Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

You want to Squat BIG than Box Squat....

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Box squatting is the most effective method to produce a first rate squat. In my opinion, box squatting is the safest way to squat b/c you don't use as much weight as you would with a regular squat. First off let me dispel the myth that Box Squats will hurt your spine, NO they wont. You don't try to lift 700lbs and you don't rock on the box. You don't touch and go. You don't wrap you knees and you don't train in a squat suit either. Box squats will cause a very large carry over to your regular squat.

Now, how do you box squat? I know you're asking yourself this since you just found out this movement will cause a VERY big increase in your regular squat. They are performed like regular squats. Fill your abdomen with air and push out against your belt. Push your knees out as far as possible to the sides and tightly arch your back and squat back (NOT DOWN) until you completely sit on the box. Every muscle is kept tight while on the box with the exception of the hip flexors. By releasing and than contracting the hip flexors and arching the upper back, you will jump off the box, building tremendous starting strength. Remember to sit back and down, NOT straight down. To ascend correctly, push the traps into the bar. This will flex the back muscles, then the hips and glutes, and finally the legs. If you push with the legs first, you will be in a good morning position b/c the glutes will raise first causing you to bend over. Remember that where the head goes, the body will follow.

Your hamstrings will be strengthened to a high degree by performing this movement, which is essential to achieving a big squat. Now go out and give them a try.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
It took me a long time to learn how to box squat.It has brought up my squat and my stone loads.Once you get it is easy.My biggest issue is not breaking at the hips consitantly and I forget you stay tight through the whole lift .I have relaxed and bombed the squat by being stuck on the box.

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
done box squats and they are good thanks for the post

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
The most common mistake lifters make when performing a box squat is they use a box which is at or above parallel. THAT's WRONG. The box should be just below parallel.

J

jute

Dec 22, 2010
Yep.good post.. I see too many people just sitting down and not sitting back on the box

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
This has become one of my favorite lifts when training legs.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Well my training partners swear by it .I'm still undecided on if I like it better than regular squats or not.The carry over is huge though.I have been box squatting consistantly for 4 months or so and doing no regular squats.I was able to crank out 205 for reps fairly easily after max repping to failure on box squats.Soon I am going to run a cycle of regular squats to see how much they have come up.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I do it differently. I always squat and than I supplement it with rotating assisting (acessory) lifts like box squats, RDL's, bottom up squats, etc.

RR you should try Bottom Up Squats:

They're best done in a squat cage so you can set the pins to exactly the bottom portion of the squat. Than just explode up, slowly lower, and come to a complete resting stop (2 count) on the pins at the bottom. That really makes it difficult, coming to a complete stop and sitting there for a 2 count. You have absolutely no momentum to carry you or help you in any way.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
Box squatting is the most effective method to produce a first rate squat. In my opinion, box squatting is the safest way to squat b/c you don't use as much weight as you would with a regular squat. First off let me dispel the myth that Box Squats will hurt your spine, NO they wont. You don't try to lift 700lbs and you don't rock on the box. You don't touch and go. You don't wrap you knees and you don't train in a squat suit either. Box squats will cause a very large carry over to your regular squat.

Now, how do you box squat? I know you're asking yourself this since you just found out this movement will cause a VERY big increase in your regular squat. They are performed like regular squats. Fill your abdomen with air and push out against your belt. Push your knees out as far as possible to the sides and tightly arch your back and squat back (NOT DOWN) until you completely sit on the box. Every muscle is kept tight while on the box with the exception of the hip flexors. By releasing and than contracting the hip flexors and arching the upper back, you will jump off the box, building tremendous starting strength. Remember to sit back and down, NOT straight down. To ascend correctly, push the traps into the bar. This will flex the back muscles, then the hips and glutes, and finally the legs. If you push with the legs first, you will be in a good morning position b/c the glutes will raise first causing you to bend over. Remember that where the head goes, the body will follow.

Your hamstrings will be strengthened to a high degree by performing this movement, which is essential to achieving a big squat. Now go out and give them a try.

I agree with most of this but we do squat in a suits straps down only on boxes (with straps up the suit is your box) and if you can squat 700 off a box then do so also we adjust box heights to be high, low, parallel and just below parallel.

We go high to overload the weight and go low to strengthen depth and I also love to go low and close stance to hammer the quads.

All DE work Speed Squats are to be done off a box!

Last edited:
SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
I like to mix it up on ME days and get one week in a 3 week cycle to go off a box then one free squat.

I train lower as week one squat week 2 deadlift and week 3 GM's or squat a gain then deload and repeat.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic