Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Working out at work... Suggestions?

TheClap

TheClap

VIP Member
Oct 25, 2011
I've recently started working out at work. When I work 3-6 12hrs night in a row I just don't have it in me to go to the gym so I'm looking into prison style workouts. I've been planning on asking for further ideas for a while now. Right now I got a couple gymnastics rings, connected them with a nylon strap and run out front several times a night, swing them over one of the bars above our ER entrance and do close grip pullups. Nice and slow, nice squeeze. Really felt it in my lats the next day. The other night I had the house supervisor (basically manages the whole hospital) out there doing pullups with me. Had to laugh about that one. People aren't so damn serious on nights.

Other ideas:
1) I can move two gurneys side by side, raise the rails and do dips.
2) Thinking about pushup bars and maybe even some DBs. But with the dips are the pushup bars even needed?
3) On the rare occaision I do get a break I could throw my weighted vest on and do some calf raises.
4) Handstand pushups for shoulders
5) Lateral raises with bags of laundry or gallons of water... or anything with some weight to it.
6) We still have a few old gurneys that have a bar at the foot of the bed. I could shrug that.

Not really even looking to make progress with this. Just looking to really maintain well while I can't make it to the gym (or rather am not willing to sacrifice more sleep) for 6 days straight. Plus I like getting a little pump going at work. Just had a need to do some pullups one night and that's how it all started.
And I'm not really counting this as workout days, i.e. replacing days in the gym, just using it to bridge while I can't make it there for a long time. Or should I really hit the pullups and the dips and make it a workout that does count as a lifting day?

So, suggestions?

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
u can allways buy one of those pullup bars that fit indside the door frames..i thnk they are called the iron man...i have on and its one of the best tools i use....dw

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
what D-dub said...

you are on the right track...

does your hospital have a PT room? they may have some goodies there you can use...

you may be able to sneak in some selectable DB's and hide them in the break room...

TheClap

TheClap

VIP Member
Oct 25, 2011
They don't have a PT room. However there may be one next year. They're opening a very large new tower with a completely new ER... there are supposed to be lots of nice new upgrades. Then, even if they don't have one there will be empty rooms in the old ER... places I could start putting one together. My director and clinical supervisor are both cool as hell. It's quite possible that I could get approval to start putting one together in one of the old rooms when the new tower opens. In the mean time my plan is Pullups, dips, pushups. I have a weighted vest if I want to start using that. Just need to figure out how many sets of what to do and whether I count this as a lifting day or just as maintenance work... if that makes any sense.

Then there's always this... in case I somehow become a total badass:

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic