jacobss
What's New?

Training and Time Management

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
The drywall work is brutal!!
It was damn good money at the time. I am paying the price every step I take. Training with the wear, tear and decades old injuries is not for pussies.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I was going to respond, but we talk just about every day. You know my struggles and my approaches. It definitely is tough. Having good friends like you for the support is always a huge plus for me and helps me with accountability.
You're doing great, my brother. First of all, you have been dealt a shit hand for a minute now. Secondly, you have a lot on your plate, but that being said, you keep grinding. You keep getting back up. They say it takes a village sometimes. And I appreciate you and respect how you keep going. It's always pleasure to talk with you.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I appreciate all the responses. And agreed. It's about prioritizing, accountability and time management. Sometimes it takes a bit more work to get something done and there are a few more hurdles for sure. But hearing how many of you find a way, it motivates me to get rolling again. My powerlifting days are likely done. Or at least for the time being are not a priority. Not to mention, injuries stacked up over the years pushing heavy weight. Currently, its more about overall health and continuing to pay baseball.

I will argue with anyone that weight training has benefited or allowed me to continue to play over the years. The only drawback was the weight gain that I continue to battle to take it off. I've read a ton and read a lot of members journals regarding training and a lot about diet too. To keep the convo going, anyone have a diet that might help?

Let me preface, I'm more of an endomorph body type. I can gain weight but it's a bitch to get off. Not a huge vegetable fan. Like all the wrong ones like potatoes, yams, corn. I stress eat due to long hours and usually it ends up being sugary shit like Snickers bars. Right now, I get about 5-6 hours of sleep a night and it usually is interrupted sleep. I did a sleep study and allegedly I don't have sleep apnea. My fiancee would disagree. LOL.

I've played around with paleo and I have heard of this 30/30/30 diet. Outside of doing meth, (I'm kidding) I'm open to suggestions and as always, there are a lot of members who know their stuff. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I appreciate all the responses. And agreed. It's about prioritizing, accountability and time management. Sometimes it takes a bit more work to get something done and there are a few more hurdles for sure. But hearing how many of you find a way, it motivates me to get rolling again. My powerlifting days are likely done. Or at least for the time being are not a priority. Not to mention, injuries stacked up over the years pushing heavy weight. Currently, its more about overall health and continuing to pay baseball.

I will argue with anyone that weight training has benefited or allowed me to continue to play over the years. The only drawback was the weight gain that I continue to battle to take it off. I've read a ton and read a lot of members journals regarding training and a lot about diet too. To keep the convo going, anyone have a diet that might help?

Let me preface, I'm more of an endomorph body type. I can gain weight but it's a bitch to get off. Not a huge vegetable fan. Like all the wrong ones like potatoes, yams, corn. I stress eat due to long hours and usually it ends up being sugary shit like Snickers bars. Right now, I get about 5-6 hours of sleep a night and it usually is interrupted sleep. I did a sleep study and allegedly I don't have sleep apnea. My fiancee would disagree. LOL.

I've played around with paleo and I have heard of this 30/30/30 diet. Outside of doing meth, (I'm kidding) I'm open to suggestions and as always, there are a lot of members who know their stuff. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
As far as diet … I focus on protein and getting enough in. I have to watch my fat. I never realized how much I love fat !!! And then I let the carbs fall where they are. I eat mostly Whole Foods. It’s hard to over eat when you are trying to get in 225-250 grams of protein in.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015

I am a huge fan of carb cycling. My last prep I nearly dieted myself to death with low carbs and high training intensity. I literally ended up in the hospital with elevated CK and troponin levels high enough to indicate I had both rhabdomyolysis and a heart attack 7 weeks out from the show. I sucked it up (yes, I am dumb). Changed up the diet to carb cycling and limped into the show (still won).

I have been carb cycling since and this prep has been so fucking easy I am almost feeling like I am cheating. I had my DEXA scan two weeks ago and I was at 7% BF and was still 16 weeks out at that point. The changes over the last two weeks have been significant, I can see them and just about everyone at the gym has said something. I look like a freaking road map. I still haven't had to add in any fat burners and only running 20 mg of test/10 mg of mast/2 iu of GH a day. Training 4 days a week, with cardio 6 days a week. Cardio on training days is 20 minutes on off days is 40 minutes. Strength is still high (I squatted 537 for 16 to a 10 inch box last week and still doing 500 lbs RDLs for 8 reps at a bodyweight of 210 lbs.) Only downside to carb cycling I have ran into, high carb days can be rough. Not in the amount of food, but in shutting it off once it gets started. Ghrelin is a bitch. Medium carb and low carb days are easy. High carb days suck ass.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I am a huge fan of carb cycling. My last prep I nearly dieted myself to death with low carbs and high training intensity. I literally ended up in the hospital with elevated CK and troponin levels high enough to indicate I had both rhabdomyolysis and a heart attack 7 weeks out from the show. I sucked it up (yes, I am dumb). Changed up the diet to carb cycling and limped into the show (still won).

I have been carb cycling since and this prep has been so fucking easy I am almost feeling like I am cheating. I had my DEXA scan two weeks ago and I was at 7% BF and was still 16 weeks out at that point. The changes over the last two weeks have been significant, I can see them and just about everyone at the gym has said something. I look like a freaking road map. I still haven't had to add in any fat burners and only running 20 mg of test/10 mg of mast/2 iu of GH a day. Training 4 days a week, with cardio 6 days a week. Cardio on training days is 20 minutes on off days is 40 minutes. Strength is still high (I squatted 537 for 16 to a 10 inch box last week and still doing 500 lbs RDLs for 8 reps at a bodyweight of 210 lbs.) Only downside to carb cycling I have ran into, high carb days can be rough. Not in the amount of food, but in shutting it off once it gets started. Ghrelin is a bitch. Medium carb and low carb days are easy. High carb days suck ass.
I follow your log and let's be real, you are a freak of nature. Crazy numbers, brother. I do enjoy your knowledge and you sharing with us your journey. And as always appreciate your input.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
As far as diet … I focus on protein and getting enough in. I have to watch my fat. I never realized how much I love fat !!! And then I let the carbs fall where they are. I eat mostly Whole Foods. It’s hard to over eat when you are trying to get in 225-250 grams of protein in.
RR, you are one of the most determined and driven people I know. I know you work some crazy hours and travel a lot. Whole foods is definitely not a bad way to go. You're 100% spot on about overeating and protein. LOL.

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011

Next level crazy

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I'm in the 4:30 am club. In the gym by 5, done by 6:30. PPL + calves and 20 min cardio Mon/Wed/Fri. 40-50 min cardio and abs tues/thurs/sat. Sat I'm not up at 4:30. I plan it around whatever kids sports I'm going to that day.

I have been doing 20-25 minutes of a stretching porgram at night before bed with the wife. It was a new years resolution and we've been sticking with it. Now I'm hooked on it and haven't felt better in a looong time. I've spent most of my adult life as a stiff as a board PLer. I'm def not gumby or a yoga dude now, but having good range of motion and mobility as you get older is huge. I feel great. Now if I miss a day or 2 of stretching - I feel like shit.

Thats the other thing - I used to ruin whole training cycles over one missed day. I'm not a complete animal like Genetic Freak. I have trained myself mentally to get over missing a day. Just move on to the next one. Gym isn't going anywhere. And if something is aching that day - I train around it. It's one of the nice things about not competing at anything - there's no more deadlines. That being said, I do not miss a lot of days.

I make sure to get 225ish G protien everyday, and cycle my carbs around my lifting. Sometimes I do OMAD on tues and thurs for a few weeks if I think I'm looking fat, or cheated or had to many beers over the weekend.

I'm done competing in PL and have had multiple injuries. I don't weigh food or any of that stuff anymore. Prob hanging at 15% BF and 5-10, 225. I just care about being healthy and looking better then 95% of the rest of the mid 40s population. I train doing things I enjoy, and have been at this long enough to "wing it" with food and stay in reasonable shape. If I know I'm traveling for work, or a kids weekend tourney or somehting - I just do a little extra planning for those times. If I really wanted to kick it up and get lean, or bulk up - I know how.

Training for me is more mental health then anyting at this point. I've been trt only since like 2019.

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
The drywall work is brutal!!
I’ve tried doing a little bit of that & the taping & mudding is the worst. I’m not good enough to not have to sand a LOT!

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I’ve tried doing a little bit of that & the taping & mudding is the worst. I’m not good enough to not have to sand a LOT!
I am the same brother. Goes for welding too. Horrible welder, but I can use the hell out of the angle grinder and make it look pretty.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I follow your log and let's be real, you are a freak of nature. Crazy numbers, brother. I do enjoy your knowledge and you sharing with us your journey. And as always appreciate your input.
Thanks brother. I was blessed with the ability to do some pretty crazy things in the gym. In that respect, I am a genetic freak. It runs in the family. If my youngest brother would get some damn motivation, he would make me look like a bitch. Dude is an absolute monster.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 6 members watching this topic

, , , , ,