Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Why no DOMS?

nousername

nousername

Mar 30, 2014
I feel kind of funny for asking this b/c I am afraid thaat it's a sstupid question but I can't figure it out so I'm going to.
I work out 5 sometimes 6 dys/wk. And I rarely if ever experience any sort of DOMS. I wonder if I'm not pushing enough weightt orr if I'm not doing enough exercises. I still consider myself somewhat of a newbie to this so I thought I should ask u guys.
I work one body part at a time. I usuallyy do 3 to 4 exercises and always 3 setss with 12-15 reps. By the time I have reached the 12th or 15th rep I am at failure most off thee time. So shoulddn't I be experieencing some sort of muscle soreness? I would ask how much weight would b appropriate at this stage of my developeement but I knoww that theree is no way you guys would know that for me. lol!
Would it b safe to say thaat since I am not experiencing delayed muscle soreness that I should increasee my weight? or what suggestions would you have ladiess? Sorry iff this is a rediculouss thread to start. thanks for any comments

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
DOMS is caused by the eccentric portion of a lift and being unadapted to the stress. If you don't experience DOMS it's likely bc you're adapted to the stress or less likely that your doing concentric-less work or heavy negatives.

Also, DOMS in isolation isn't an indicator of a good training session. You shouldn't be training to get DOMS bc that just means it'll affect your training the following days and again doesn't mean you did anything worthwhile. Some of my best training sessions have produced absolutely no DOMS and to be honest I rarely get it anymore nowadays.

Last edited:
TNCOWBOY

TNCOWBOY

Jan 21, 2014
Its far from a stupid question for any amateur like myself. I am in my 6th week of training after being off for nearly two years. I notice that I get significant DOMS after leg training but not that much to none in other body parts the past week or so. And really its always been that way when Ive trained.

If Twitter is any guide, I am not alone there. If my premise is correct why are DOMS more prevalent in the legs?

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Its far from a stupid question for any amateur like myself. I am in my 6th week of training after being off for nearly two years. I notice that I get significant DOMS after leg training but not that much to none in other body parts the past week or so. And really its always been that way when Ive trained.

If Twitter is any guide, I am not alone there. If my premise is correct why are DOMS more prevalent in the legs?

Your biggest muscle groups are in the legs which means they can take more training stress to cause adaptation. If you're unadapted to the stress it means more DOMS.

nousername

nousername

Mar 30, 2014
DOMS is caused by the eccentric portion of a lift and being unadapted to the stress. If you don't experience DOMS it's likely bc you're adapted to the stress or less likely that your doing eccentric-less work.

Also, DOMS in isolation isn't an indicator of a good training session. You shouldn't be training to get DOMS bc that just means it'll affect your training the following days and again doesn't mean you did anything worthwhile. Some of my best training sessions have produced absolutely no DOMS and to be honest I rarely get it anymore nowadays.
And the ECCENTRIC portion of a lift is?
Andyeah I knew that DOMS was not the be all end all of a good traininng session I just wonder if never ever experiencig them might indicate I'm not pushing hard enough for growth.
Thank u guys so much

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
And the ECCENTRIC portion of a lift is?
Andyeah I knew that DOMS was not the be all end all of a good traininng session I just wonder if never ever experiencig them might indicate I'm not pushing hard enough for growth.
Thank u guys so much

My apologies, I made a mistake in my original post. Eccentric-less work should have been concentric-less.

Eccentric contractions are the lengthening contractions portion of a lift. The negatives. In a squat, it would be the descent, where the hamstrings for example lengthen as they stretch between the knee and pelvis. This lengthening stretch creates the stretch reflex/stretch-shortening cycle/hip drive out of the bottom.

I squat 3x per week currently. I experience no DOMS in my legs whatsoever 90-95% of the time. In the last ~3months I want to say I've added 1in of size to my thighs and added over 40lbs to my squat (I also sprained my intercostal muscle during this time so progress was hindered by that).

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
eccentric = lowering the weight

concentric = lifting it

Of course it doesn't sound nearly as highfalutin when you say it that way.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Skip a back day one week. The following week hit back hard and heavy. Viola, DOMS.

As stated above, its about adaptation. The frequency in which you work a body part will change that part's ability to adapt to the stress. Changing the movement (a different exercise) will have a similar result.

I discovered that if I train legs 2x per week, I am much less sore and also get better results.

If you get DOMS, it is a good indicator that you worked the body part hard enough but it does not guarantee growth. Also, DOMS is not needed for growth.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
How many days per week do you train?

I train 4-5 days per week in the offseason and 6-7 days on season

during the on season, I don't really plan for rest days. It is inevitable that something will pop up be it a social occasion or what not.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic