Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Why do I only feel my pec minor in chest workouts?

D

Dan_00ryan

Feb 11, 2020
No matter what I do, any chest exercise I feel only my pec minor and that’s what’s sore the next day. In case it’s not the pec minor, it’s where my chest inserts into my shoulder. If I lift up my arm it’s almost as if it’s the front wall of my armpit. I’d upload a photo except the website keeps sending an error message. Thanks

Dangling Unit

Dangling Unit

MuscleHead
Jan 2, 2011
Weakest link?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
I'd pay to have that area of my pecs stimulated.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Try bringing your hands in closer and elbows at 45degrees. Also try doing dips and/or flyes before Chest Press to preexhaust pecs.

I only feel pec minor with wide inclines or incline flyes so it might mean you need to try a more “power lifter” type bench press.

ValeTudo8080

ValeTudo8080

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2011
it took me years to figure out the chest.... Free Motion makes a cable crossover that is adjustable and you can really dial in the angles and i have found that is the best way.

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
On a bench, slight incline, palm a 25lb plate between your hands with your fingers pointing up. Squeeze the plate and perform as many reps as you can. Do this once before every workout.

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
Your pec minor originates from the 3-5 ribs and inserts on the coracoid. The action of the pec minor is stabilization of the scapula.

With that said, if you're only feeling it in the pec minor stretch the muscle and stabilize your scapula's prior to pressing. To stabilize your scapula's during the bench you need to be on a proper bench with a wide back. Then when you're setting up, pinch your scapula's together, giving you a stable benching platform. This will prevent your scaps from protracting and retracting during the movement.

D

Dan_00ryan

Feb 11, 2020
Your pec minor originates from the 3-5 ribs and inserts on the coracoid. The action of the pec minor is stabilization of the scapula.

With that said, if you're only feeling it in the pec minor stretch the muscle and stabilize your scapula's prior to pressing. To stabilize your scapula's during the bench you need to be on a proper bench with a wide back. Then when you're setting up, pinch your scapula's together, giving you a stable benching platform. This will prevent your scaps from protracting and retracting during the movement.

Thank you!
If this is the case, should I try to improve my scapula retraction? I do consciously try to keep them back but you make a pretty good case for me not successfully doing so.

If it is a scap retraction issue, should I lighten the weight while those get stronger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
Thank you!
If this is the case, should I try to improve my scapula retraction? I do consciously try to keep them back but you make a pretty good case for me not successfully doing so.

If it is a scap retraction issue, should I lighten the weight while those get stronger?

Look up pec minor stretches, and do 2-3 10 second holds before benching.

Retracting your scapula's prior to benching is something you need to practice. Prior to picking up the weight, pinch them together, and arch your back. You should immediately feel a flat stable solid surface. If you train alone, keeping your scaps back and solid is harder. Typically when you unrack the weight, alone, is when it all goes to shit, but if you focus on it, you can re-retract them after the lift off.

This isn't a scapula retraction strength issue, it's technique. If you think it is a strength issue, you need up strengthen your upper back muscles: lats, traps, rhomboids, etc. You could try a warm up set for the upper back to see if it queues the muscles.

I remember watching a Super Training video about this very topic. Try looking for it on youtube.

D

Dan_00ryan

Feb 11, 2020
Try bringing your hands in closer and elbows at 45degrees. Also try doing dips and/or flyes before Chest Press to preexhaust pecs.

I only feel pec minor with wide inclines or incline flyes so it might mean you need to try a more “power lifter” type bench press.

Here’s the photo:
e39f0b2d279f70c9de7706f70e94698d.jpg

Flies and dips stimulate it there too

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
When I bench press on a flat bench, while pinching my shoulder blades together, I grab the bar at shoulder width, with my head beyond the bar, then I lift it off and center it over my chest. Then I lower the bar so the bar moves at an angle toward the bottom of my rib cage with the bar resting on my nipples at the bottom of the press. Then I press upward and the bar moves at an angle toward my head, ending up above my upper chest when my arms are fully extended. For heavier lifting, I tuck my elbows in tight to my chest at the bottom.

This gives me a nice chest workout and I feel it right in the center of my chest (pectoral) muscles.

Dips give me a tight feeling across the bottom of my chest muscles.

Incline presses (these day only with dumbbells) give me a good shoulder and upper chest workout.

If you are having trouble retracting your scapula try retracting them with medium to light weights on cable rows, especially seated cable rows with a narrow handle, and lat pulldowns, facepulls, etc.: i.e. most exercises involving pressing or rowing you should retract your scapula. It will get easier over time with practice and as your muscles strengthen. And as it gets easier, you will be able to increase the weights.

ogre

ogre

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2016
On a bench, slight incline, palm a 25lb plate between your hands with your fingers pointing up. Squeeze the plate and perform as many reps as you can. Do this once before every workout.
I did this and it made a lot of difference.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic