Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Whole Foods admits its organic foods contain genetically modified ingredients

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
OMG!! Antibiotics run off!!! We're all gonna die........

People dying by the millions, growing ears of corn out of their noses...carrots out their arse's...

LOLOL Before ya'all get up in arms I'm just in here givin all you treehuggers shit!! Just clownin around..don't ban me bro!!

I wouldn't ban you for being a wise ass.

But I will just say that I hope you never have an infection that our antibiotics are now powerless against :p

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
You really didn't read my post did you?

Peanuts are completely safe for human consumption, right? But if you put peanut genes into potatoes, someone who is allergic to peanuts could have an allergic reaction to potatoes, right? Please admit it is at least possible?

So voila, that is the argument for GMO labeling. They may be safe, but people should be informed so they know if they are eating GMO foods or not. Those who have food allergies or ethical reasons for not eating them can avoid them.

What do the companies like Monsanto fear from labeling? Not as much as those with food allergies do, for sure.

By the way I have a degree in plant biology and studied not only bio engineering as an undergrad, but bio ethics. So I know more than a little about the subject.

Wood please come clean and admit you took plant biology so you could move to the woods and start your own "grow"

BrutusMaximus

BrutusMaximus

Jul 8, 2013
Okay man, well it's obvious this discussion is gonna go nowhere because we're both very convinced of our positions. It'll be the same tired old tropes back and forth until our fingers fall off.

Agree to disagree?

BrutusMaximus

BrutusMaximus

Jul 8, 2013
Woodswise: I get what you're saying, and yeah it's possible. I was mostly refuting the assertion that there hasn't been any research on GMO safety.

Monsanto and the companies that produce food with GMO ingredients risk losing a lot of profits from labeling because of scare tactics and misconceptions spread by anti-GMO activists. Who's going to want to buy frankenfoods? This may not seem like a big deal to us but for entities that are designed to turn a profit, it can be very dangerous. So, they lobby against labeling. I'm not defending them, just explaining what is probably a very simplified version of their reasoning.

BrutusMaximus

BrutusMaximus

Jul 8, 2013
Okay man, well it's obvious this discussion is gonna go nowhere because we're both very convinced of our positions. It'll be the same tired old tropes back and forth until our fingers fall off.

Agree to disagree?

Whoops, that was for graniteman :p

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
I wouldn't ban you for being a wise ass.

But I will just say that I hope you never have an infection that our antibiotics are now powerless against :p

Lol, You remember awhile back my plea for antibiotics?? I agree about the antibiotics in the beef, now the steroids they put in I don't mind so much. Far as the GMO seeds, doesn't really bother me, People have to understand that with the planet population growing at the rate it is we will and many already need to be able to grow crops in adverse conditions like drought \pest ridden area's. That's what's behind the science of this strain.
It's progress, science

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
The most ironic thing about all of this is, the people bitching the most about GMOs, and all the other issues they have, COULD be growing their own gardens, have their own chickens etc, and have everything they want from their foods. The problem is, they want to force someone else to do it all because most of them are just too lazy to get off their butts and do it.

slicwilly2000

slicwilly2000

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
Regardless of what anyone says, I won't stop buying organic or grass fed. Whichever grade is better. I don't trust GMOs. I think for a lot of people it is the cost. I'd say it costs me 50% more to eat organic but I don't care.

Slic.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Woodswise: I get what you're saying, and yeah it's possible. I was mostly refuting the assertion that there hasn't been any research on GMO safety.

Monsanto and the companies that produce food with GMO ingredients risk losing a lot of profits from labeling because of scare tactics and misconceptions spread by anti-GMO activists. Who's going to want to buy frankenfoods? This may not seem like a big deal to us but for entities that are designed to turn a profit, it can be very dangerous. So, they lobby against labeling. I'm not defending them, just explaining what is probably a very simplified version of their reasoning.

Thank you for your rational and well thought out response. I think you and I are in agreement now.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Wood please come clean and admit you took plant biology so you could move to the woods and start your own "grow"

Well, you are close. At one point I was very interested in Ethnobotany and pharmacopea. I guess I still am sort of . . .

E

Eatcleanathlete

MuscleHead
Mar 4, 2014
The most ironic thing about all of this is, the people bitching the most about GMOs, and all the other issues they have, COULD be growing their own gardens, have their own chickens etc, and have everything they want from their foods. The problem is, they want to force someone else to do it all because most of them are just too lazy to get off their butts and do it.

Lol so true. My wife and I have a garden. This year it isn't very big because the drought we didn't want to chance losing a bunch of seeds so we saved them for next year. My wife has chickens and her family raises grass fed cattle. I love it and hate going to buy meat from the store.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Lol so true. My wife and I have a garden. This year it isn't very big because the drought we didn't want to chance losing a bunch of seeds so we saved them for next year. My wife has chickens and her family raises grass fed cattle. I love it and hate going to buy meat from the store.

I had chickens for a few years. Then those little punks started bustin up their eggs and it go so out of hand, they went "free range". lol Eventually the wildlife killed them all. We do enjoy having a small garden though, but also learned that, around here, you can't grow anything that lays on the ground, or the rats etc eat them up. You have to find unique ways to grow them if you want to grow things like watermelon, cantaloup, etc

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic