Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Why everyone should pull Sumo or is it's No one should pull Sumo

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
I'm a big fan of Sumo, but pull Conv. still every week.

I was looking for a new article for from Wenning and came across this one..

Why (Almost) Nobody Should Pull Sumo
http://startingstrength.com/article/why_almost_nobody_should_pull_sumo

and Matt Wennings

“Everyone Should Sumo Deadlift”
http://theathletedaily.com/matt-wenning-sumodeadlift/

The first one is from Starting Strength. One of my least favorite Forums. Seems you have to have a Master in Physics to lift weights over there. To them they focus on if it looks better on paper with all these calculations, leverages etc... that is will transfer into the real world. Doesn't work light that.

Anyway read both links and see which one makes the most sense.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Both articles are hitting different points I think. First is saying Conv. is just more powerful and not the best to pull the most with. While Wennings kind of says the samething and uses the Sumo to build up weak links and set up new lifters for better hip mobility.

A few years ago Conv. Pulls had almost all the top records. I've seen a shift of that towards Sumo pullers now. Specially in the 198-220 classes. I'd like to see the top 3 or 5 in each class set ups.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
The debate goes on...

I somewhat agree with those who say it depends on body proportions. Also on your goals. But mostly think if you are deadlifting at all you are already in the cool club.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Matt Wenning actually does have a master's in biomechanics and is strong as fuck and has coached other people to be strong as fuck.

Starting strength is irrelevant

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I will admit... I haven't give sumo a real chance when it comes to my training but I'm considering putting it in as my assistance lift for my conventional pulls.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Matt Wenning actually does have a master's in biomechanics and is strong as fuck and has coached other people to be strong as fuck.

Starting strength is irrelevant

I think I read that some where before. When you read the link from Starting Strength. This is how 90% of the post on that form are. I'm sure not everyone over there as a Masters in biomechanics either. Then you read Wennings. From a guy with a Masters in biomechanics. It actually makes sense and is proven to transfer into the real world. Everyone over on SS forums is like 99% of the personal trainers I run into are like. They like to throw out big words to try make themselves sound like they know something about lifting. Yet I turn around and see them giving horrible advance on just the most basic movements.

Wenning for the WIN.....

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
I will admit... I haven't give sumo a real chance when it comes to my training but I'm considering putting it in as my assistance lift for my conventional pulls.

A couple of years ago I pulled only Conv... What I did was during my warm up sets. Every other set I'd Pull Sumo. What ever stance felt better by the time I hit my Top sets. I went with that. Starting off of course Conv. was my go to, But over time. Eventually my sumo had gotten better and was starting to be used in my top sets. Till one day it just blew past my best conv. pull.

Yomo

Yomo

MuscleHead
Dec 18, 2015
I definitely think both ways should be trained...the bad rep that it's "cheating" is pretty lame too, at least when taking into consideration the aspect of PL and moving the most weight possible within the guidelines of the sport...the main problem I see, is people avoiding Conventional pulling regardless of leverages because sumo "feels" easier...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic