Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Wide Grip Dips

arnold

arnold

Sep 9, 2010
I've been doing a little experiment for chest training. I struggle somewhat with chest developement and have been stagnating so I decided to try something different. I remember reading in a leo costa book that movements where u move your body through space are the best muscle builders b/c they are usually the most natural types of movements. pull ups, squats, deadlifts, etc.

I've been doin nothing but wide grip with my chin down for the last few weeks and i've been getting alot stronger and my chest is looking a whole lot better. the movement feels very natural and easy.

very surprised how much more effective my same workout is just by doing a different exercise.

pux888

pux888

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2010
Your right on about how any exercise that moves you body through a range of motion activates more muscle fibers. Dips are awesome for a full rounded chest. Once you feel comfortable start adding some weight to the movement, it can be a fine mass builder.

jdjack

jdjack

MuscleHead
Sep 22, 2010
Just take it SLOW. These are an easy way to fuck your shoulders up... FOR GOOD.

D

dropshot001

Sep 15, 2010
i'm a fan of those. i like to have a slower negative on those though

W1LL

W1LL

Oct 5, 2010
Wide grip dips are tough on the shoulders, I prefer closer grip and to focus on the negative.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Just take it SLOW. These are an easy way to **** your shoulders up... FOR GOOD.

BINGO. This. The farther out your hands are from your body the more pressure is places on the shoulder girdle. I wouldn't recommend it.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I get it in my elbows but I do narrow. But, BI is right, watch those shoulders and definitely slow it down. Lots of pressure on the shoulder/rotator cuff area.

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I don't like to use a lot of weight because of already existing problems. I prefer reps on an assisted dip/pullup machine.

I start wide and superset to close, always a slow negative and no exploding to the top. I start slow up and pick up speed as it's easier on the shoulders.

I also lean forward for chest. I use them every other week with my back/chest routine.

One set looks like this-

Pullup-

Wide to med to close.

Dip-

Wide to close.

In combination it's been a good giant set for me. Sometimes I add standing fixed BB curls to finish it off. Just depends on the order of my exercises.

H

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Wide grip dips is a recipe for injury waiting to happen. I would not advise this movement to anyone just starting out. Definitely advanced movement once you have built up stregnth.

Dangling Unit

Dangling Unit

MuscleHead
Jan 2, 2011
Like everyone else said, don't go wide. I do them by clenching the butt cheeks and leaning forward. It puts it more towards a decline press position.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic