Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Wild game protein

A

Anabolic Beast

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2010
Went bow hunting this past weekend and ended up harvesting this buck. Came in following two does. Was going to shoot one of the does until I saw him coming. Shot him at less than 20 yards and watched him drop at around 80 yards. He’s a main frame 10 pointer with two extra points on his brows making him a 12 pointer with a 20 inch inside spread. Live weight was over 190 pounds.

Attachments

• D9CABED7-DDA6-49C5-8E8C-F9968A6B04AE.jpeg
    D9CABED7-DDA6-49C5-8E8C-F9968A6B04AE.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 147
tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Beautiful!! Nice work! Just curious, if live weight was 190, approximately how much meat will you get?

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Incredible buck! Were you able to get a age on him and what part of the country you hunting in? Early bow just opened up here in NY

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
You shoot him out of self-defense? lol Bow?

In my parts (PA) that's a monster once-in-a-lifetime buck. You mounting it? If not, try a European skull mount on your own. I did a few, Cheap and easy: just time consuming.

A

Anabolic Beast

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2010
Beautiful!! Nice work! Just curious, if live weight was 190, approximately how much meat will you get?
Should get between 30 to 40% of the live weight back in deboned meat. I expect to get around 65lbs of meat back, but you never know when you take them to a processor.

A

Anabolic Beast

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2010
Incredible buck! Were you able to get a age on him and what part of the country you hunting in? Early bow just opened up here in NY
I didn't age him but I'm guessing he was 3 or 4 years old. I killed him in north Georgia.

A

Anabolic Beast

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2010
You shoot him out of self-defense? lol Bow?

In my parts (PA) that's a monster once-in-a-lifetime buck. You mounting it? If not, try a European skull mount on your own. I did a few, Cheap and easy: just time consuming.

The head is already at the taxidermist, he picked it up from the processor.

I'm primarily a bow hunter and shot him with my bow. I've got three European skull mounts that I also did on my own. I cleaned the skulls by putting the heads in black trash bags then hanging them high in a tree in the woods for 4-6 months. Leave a small hole in the bottom of the trash bag and let nature do the rest. Easier than boiling and scraping the meat off the skull. I hear putting the head in a large ant bed works well too, but I'm worried a coyote or other animal will drag it off. After taking the skulls down and cleaning them up, I bleach them using a solution of water and hydrogen peroxide making sure to not get any on the horns.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
The head is already at the taxidermist, he picked it up from the processor.

I'm primarily a bow hunter and shot him with my bow. I've got three European skull mounts that I also did on my own. I cleaned the skulls by putting the heads in black trash bags then hanging them high in a tree in the woods for 4-6 months. Leave a small hole in the bottom of the trash bag and let nature do the rest. Easier than boiling and scraping the meat off the skull. I hear putting the head in a large ant bed works well too, but I'm worried a coyote or other animal will drag it off. After taking the skulls down and cleaning them up, I bleach them using a solution of water and hydrogen peroxide making sure to not get any on the horns.

Tell the woman to make room on the wall.

We have much in common. My first attempted with a European mount was a small 6 during bow. I tried the bury in the ground up to the antler trick. Fuukin beagle dug it up and chewed it up the next day.

Second one went ok but I power washed the nose cartilage away. Got it right on 3 and 4.

Lil Ed

Lil Ed

VIP Member
Jul 15, 2011
Big Deer in GA and FL. driving around GA to AL you have to try and not hit them with your car a few times of the year. we have very big ELK in WA but the Deer are so tiny compared to the ones in GA.

you guys may love this site, they have episodes were they hunt game with navy seals, anyways hope you guys like it. if you find the episode were they hunt the black bear its impressive how fast the Navy Seal took out that bear when he showed his 2 ears .. he was dead in under a second.

https://www.themeateater.com/

danrojigga

danrojigga

Rottens Pimp
May 24, 2011
I bow hunt my own land here in Oklahoma and process them myself. Some years I dont have time but its a fun, tasty and very healthy. I make a lot of summer sausages, Jerky and even have made my own deer bologna before. Great hobby to pass on to your children.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic