Garcinia Cambogia, also just known as Garcinia, is a small fruit that resembles a green pumpkin. It is native to Indonesia, though it is found in numerous countries throughout Asia. Garcinia Cambogia Whole Fruit Powder is the powdered form of the fruit, which is dried out, then ground into a powder. The fruit is commonly used in Asian cuisine to spice up chutneys and curries; another use of it is to cure and preserve fish. Adding this component to meals is considered to be efficient in making dishes more “filling.” In some villages in Malaysia, Garcinia is utilized to make a soup that is eaten before meals for weight reduction because of Garcinia’s appetite-blocking capabilities.
It’s long been used in Indian Ayurvedic medicine, for example. Spiritual healers would use Garcinia Cambogia to cure indigestion and create various “wellness” medicines. For thousands of years, Garcinia Cambogia remained relatively unknown. But in 2012, the trajectory of Garcinia Cambogia changed forever when world-famous TV personality Dr. Oz claimed that Garcinia Cambogia could be used for natural weight loss with “no diet or exercise” required. Since 2012, a number of scientific reports have been published examining the effectiveness of Garcinia Cambogia and its rumored health benefits.
How It Works
The active ingredient of Garcinia Cambogia, which is said to hold all the power, is Hydroxycitric acid. It works to reduce weight in the following ways:
· Fat burner- Researchers have carried out studies on this acid, also known as HCA, and have found that it has been linked to an increased level of fat-burning. Looking further into how the acid works, scientists found that it appears to prevent the citrate lyase enzyme from working. This enzyme is the main element your body uses to make fat cells.
· Suppressing appetite-It also raises levels of the brain chemical serotonin, which may make you feel less hungry.
· Mood enhancer – Stress is among the causes of the visceral fat that accumulates in the belly or abdomen. Visceral fat increases the risk of contracting health problems such as heart diseases. HCA reduces the levels of hormone cortisol thereby preventing production of visceral fat. This also makes you feel much better to avoid emotional eating.
HCA is directly linked to controlling the levels of cortisol in the blood. Cortisol is a common stress hormone. By lowering the levels of Cortisol and managing unnecessary anxiety, Garcinia Cambogia can help enhance the health and working of your body systems and reduce oxidative stress in the body. Once your mood is stable, this also minimizes your calorie intake and snacking.
Boosts the Body’s Metabolism.
If consumed on a regular basis, Garcinia Cambogia will improve the metabolism function and make it more efficient. The body’s metabolic process is composed of chemical reactions that provoke constant imbalance to the body. Garcinia Cambogia balances this process by making the body to use more energy than it has – which results in reduced fat.
Lowers Blood Pressure.
Since HCA keeps the cholesterol level under control, that in turn lowers the blood pressure and maintains a normal level. Blood pressure effects mood, heart, and overall life and health. Moreover, the risk of stroke and heart attack is significantly reduced
Enhances Athletic Performance.
According to a study, it may increase the time taken to get exhausted during exercise. Another, using mice, had similar results, where HCA enhanced endurance during running.
Garcinia Cambogia contains Xanthones that inhibit pre neoplastic lesions in colon and mammary cancer. More so, the Xanthones induce apoptosis in leukemia, mouth, breast, gastric, and lung cancer cell lines in vitro.
Boosts Immune System.
It is believed to help boost immune system functions as well. Taking the supplement regularly can help the immune system fight against the flu, colds, and sore throats. It may also help prevent some liver disorders and bowel problems, along with relieving symptom severities that occur with many conditions and recovery.
The recommended adult dosage of Garcinia Cambogia for weight loss ranges between 400 mg and 1,500 mg of HCA daily. The larger range of milligrams can be divided into 500 mg servings three times a day). It is recommended that the supplement not be used for more than 12 weeks. GC should be taken on an empty stomach, approximately 30-60 minutes prior to your meal, for the best outcome.
Who Is Garcinia Cambogia For?
Being a natural supplement, there are few people that should avoid using Garcinia Cambogia. However, until more research has been undertaken, it is recommended that the following people should avoid it, or use it under medical supervision:
· Patients with diabetes or hypoglycemia.
· People taking any medication that affect blood sugar.
· Patients with a high risk or history of rhabdomyolysis.
· Patients taking statins.
· Those with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia.
· Those trying to conceive, are pregnant or breastfeeding.
· Simple dosing, which makes it easy for you to remember to take your supplement.
· Fast, noticeable results that will further motivate you to keep going and reach your goals.
· The ability to lose weight while continuing to enjoy the foods you love in moderation.
· No harsh side effects like jitters or irritability that stimulant diet supplements often cause.
· Clinical evidence is weak.
· Most Garcinia Cambogia ads have deceptive and confusing information.
· This supplement is not meant for everyone.
· This supplement should not be used along with other medications.
Garcinia Cambogia Side effects
Reported side effects for Garcinia Cambogia are mild. They include:
· Becoming fuzzy or weak.
· Fatigue and brain fog.
· Skin rashes.
· An increase in catching colds/lower immune function.
· Dry mouth and bad breath.
· Digestive issues like nausea, trouble eating or diarrhea.
However, as with all dietary supplements, it could interact with medications you regularly take. Before starting HCA, it would be wise to consult your doctor.
There are some simple things that can be done to help lower its side effects. To begin with, ensure you take this supplement appropriately. Next, stay hydrated. Ensure you consume no less than 6 to 8 glasses of water (around 2 liters) per day. Also, ensure the supplement you are taking is a quality product from a reputable brand.
How to choose Garcinia Cambogia supplements.
Due to the increasing awareness of positive outcome of using the Asian fruit, there has been an increasing abundance of products containing GC extract on our shelves. It is recommended that you look for products which contain Garcinia Cambogia extract as a prominent ingredient on their label. Additionally a high proportion of HCA (50-60%) is most recommended. This supplement is best accompanied by minerals such as potassium and calcium for better absorption.
As we have discussed above, the benefits to using Garcinia Cambogia are so many. It is a proven supplement to aid in weight loss. An important point to note is that a supplement’s purpose is to ‘supplement’ an already healthy diet and lifestyle. To put it simply, your lifestyle should be the cake in your weight loss goal and a supplement like Garcinia should be the icing on the cake.
Gina Bradwell is a bodybuilder, personal trainer, freelance writer, strength coach and author of “Overweight to competitive bodybuilder.” She has written thousands of articles on anabolic chemistry, dieting and health.