pbtom
What's New?

Word Nerd

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Sometimes simply vocabulary such as asshole, dickead, mfkr gets the message across more perspicuous.
Years ago, when my daughter was about 6 or 7, she was in the car with me, and asked me, "dad, what's a dick ass?" I was a bit shocked, and asked her where she had heard that. She said, "the other day when we were at the stop light, the lady in front of us was looking at her phone, and when the light turned green she didn't go. And you yelled at her and called her a dick ass."

I then had to patiently tell her that the woman was not a dick ass, but instead was a dickhead. Was important for her to learn the proper terminology. You learn pretty quickly that your kids are always listening, so I needed to be more careful! LOL

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Today's word is:

typomania

The word means an obsession with typography, typology or symbolism. Or an obsession with getting published.
Suprisingly, it doesn't mean you freak out when people don't correct their typos?

I've got a friend who's a graphic designer, and he's relatively famous for designing a new font that was adopted for a version of the Bible. Apparently, there is a lot of effort is designing fonts that are "compact", meaning the resultant words don't occupy a lot of space on the page, but at the same time are not difficult on the eyes when reading. I had no idea. But it makes sense. You waste less paper, but who really cares if the text is difficult to read and no one bothers reading it.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
. . . . Suprisingly, it doesn't mean you freak out when people don't correct their typos? . . . .
Sir, it's no surprise to people who are in the advanced stages of typomania. It's a progressive disease; people who are in the early stages just haven't lived long enough to endure and inflict their symptoms on normal people. o_O

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Today's word is:

epistemology

This word is a noun and means study of knowledge, especially its nature, origin, limits, validity, etc. Its root is the Greek word "episteme," meaning knowledge.

Interesting word nerd fact is that the earliest documented use of this word is only 1847. Strangely, this word is quite new, and yet it sounds like one that would be ancient, having a Greek root.

Last edited:
BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Avid readers make good writers, as they are regularly reading good writing. Good for her!! She likely knows when to use "affect" vs. "effect." And can properly distinguish between there, they're and their.

*Lol*...I still have to look those up when I use them...

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Years ago, when my daughter was about 6 or 7, she was in the car with me, and asked me, "dad, what's a dick ass?" I was a bit shocked, and asked her where she had heard that. She said, "the other day when we were at the stop light, the lady in front of us was looking at her phone, and when the light turned green she didn't go. And you yelled at her and called her a dick ass."

Ooops!!!...

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Today's word is:

yestereve

This word is a noun that means yesterday evening. I guess this must be the cool way of saying "last night." At least it's the kind of word that means just what it sounds like.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Today's word is:

yestereve

This word is a noun that means yesterday evening. I guess this must be the cool way of saying "last night." At least it's the kind of word that means just what it sounds like.
Haha that is a word that I could see some of us using that you don’t need google to figure out the definition.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Today's word is:

marcescence

Pronunciation: mahr-SES-uhns

A noun meaning the retention of dead leaves, as opposed to shedding.
I have no idea when I would use this word. I suppose an oak tree does this, as it retains its leaves during the winter, and then doesn't drop its leaves until the spring when the new buds cause them to fall?

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
If Oak trees do indeed experience marcescence only after they get new buds, that explains why they do not during prepubescence ... I guess o_O

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Today's word is:

aggiornamento

PRONUNCIATION: uh-johr-nuh-MEN-toh

This word is a noun and means a process of modernization or bringing up to date.
Was not sure how to pronounce this at first, but it's clearly an Italian root word. Maybe Musk is gonna give Twitter some aggiornamento.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic