinate ... I'll learn as you do.

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
My wife is 4 weeks post op from a major cervical spine surgery. It was a cutting edge operation that's only been around for about 5 years. She's walking about 3 miles a day now, and cleared to start actual PT and swimming at week 6. It's 12 weeks to full recovery. She is doing really well in recovery and has had zero neurological pain or symptoms since she did it.

First 2 weeks of recovery were hell. At this point she is so happy she did the surgery and can't wait to fully heal and get back to the gym and pool again.

Find a good neurosurgeon and get your life back.
Thanks great news! Thanks for sharing that. I’m going to start getting some opinions from a few Drs

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
There's been an uptick here in the last few years in what I call "medical threads," with a specialty in "orthopedic."
Some good tips right here in replies to your op, and some leads by searching posts from what a few here have been saying in various threads about shoulders, hips, knees, and spines from one end to the other fairly recently.
Some suggestions too on choosing who might be the right doctor for you.

Good luck, I'm here a lot, but I procrastinate ... I'll learn as you do.
The OG’s here are getting old. Haha It’s great to see that this forum still exists.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Lol, it's even greater to see that some of us still exist :)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic