Latest Member
small wee
What's New?

Why do you do it??

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
Why do i do what i do? why do you do what you do? what drives you to do it? what do you want from it? why are you even doing it? i pondered these questions today when walking on the treadmill.

earlier today a friend had sent me a message that my comment in her log had discouraged her. she knew it was meant for fun but to her it made her wonder why she was doing this. now dont get me wrong, i dont randomly give people a hard time (ok, i do), but i have followed 2 of her other logs and they are usually full of energy and full of enthusiasm and this current log is down and depressing, so completely different from who she is! so given my blunt nature, i commented on the lack of workouts and it hurt her feelings. for that i apologize. it was not my intent nor my desire to do such a thing. but the whole exchange got me to thinking, why? why am i still doing this with the same level of enthusiasm as when i started 2 years ago? what is it that makes me keep at it and keep a decent attitude even when i dont feel like it? how does one maintain even when they dont want to?

the honest answer, pride! it sounds horrible given as much as i have written on how bad pride is :eek: but it is the truth. i am not willing to stop or to fail or to give up or to accept less then the best from myself because i am a prideful person! that is why i take and post new pics almost every day. i want to force myself to constantly do better and look better than the day before! it is what has driven me the past 2 years. 2 years of ups and downs, gains and plateaus, leanness and fatness. i would not allow myself to let all of you down! my pride would not allow me to stop giving my all even though atleast half the time i didnt want to be in the gym and 99% of the time my joints hurt and im tired or exhausted and it isnt fun being in the gym.

my whole life i have been driven to succeed in whatever it is i set out to do, as long as somebody else knew about it, i wanted to make sure that i acheived it. getting into vet school after only 3 years of undergrad. i said i wanted to do that and it wasnt easy but i worked hard and brought my grades up and i took 24 credits a semester and i did it. making it through vet school while working 30-40 hours a week. wasnt easy, my grades sucked most of the time but i wouldnt, coudnt, fail! starting a mobile large animal practice, starting from nothing. i worked hard and i worked long hours and i built a great practice. building the clinic by myself while going through a divorce and still working the mobile practice and raising the monchers on my own. and finally putting the time and effort into getting the body that i have always wanted. i would not fail! pride! determination to succeed!

in the gym, i have goals. they change constantly. there are a few that are consistant, like i want to pull 350# on deads and i want to bench 185# if not 200#. but the rest change depending on how im feeling and what is happening around me. what drives me today is the same thing that drove me when i first started, all of you and my pride in trying to not let any of you down. :) in the grand scheme of things does it really matter? when i leave here will anyone care? probably not but until then i never want anyone to think, damn, she has been at this for 2 years and there is nothing different! my pride wont allow that to happen! i will not take the easy road, i will not fail!

Why do you do it?

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
why do i do what i do?
i think Vin Deisel summed it up best for me:

Last edited by a moderator:
HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
what? i'm not allowed to post in here because its the female misc. section?
they told me i wasnt allowed in the girls locker room too but that never stopped me!
LMAO

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
what? i'm not allowed to post in here because its the female misc. section?
they told me i wasnt allowed in the girls locker room too but that never stopped me!
LMAO

who said you werent allowed to post in here lurk? heck, all is open and fair here. post away! :D

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
damn.
well now i dont want to anymore.
i thought i was being bad.
now its not fun anymore [-(

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
I do it because I am driven to be the best me I can be. I have this burning desire to do things people say I can't LOL...like get an advanced degree when nobody else in my family ever went to college....Now, I am in a position that is difficult, and I do it as both a form of entertainment and as a way to de-stress. I have to admit that being broke helps you lose weight LOL...my fat busting efforts have went into overdrive with financial distress...best way to keep your food in check :) And not just stress relief, but it is something I actually have control over, which makes me feel like I am still accomplishing something...having control of something is crucial to my sanity...and with everything else spiraling out of control around me, I can still make those weights my bitches! I was really down today, but managed to do overhead shoulder press with 25lb dbs and it cheered me up tremendously. Just knowing I can achieve something is amazing...

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Someone on another forum started a thread asking how to stay motivated. My response was as follows:

If you love the iron it will love you back. If you don't love the iron then you are without hope regarding this matter.

Simply put, I love the iron. The pain that it brings is pure joy. The question becomes how do I keep myself from going too much. Cardio? Well that's another matter entirely.

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
I keep going because I fear boredom as boredom is like a bottomless pit where time gets slower and slower. Training helps keep boredom at bay and I'm at my happiest at that time!

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I like to be challenged if not whats the point of anything.If it is easy it isnt worth it.I also am a control freak and think along the same lines as shan.When life is spiraling you can control how you look,how much you lift,how much you improve and weights dont talk back !
I have a hard time with motivation sometimes but it doesnt last long .

P

Pambo2

Dec 5, 2013
Wow! Why do I lift? I was asked that question by a woman who's hubby had issues, he couldn't keep his posture to put it mildly. You could say she was jealous, OF WHAT? I asked. She had to be courageous to confront me so I had the couarage to ask her why? Why did she think her hubby would stray so far from what was good for him? I asked her if she even cares what her man's interests really are? Why do I lift? I think she needs to ask her hubby that question more than ask me. I told her, I'm not a home wrecker, look I don't troll for men at the gym, they know how to find what it is that attracts them. The truth is I lift because how it makes me feel the confidence it brings me, knowing what I know few men even dare to go. I have no bone to pick, but like any woman I adore the attention. Yes it's radical but I have always believed within reason, bigger, faster, stronger is my moto. I'm not about to self destruct from myself and just allow myself to get fat and flabby. fat and flabby is where my ole school chums hang out at, with their out of shape hubbies and wannabes. I workout hard and heavy and make no appologies to your husbands, and you would do yourself a favor if you got yo lazy A**es in the gym, he'll love more for it. I'm single not necessarily looking but you never know. Do I compete, Hell No, Why? No money in it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic