Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Why Egg Whites Are Better (Or Not)

bybon

bybon

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2011
There's been some recent (and always will be) discussion over eggs and their benefits or detriments to health (although no evidence for the latter).

There's only one specific reason why egg whites would be better-lower calories and a high source of protein. If you're looking for a source of low calories and high protein, egg whites are the way to go. The only theoretical negative to this would be the source of avidin, but cooking destroys that. There are some possible negatives to egg white, though; those being:

Ovalbumin-binds to digestive eznymes
Ovotransferrin-binds to iron (could be a good thing if you're on AAS due to a high RBC count which causes clotting, which then causes the clot risks of AAS use)
Ovomucoid-binds to digestive enzymes
Ovomucin-inhibits trypsin (trypsin helps protein absorption)
Cystatin-inhibits cysteine (precursor to glutathione)

If given the choice, don't ignore the benefits of the yolk like has been mentioned by ketsugo:
Amino Acids
water
vitamin A
Vitamin B1, B2, B5, B9
Calcium
Iron
Magnesium
Phosphorous
Potassium
Zinc
Choline
Cholesterol

Cholesterol seems to be a big issue; LDL being the main conspirator. This is where I want everyone to know something important-without cholesterol you CANNOT synthesize testosterone.[1]

LDL bring cholesterol to the tissues (muscle being one of them). If you the testosterone making cholesterol in your muscles, then YOU NEED LDL. LDL also has a role in helping your innate immune system.[2] Get that damn LDL cholesterol.

Do not go without sources of LDL. Health issues can arise when there is too much LDL; just like everything in life there needs to be a balance. Just get your blood tests (and tests on the heart will help a shitload) and keep everything in check. Also, LDL appears to be harmless until they get into blood vessels and become oxidized by free radicals[3], so make sure to eat your fruits and vegetables.

1. Genes involved in androgen biosynthesis and the mal... [Horm Res. 1992] - PubMed - NCBI
2. Apolipoprotein B Is an innate barrier agai... [Cell Host Microbe. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI
3. Inhibition of Human Low-Density Lipoprotein Oxidation in Relation to Composition of Phenolic Antioxidants in Grapes (Vitis vinifera) - Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry (ACS Publications)

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
You can add to that list of why whites are better: pesticides. They are typically fat soluble and therefore any pesticide present would reside in the yolk.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
If I scramble up 6 eggs I'd leave 2 yolks in there.... I have no big scientific reason other than a few less calories and a better tasting meal :)

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
I eat whole eggs and this topic has been done to death, it was posted about recently actually.

bybon

bybon

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2011
I eat whole eggs and this topic has been done to death, it was posted about recently actually.

Yep, and now its settled. Whites are good for a lower calorie, high protein source. Whole eggs are best if you have the choice.

Q

Qwerty1424

MuscleHead
Mar 2, 2011
many studies show that yolk does not increase cholesterol even if the yolk has 215mg per 1...

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
many studies show that yolk does not increase cholesterol even if the yolk has 215mg per 1...

Ya I've got a couple good 1s that are solid that show exactly that, and even if it did the body has the ability to limit production and as a result keep homostasis.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Yep, and now its settled. Whites are good for a lower calorie, high protein source. Whole eggs are best if you have the choice.

Great f/n post bybon. You grow on me with every post lol. All you guys.....seriously luv thus friggin site ! I hear ya nut but for me we can never overdi this topic, look even the whole testosterone thing is fascinating. I will keep it going by saying. Yolks build muscle, they are protien mostly so the whole diet low calorie thing is insignificant, thats almost like saying im dieting so ill cut out the casien isolate and use just whey isolate because one scoop is lower in protien. Just eat the whole egg there still is no benefit even when dieting. If calories are that big a deal then eat half a whole egg . There is no benefit to eating whites. All the best nutrients are in the yolks. However they are made to eat together.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Now im sure someone is shakin their noggin, saying wtf? Is kman sayin? Hmm.....i love B's article. Read it again. Especially the part about testosterone. Then click over to my myriad of posts n articles. After that, i cant imagine why eating white for dieting or fatloss is even a considerstion....yolks are mostly protien, with small amounts of fatty acids and cholesterol. Now it is proven that they wont raise hdl. As far as fatloss, there are antioxidants, enzymes and nutrients in yolks that are not in whites. Egg white to me are white bread, however they are protien but nothing else. The fatty acids and other nutrients help build and or maintain your testosterone. Test the reason why men are leaner, test that prevents fat gain. Test that pronotes power. If ya need to lose fat, if you are on a limited diet you need fatty acids to burn fat, to help test levels in turn also preventing fat gain also improving how protien is assimilated. You wsnt to lower calories eat half of a whole egg or eat two instead of four. Thinking the egg whites will be better to lose fat is a myth and plain foolish. To those who cant believe how much they read, in this board alone we got enough footnotes, references and articles to support this. Find posts with footnotes, refs to google more. Yup their still are a few ignorant articles around, but there are hundreds of papers on this. However i guess if i had been eating whites and buyin eggbeaters half my life, id be a bit demoralized. However for my 30 years of bodybuilding, especially the DECADE or so of training and competing a few times, totally natural before discovering the aas world, ive always eaten whole eggs daily. Mostly cuz they are cheap and i love eating them, scrambled, hard boiled, dropped, frittada omelate, cheese ect ect ect.. im lean, my cholesterol always below 110-120. I been living this for 30 years. Ive read and studied hundreds of articles, med journals, gironda, palumbo, duchaine, roberts... read them all, see good parts in each, but not one would i ever follow exclusively, noobs read a few years of one guy and actually believe that their few years and barely brought their bodies to natural potential before resorting to aas lmfao, really now! Im 45. Im better than i was in my 20s. I have to laugh when people reference that as old or thinking they can take me in training. I dont believe im in my prime yet , especially cuz i live this life. I use aas to enhance my health. Bodybuilding when done right, is hard hard work ( read adjos post) its the real fountain of youth. You young guys have years of health and progress ahead of you. Carry on

AWARE72

AWARE72

MuscleHead
Oct 17, 2010

Yes whole eggs and if I need to reduce calories, then I just eat less whole eggs. The best part of the egg is the yoke.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
this thread develop my understanding regarding the use of the white egg.
This is the reason that most of the people use white and avoid the eggs yolk to build the bodybuilding.

thats exactly the faulty though process that this thread stands for- the yolks should not be avoided, they contain protien and nutrients that are just as conducive if not more - people cut them out because they dont realize that they dont need to for any reason- the nutrients are in yolks- you are right- the white are just plain protient and nothing more- no fatty acids that form building blocks of hormones, no antioxidants - just read on- the egg should be kept whole thats the article

KBD

KBD

I Look Good...
Sep 13, 2010
to be honest man i dont get to deep into that shit, i eat 12 eggs every morning.. whole. And my cholesterol is A-ok

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic