Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Animal- vs. Plant-Based Protein Foods on Essential Amino Acids Bioavailability in Young and Older Adults

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011

Effects of Consuming Ounce-Equivalent Portions of Animal- vs. Plant-Based Protein Foods, as Defined by the Dietary Guidelines for Americans on Essential Amino Acids Bioavailability in Young and Older Adults: Two Cross-Over Randomized Controlled Trials​

Nutrients 2023, 15(13), 2870; https://doi.org/10.3390/nu15132870

Abstract​

Background: The Dietary Guidelines for Americans (DGA) recommends consuming a variety of “Protein Foods” based on “ounce-equivalent” (oz-eq) portions. No study has assessed the same oz-eq portions of animal- vs. plant-based protein foods on essential amino acid (EAA) bioavailability for protein anabolism in young and older adults.

Objectives: We assessed the effects of consuming two oz-eq portions of pork, eggs, black beans, and almonds on postprandial EAA bioavailability in young and older adults.

Methods: We conducted two investigator-blinded, randomized crossover trials in young (n = 30; mean age ± SD: 26.0 ± 4.9 y) and older adults (n = 25; mean age ± SD: 64.2 ± 6.6 y). Participants completed four testing sessions where they consumed a standardized meal with two oz-eq of either unprocessed lean pork, whole eggs, black beans, or sliced almonds. Blood samples were taken at baseline and 30, 60, 120, 180, 240, and 300 min postprandially. Plasma EAA bioavailability was based on postprandial integrated positive areas under the curve.

Results: Participant age did not affect EAA bioavailability among the four protein foods tested. Two oz-eq portions of pork (7.36 g EAA) and eggs (5.38 g EAA) resulted in greater EAA bioavailability than black beans (3.02 g EAA) and almonds (1.85 g EAA) in young and older adults, separately or combined (p < 0.0001 for all). Pork resulted in greater EAA bioavailability than eggs in young adults (p < 0.0001), older adults (p = 0.0007), and combined (p < 0.0001). There were no differences in EAA bioavailability between black beans and almonds.

Conclusions: The same “oz-eq” portions of animal- and plant-based protein foods do not provide equivalent EAA content and postprandial bioavailability for protein anabolism in young and older adults.

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023

Effects of Consuming Ounce-Equivalent Portions of Animal- vs. Plant-Based Protein Foods, as Defined by the Dietary Guidelines for Americans on Essential Amino Acids Bioavailability in Young and Older Adults: Two Cross-Over Randomized Controlled Trials​

Abstract​

Background: The Dietary Guidelines for Americans (DGA) recommends consuming a variety of “Protein Foods” based on “ounce-equivalent” (oz-eq) portions. No study has assessed the same oz-eq portions of animal- vs. plant-based protein foods on essential amino acid (EAA) bioavailability for protein anabolism in young and older adults.

Objectives: We assessed the effects of consuming two oz-eq portions of pork, eggs, black beans, and almonds on postprandial EAA bioavailability in young and older adults.

Methods: We conducted two investigator-blinded, randomized crossover trials in young (n = 30; mean age ± SD: 26.0 ± 4.9 y) and older adults (n = 25; mean age ± SD: 64.2 ± 6.6 y). Participants completed four testing sessions where they consumed a standardized meal with two oz-eq of either unprocessed lean pork, whole eggs, black beans, or sliced almonds. Blood samples were taken at baseline and 30, 60, 120, 180, 240, and 300 min postprandially. Plasma EAA bioavailability was based on postprandial integrated positive areas under the curve.

Results: Participant age did not affect EAA bioavailability among the four protein foods tested. Two oz-eq portions of pork (7.36 g EAA) and eggs (5.38 g EAA) resulted in greater EAA bioavailability than black beans (3.02 g EAA) and almonds (1.85 g EAA) in young and older adults, separately or combined (p < 0.0001 for all). Pork resulted in greater EAA bioavailability than eggs in young adults (p < 0.0001), older adults (p = 0.0007), and combined (p < 0.0001). There were no differences in EAA bioavailability between black beans and almonds.

Conclusions: The same “oz-eq” portions of animal- and plant-based protein foods do not provide equivalent EAA content and postprandial bioavailability for protein anabolism in young and older adults.
How much do they spend on study's that we have known for years.

Nothing beats lobster and shrimp on treadmill study lol here is the shrimp

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Pork and not chicken or beef? Lean pork is OK but the other meats have higher EAA counts than pork I am 95% sure.

And to say pork is higher than eggs?

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
Pork and not chicken or beef? Lean pork is OK but the other meats have higher EAA counts than pork I am 95% sure.

And to say pork is higher than eggs?
I wasn't paying attention to specific food only plant vs animal

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Lean pork is very under-rated, imo. The problem is that out here in California, it's actually more expensive than chicken, for the most part. Years back it was cheap AF. So I usually just stick with chicken for the most part if going off of price alone. Generally speaking, and for the most part, plant-based proteins are crap, you almost have to eat 50% more to get the same benefits as animal-based proteins. Not only that, but if you increase the amount to make up that 50%, you are usually also increasing other macro's, like fat and carbs, at the same time, which also increases your caloric intake. Taste is usually extremely 'earthy' when buying most plants-based protein powders too....which is disgusting to me, lol. Even the better choices like pea protein disgusts me, and you have to saturate pea protein with so much water for it to mix correctly..... = vomit for me:( Adding 'some' pea protein in a mix can help. However, the price of it has also went up. I'd rather spend the same amount of money and get a better protein source with whey, personally. I understand some people may not always do well with dairy proteins though and use pea as an alternative choice.

Sorry, went off-topic some here in a few different directions. lol.

Last edited:
The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Damn, maybe I'm doing something right? Any of you old bastards recall trying to put down that GNC soy protein powder that came in those cardboard cans back in the 80's? Makes me laugh when I hear these young guns complain about the taste of todays protein drinks. Son, you have no idea.

1690547222036.png

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
I wasn't paying attention to specific food only plant vs animal
I was just pointing this out. I am sure that chicken and beef are higher quality of proteins that would cause an even bigger disparity.

Anita Blumpkin

Anita Blumpkin

TID Lady Member
Jul 19, 2023

Abstract​

Went Vegan for 8 months about 4 years ago. Lost weight looked slim.....lost a lot of muscle tone. Lost so much strength in the gym. Around the 6 month mark I noticed I just couldn't get a pump anymore. I like to experiment and experience these things for myself.
I sacrificed a lot of gains in those 8 months. Wasn't using any gear either and hadn't been for a while leading up and after. So it was a zero help test lol I had a holistic nutrition coach to help me make sure I was getting the right amount of amino's needed, but it's just not my cup of tea.
It's bullshit haha also the volume of food needed to come close to enough amino's is unreal. I think I spend a lot of time eating now days. Being a vegan bodybuilder is no small task. My family was very happy when I chose to come back to the meat eating realm and be strong and alive again.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic