Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Will a calorie surplus eventually become maintenance level?

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Let's say my maintenance calories is 3500 but I routinely eat 4500/day. If I continue to cycle I would gain both fat and muscle. Once I grow to a certain weight, wouldn't 4500 then become my maintenance? By this reasoning can we believe that the initial fat gain will eventually disappear as the lean mass would require more calories eventually?

I can gain weight. I have quite an appetite. But I always get spooked when I see too much bodyfat, then I diet back down. Is this preventing me from reaching my potential? Would it be stupid to think that I would eventually stop gaining fat?

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
This is just my idea..... I guess I like an old school approach, but why not dedicate certain amounts of time to gaining weight and certain amounts of time to trimming the bf ?

For example, how about for 4-6 months you pack on as much size and muscle as possible. Body fat is of course going to come with this.

Then, for 8-10 weeks, focus on dieting to reveal what you have built.

Then repeat.

Just an idea.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
It would, yes, but it will take quite a while and the fat gains might be more than you want. This is why you typically want to bulk on 500 calorie surpluses and it will catch up much faster and fat gains won't be out of control. IMO, 500 calorie increments is a really good place to be, unless you're super lean, then you might want to be a bit higher.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
Fat gains are fat gains, lean tissue gains are lean tissue gains. As your lean mass increases you would need to continue to increase cals to continue to gain. Eventually yes your maint could be your original bulking intake however it won't happen by simply staying at those same cals and waiting to reach that point as it's not quite that liner,it would be a loooong journy. Your maint cals are what you need to see no change so running maint you will not see much in the way of fat losses generally speaking.

Example:

a 5'10 40 year old male training 5x a week weighing 200lbs has maint cals between 2670 and 2830 (no equation is perfect). That guy has to gain another 50lbs or so to get to a 3k-3280 cal maint.

(it's hypothetical everyone is somewhat different).

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic