What's New?

Interesting Anavar only study

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
read this article, thought I would share. Pretty interesting.. 12 week study

Medical study: twelve weeks on oxandrolone

It’s not new, but nevertheless it’s interesting, this study done at the University of Southern California in 2004. The researchers gave thirty men over sixty a daily dose of 20 mg of oxandrolone for twelve weeks and observed what happened. After reading the study you might wonder whether giving androgens to people who don’t train is such a good idea.

anavar0.gif
Oxandrolone is perhaps the safest oral anabolic steroid ever to make its way on to the market. One of the reasons for this is because it doesn’t metabolise easily.

The researchers wanted to know whether you can use male hormones to counter the decline in muscle mass and power that sets in with aging. For their experiments they selected thirty healthy men over the age of sixty, and gave them the dose that doctors advise for ‘undesired weight loss due to unknown causes’. Twenty got oxandrolone, ten got a placebo. The researchers gave them a course of twelve weeks of taking the supplement, and examined the men again twelve weeks after the course had finished. The men did no weight training.

The muscle measurements of those who had taken oxandrolone grew considerably. The figure below shows the thigh muscle cross-sectional area.

ox.kuur0.gif

As you can see, after twelve weeks the men had more muscle bulk. How much of this was left after the men had been clean for twelve weeks the researchers didn't measure, but going by the figure below it wasn't much. This figure shows the change in the lean body mass. Lean body mass also includes muscle mass.

ox.kuur.gif

Most of the lean body mass built up during the course of oxandrolone had disappeared after twelve weeks.

Oxandrolone has a similar effect on muscle power. Twelve weeks of oxandrolone increased the weight the men could shift on the leg press, the lat pulley, the leg extension and the chest press in the lab. But twelve weeks after stopping with the oxandrolone the extra strength had all but disappeared again.

ox.kuur2.gif

The effects of oxandrolone on the fat mass were more lasting. The fat mass decreased considerably in the first twelve weeks, and the effect could still be seen twelve weeks later.

ox.kuur1.gif

The course of oxandrolone did not pose health risks. The researchers monitored the men’s liver enzymes, cholesterol, LH and the prostate cancer marker PSA, but noticed nothing alarming. The concentration of PSA even fell a little as a result of the oxandrolone.

The men did not do weight training. Many chemical athletes notice that stopping with training after finishing a course of steroids results in loss of the muscle mass gained. Maybe the men would have benefited more from the oxandrolone if they had trained as well.

When steroids are taken, the body’s own production of testosterone declines. Therefore chemical athletes often use other substances to help boost their endogenous hormone production. This is referred to as post cycle therapy (PCT). The test subjects in this study did not do this either.

Sources:
J Appl Physiol. 2004 Mar;96(3):1055-62.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Great info but if you bump that var to 50mg and run it for 3 months your ldl' will be off the charts so don't get a blood test on your insurance at this time.

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
50mg ED believe it or not, was the prescribing dose my HRT doctor gave me while I was using him. Then my insurance refused to pay for 150 pills a month, and I wasn't going to spend the $1800 they wanted for them.. LOL

SJA

SJA

MuscleHead
Feb 24, 2011
There was a discussion in the past about old farts taking 20mg of var during PCT. Most geezers here (if not all) are on TRT so they blast and cruise. Adding var to low dose test may be a way to stay lean while waiting for the next ride.

C

Cabo Jo

Thick n Wide VIP
Jun 26, 2011
love var but don't want any stinkin winny.starting a nine week run at 100mg ed time to get shredded.

T

trinitysurf

Mar 10, 2014
Good post graniteman - thanks for this

B

Bigwhite

MuscleHead
Mar 20, 2013
I'm using var post surgery with low dose test. Can't hit the gym for a few months so it's helping me keep gains, stay lean, and I believe it's helping with recovery...

V

Vick

MuscleHead
Jun 13, 2012
I've always said this would be good an oral only cycle, but always got flack for it, people saying the suppression wouldn't allow any gains and shouldn't use a methylated compound for very long. What I don't get about Var is so little is absorbed even methylated that it would make sense to have an unmethylated injectable, but then that might be like dbol and eq.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I find it interesting that after 12 weeks on, men in their 60s did not see appreciable increase in their liver enzymes? Must not be too hard on the liver then.

Var is definately my favorite oral (well, my favorite oral was Jenny MacPherson in 11th grade, but that's whole different story...)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic