Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Why and How do you choose your Powerlifting federation?

guss

guss

MuscleHead
Aug 11, 2010
I was in a spirited discussion on what Powerlifting federation people choose to lift at and the changing landscape of Powerlifting today. One thing we could not come to a clear conclusion is why..
We came up with a number of educated guesses and theories to this question.. Why do you choose the fed you lift at?

What is your reasons?

Sure one could say there are a host of reasons that change over time. But I think everyone has one major reason that floats to the top each time.

Is it location/venue.. is it the powerlifting federation of choice's mission... is it drug testing (or not)... is it the venue.. is it the competition?

Again.. what are your reasons?.. I don't care what Powerlifting federation you mostly lift at now. The landscape of Powerlifting is very different today then it was even 3 years ago.

Share your major reasons... Help settle a discussion.

PozzSka

PozzSka

Sep 15, 2010
With 2 kids and a wife...I just choose whichever event is close to my home. So I typically don't want to drive more than a couple hours. So far I just wait for stuff that's pretty local. When I'm putting up big numbers, then I'll go out of my way.

Growinboy

Growinboy

MuscleHead
Sep 25, 2010
I used to just choose what was close... After a few meets you learn who puts on well run meets and takes care of the competitors...

PozzSka

PozzSka

Sep 15, 2010
I used to just choose what was close... After a few meets you learn who puts on well run meets and takes care of the competitors...

Anything good in the Ohio area (PA, IN, KY, VA, etc.) next Spring?

Growinboy

Growinboy

MuscleHead
Sep 25, 2010
powerliftingwatch.com is a huge resource for me, you can search for meets by state... Im in the Chicago area- always something coming up around here...

O

OldPLer

Nov 29, 2010
generally whatever is close but there are a lot of meets within 2 hours of home so it is then generally timing, what is happening when i am ready to compete.

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
I dont care if Im going to lift I will go where ever Im allowed in

M

Mad_dawg

Dec 9, 2010
I go with what is close for the most part since I don't have extra money to travel very far. I usually go USPF or AAU whatever the guy is running at the time.
There are two others around and one actually has meets in my city, but I don't lift in that fed. The other, well maybe once every couple years just for fun.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
powerliftingwatch.com is a huge resource for me, you can search for meets by state... Im in the Chicago area- always something coming up around here...

exactly this..... especially the chicago part. This area is a gold mine for multi-ply lifting......

silverback

silverback

Jan 2, 2011
i picked based on location, then whether or not the meet allowed unequipped/raw, then price

F

Flathead

Jul 20, 2011
Was pretty simple for me, when I was asked the join the team I just went with the federation everyone was already in (SPF).

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I like the UPA. Pretty solid in the midwest and I know the President of the UPA and he puts on very lifter friendly meets. I think the federation based meets will eventually start to take a back seet to super meets such as the Lexen. Gene Rychalk has been trying to put this concept together for awhile now. Basically, you can be a card carrying member of whatever fed you want and compete in the super meet based on a qualifying total.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic