Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

Why high rep olys are no more dangerous than heavy singles

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
If my only goal were to be as strong as possible, I obviously wouldn't be doing that.
But that's not my only goal.

The higher rep is not only good for technique work but also for conditioning
when you are an endurance/strength athlete.

Last edited:
D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
If you're doing 20 snatches...you're form may start to suffer towards the very end - not 20 reps the entire time, especially at 135 which is the weight most
of the workouts use. But honestly, advanced athletes form really doesn't suffer at that weight. Novices of course use a lighter weight so their form doesn't suffer any more than an advanced lifter. It's light so they can work on form.

All I know is the shit works. I'm growing, I'm fast, I'm lean, I'm stronger than I've ever been. Of course I did bodybuilding before so the main goal wasn't strength but I was about 15lbs heavier. I not only do higher rep oly work, but I also do Takano programming which consists of mostly doubles and triples.

Your form will begin to suffer well before the 20th rep. Just bc it goes unnoticed doesn't mean it's not happening. You're right an advanced athlete's form may not suffer at 135lbs and 20reps but what the hell is a 135lb snatch and 20reps going to do for an advanced athlete besides raising his body temperature? It sure as shit isn't going to increase his maximal strength, explosive strength, acceleration, and probably not even his conditioning either bc he'll be doing something much more effective for conditioning.

It's so light they can work on form really means it's so light it's not driving an physiologic adaptation.

Of course you'll see some initial progress, you came from a BB'ing background you said so you're not adapted to this type of work yet otherwise you wouldn't see progress. I'm not saying you're a beginner but a newb to the gym can increase his squat by pedaling on a bike. Does that mean we or even he should pedal bikes to increase our/his squat?

so how do you know your progress is from the high rep Oly work and not the takano programming?

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
If my only goal were to be as strong as possible, I obviously wouldn't be doing that.
But that's not my only goal.

The higher rep is not only good for technique work but also for conditioning
when you are an endurance/strength athlete.

There are more efficient ways to condition yourself that involve much less risk of injury. High rep work is horrible for technique especially in the Oly lifts bc form breaks down if you're using a weight that drives a physiologic response.

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Form always breaks down for a 1RM b/c it's your 1RM but it's a slip in form for that 1 rep, not 20 reps repeatedly. That's the difference... the continual bad form which does lead to injury. It's not that it might, it does. Just ask physical therapists and chiropractors. They will tell your CFers are their best clients.

Also woofing up the weight doesn't give the lifter the benefit gained from performing the Oly lift. Getting everything to fire as unit, building strength, and especially speed is negated when the lift is performed completely wrong which is what I see many times when CFers perform high rep lifts.

I stand by my statement that CFers should perform Oly assisting lifts in higher rep schemes and not the classical lifts.

I agree wholeheartedly with this ^^^^

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
you're basically doing 30 singles...that's not uncommon in the oly world.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
I stand by my statement that CFers should perform Oly assisting lifts in higher rep schemes and not the classical lifts.

I actually like this idea and will look into implementing it into my training.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I actually like this idea and will look into implementing it into my training.

It's safer and most don't know this b/c aren't Oly lifters but the assisting lifts clean pulls, clean high pulls, snatch pulls, snatch high pulls, etc are just as effective as the classical lifts in increasing strength, speed, agility, coordination, etc... You can perform them from the floor, hang, blocks, and from the scarecrow position (straight up so less ROM than from the hang). The hang is usually performed from right around the knee.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
you're basically doing 30 singles...that's not uncommon in the oly world.

I used to perform a helluva lot more than 30 singles in a training session but I also worked up to it. I didn't start out that way. Work up to bigger volume.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
A short workout the other day was 5 hang snatches (135#) right into 5 overhead squats (135#) then a 200m run (5 rounds).

What are your thoughts on this workout?

Basically I would do 4 hang snatches, drop the bar. Catch my breath, Then do 1 hang snatch into 5 OH squats.
My coach did them all unbroken.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I don't think sets of 5 is to much. Personally, I'm a fan of triples. I'd do 2 triples instead (I realize that it would be 1 more rep) if it was me and then 5 OH squats. As for the run... it's be more like a trot for me, lol.

Last edited:
S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
New polka dot socks came in today. I've got the whole costume now. Yeah baby. 1272 hang snatches tonight for 27 rounds.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
New polka dot socks came in today. I've got the whole costume now. Yeah baby. 1272 hang snatches tonight for 27 rounds.

Do you have the matching sports bra and underwear??? That's the real question.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic