pbtom
What's New?

Why I use a Personal Trainer

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
OH boy, this past week was truly a valid reason I use a personal trainer.

I've had a personal trainer now (same one) for about 3-4 yrs now. I love her. Normally we train 3x's week but this past year i had my RC repair surgery so we took that down to 1 a week and we did legs lol. So all year, i've been still training in the gym on my own 4-5x's/week but only once with her.
Well i've been doing a workout that i had changed up every 4-5 weeks or so. And with my injury and me training to get my strength back, i'm very conservative when it has been coming to increasing weight/knowing when to increase, etc.
I had been doing deadlifts at 135# and felt really good and was afraid to increase. Well a couple weeks ago, i took it up to 155# and felt good.

This week I was with my personal trainer, and for some reason the 135# felt light so I was doing lots of reps. She put more weight on and was still doing lots of reps. She said i'm ready for 225#, so loaded it up. Boy was she right. Cranked out some reps no problem. Had great momentum going, but got a foot cramp and i had to stop LOL. I could have still went, i had more reps in me. I was bumming.

I think it must be a female thing....we are hard on ourselves, we don't push ourselves like we should or whatever the reason it is all mental. Because clearly i was physically able to do it. There is something to be said in working with a personal trainer and having more self confidence in handling the weights that they give you.

KUDOS to my personal trainer!!!! Well worth the $$ I give her.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
I think it must be a female thing....we are hard on ourselves, we don't push ourselves like we should or whatever the reason it is all mental. Because clearly i was physically able to do it. There is something to be said in working with a personal trainer and having more self confidence in handling the weights that they give you.

I think this translates to guys too.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
I think this translates to guys too.

oh really?! Cool to know.
Could just be a buddy system thing too. I find when I train with da hubs, sometimes the weights feel lighter and i can go heavier.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
I think the mental part of working out is huge and often understated.

I workout alone and there are days when my mind reasons why I need to skip or go light. Sometimes my mind wins those battles. A PT in my corner could help with that, and that's why I've considered having one from time to time, but my schedule is irregular so its hard to make plans.

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
For sure its all mental. And that goes for all sports, not just body building..

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
Sometimes just having someone see you without the influence of our internal dialogue is enough to realize more potential than you imagine yourself to have. Anytime you can get an additional perspective and push is worth the $$$

N

Norse12

Dec 7, 2019
A couple years ago I went with my wife (We hardly ever trained together, she trained in the daytime while I'm at work) and she sat down on the leg press sled. I don't remember exactly the weights but I almost doubled the weights she first put on. We had a bit of pep talk - come on, it's in your head, it looks scary, don't worry you won't be stuck in a bad position, let's see you do 1 rep, etc. And she did it, pushed out 8 reps at almost double the weight of last week! It was all in her head. It really got her thinking of the mental aspect of lifting.

Same story two weeks ago, she was scared of squatting 100kg (220#) even though she could rep 5 at 90kg. When she finally got her head around it and decided to give it a go, she pushed out 1 proper rep. The 100kg was just a scary number. (At 61kg/135# body weight).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
I been training literally serious for 40 years. So I hear ya ! Sometimes the most challenging part of the workout is getting in my car to get to the gym . I have to wake early hit gym before work . Always have because after work I’m just too mentally fried . I guess we all need to draw reasons from deep within ourselves to motivate and inspire . I’ll admit as I get older mentally I find gets even harder as I’ll look around and question why do I do this ? I also for 45 years study now teach several martial arts and sometimes I’ll look around realize I’m 20-30 years older then every one and will question myself . However recently I retired early from state service put myself through school again and began new career- so now I’m a veterinarian technician and yes I’m still old enough to be most people’s grandfather. But it really makes me think of training as well. Just always remember how great it feels to be in great shape . We here are a different breed. To me when done right , bodybuilding is the fountain of youth . Most of us across forums are stronger and in better shape then 80% of the world population. My point we all find ways to inspire and motivate. Personal Training is not for everyone but if it works for you then carry on !! Bodybuilding isn’t a mindless pursuit it takes guts self discipline perseverance. Be proud !

IronBreez

IronBreez

Aug 3, 2017
Personal trainer can help a lot of trainers to achieve their goals, so why not use that service if you have that possibility?
I have had coaches in my life who have helped me a lot.
I have also been giving personal trainer sessions and coaching services.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic