Kiddorism
What's New?

Word Nerd

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I admit to being quite the word nerd. My brothers just accuse me of being a pompous a-hole because I like 25 cent words. LOL Sometimes I'll read a sentence, and just love the way the writer used a word or a phrase. Here's a phrase I read today:

"inveterate truculence"

"inveterate" means habitual or persistent
"truculent" means belligerent or verbally aggressive or vitriolic

So if someone is displaying inveterate truculence, they're regularly being a verbal butt head. Try to use it a few times in a sentence, and it'll become easier to remember. Feel free to share you own favorites.

Rock Diesel

Rock Diesel

Mar 16, 2022
I'm the same way always trying to expand my vocabulary lol. The most recent word I came across is deleterious. I was looking for a way to describe how something can negatively affect your health over time and low and behold... Deleterious.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
There was a Mod (on another board !) once who was a bit of a word nerd and liked to show off.
I asked him once if being pedantic meant he liked little boys, and he did not take kindly to that at all.

To this day I am not sure if he, or I, was exhibiting inveterate truculence ... or if the term should only be used to describe people with whom you disagree.

Years ago my pet Octopus, Sissy, began biting when I did not feed her on time, but I guess invertebrate truculence should be reserved for another thread.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Wordsmith.org is a good word nerd site that has a Word of the Day. Today's word is:

manuscribe

Manuscribe is a verb that means to write by hand.

So a personal handwritten letter is manuscribed. Not sure I would consider a typed out email to be manuscribed, even though it's done "by your hand." I consider written to be done with a pen or pencil.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
It would be so cool* to be named "John W. Smith" so you could tell everyone what the "W" stood for.

* see also, "keen" or "groovy." **

** see "ancient slang terms" :cool:

Rock Diesel

Rock Diesel

Mar 16, 2022
Wordsmith.org is a good word nerd site that has a Word of the Day. Today's word is:

manuscribe

Manuscribe is a verb that means to write by hand.

So a personal handwritten letter is manuscribed. Not sure I would consider a typed out email to be manuscribed, even though it's done "by your hand." I consider written to be done with a pen or pencil.
I will be checking that site regularly.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Lol, my 10yr old daughter is an avid reader and talks like a 60yr old English professor.
She always says "as well" instead of "too". "Dad had ice-cream and I did as well" instead of "I did too"
She hits me with "in so far as" as well lol.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Lol, my 10yr old daughter is an avid reader and talks like a 60yr old English professor.
She always says "as well" instead of "too". "Dad had ice-cream and I did as well" instead of "I did too"
She hits me with "in so far as" as well lol.
Avid readers make good writers, as they are regularly reading good writing. Good for her!! She likely knows when to use "affect" vs. "effect." And can properly distinguish between there, they're and their.

sityslicker1

sityslicker1

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 6, 2010
I admit to being quite the word nerd. My brothers just accuse me of being a pompous a-hole because I like 25 cent words. LOL Sometimes I'll read a sentence, and just love the way the writer used a word or a phrase. Here's a phrase I read today:

"inveterate truculence"

"inveterate" means habitual or persistent
"truculent" means belligerent or verbally aggressive or vitriolic

So if someone is displaying inveterate truculence, they're regularly being a verbal butt head. Try to use it a few times in a sentence, morr and it'll become easier to remember. Feel free to share you own favorites.
Sometimes simply vocabulary such as asshole, dickead, mfkr gets the message across more perspicuous.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic