Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Whole Eggs and Meat protien are my staple

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
Could someone be more clear as to what they mean when they say fats are needed for digestion? Fats themselves need to be digested to be used just as all macros do, I would say as I have that fats are needed in many metabolic functions, they are used to synthesize hormones, they are part of the cell membrane, they are essential for storage and absorption of some vitamins etc...but I need some clarity on what you mean when you state that fat is needed for digestion.

FIST your body never uses one energy source exclusively even if glycogen stores are full during activity it won't just use those stores, it will mainly use them but will also other sources at the same time like protein from muscle breakdown. People rarely realize that the body never uses one energy substrate exclusively the key is that the availability of each and the energy resulting from each will impact the amount of each used, with none being 100%. I'm not sure that the body would turn to a high rate of muscle catabolism if you provided enough carbs but too little fat will impact hormone production and produce vitamin deficiencies which will then cause serious health problems. You would also have bile production issues but I'm missing the digestion link.

We could go to further extremes if you don't have a decent level of EFA intake but they are extremes which are beyond the scope of this thread.

Reactions: SAD
F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
Could someone be more clear as to what they mean when they say fats are needed for digestion? Fats themselves need to be digested to be used just as all macros do, I would say as I have that fats are needed in many metabolic functions, they are used to synthesize hormones, they are part of the cell membrane, they are essential for storage and absorption of some vitamins etc...but I need some clarity on what you mean when you state that fat is needed for digestion.

FIST your body never uses one energy source exclusively even if glycogen stores are full during activity it won't just use those stores, it will mainly use them but will also other sources at the same time like protein from muscle breakdown. People rarely realize that the body never uses one energy substrate exclusively the key is that the availability of each and the energy resulting from each will impact the amount of each used, with none being 100%. I'm not sure that the body would turn to a high rate of muscle catabolism if you provided enough carbs but too little fat will impact hormone production and produce vitamin deficiencies which will then cause serious health problems. You would also have bile production issues but I'm missing the digestion link.

We could go to further extremes if you don't have a decent level of EFA intake but they are extremes which are beyond the scope of this thread.

You're right you're body will get its energy source from different nutrients form the body but my point is too many people think by limiting their fat intake or carb intake to a point thats well below what is needed,then you will be primarily burning protein ,i.e. muscle as your energy source.Thats why taking in the proper amounts of each ,fats/carbs/protein is so critical.Unfortunately too many do not understand this and just think by cutting their fat or carbohydrate % to nothing they will lose weight/fat.

As for why fat is needed,all macros in the proper amount are needed for proper digestion.I guess I should have been more clear as to my wording.I just meant that you have to eat a complete and balanced diet for optimal performance of each.Not to mention the numerous benefits of eating healthy fats.

Last edited:
F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
Here's a post I found on the health benefits of fats as many already know but just as a refresher since we're on this particular topic....

If you ask folks what food group they should avoid, most will probably answer "fats." While it's true that, in large amounts, some types of fat are bad for your health (not to mention your waistline), there are some we simply can't live without.

"It not only plays a vital role in the health of the membrane of every cell in our body, it also helps protect us from a number of key health threats," says Laurie Tansman, MS, RD, CDN, a nutritionist at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York.
The benefits of omega-3s include reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke while helping to reduce symptoms of hypertension, depression, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), joint pain and other rheumatoid problems, as well as certain skin ailments. Some research has even shown that omega-3s can boost the immune system and help protect us from an array of illnesses including Alzheimer's disease.
Just how do omega-3s perform so many health "miracles" in people? One way, experts say, is by encouraging the production of body chemicals that help control inflammation -- in the joints, the bloodstream, and the tissues.
But even as important is their ability to reduce the negative impact of yet another essential type of fatty acid known as omega-6s. Found in foods such as eggs, poultry, cereals, vegetable oils, baked goods, and margarine, omega-6s are also considered essential. They support skin health, lower cholesterol, and help make our blood "sticky" so it is able to clot. But when omega-6s aren't balanced with sufficient amounts of omega-3s, problems can ensue.
"When blood is too 'sticky,' it promotes clot formation, and this can increase the risk of heart attack and stroke," says nutritionist Lona Sandon, RD, a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association. But once you add omega-3s to the mix, the risk of heart problems goes down, she tells WebMD.
The latest research shows that the most promising health effects of essential fatty acids are achieved through a proper balance between omega-3s and omega-6s. The ratio to shoot for, experts say, is roughly 4 parts omega-3s to 1 part omega-6s.
Most of us, they say, come up dangerously short.
"The typical American diet has a ratio of around 20 to 1 -- 20 omega-6's to 1 omega-3 -- and that spells trouble," says Sandon, an assistant professor of nutrition at University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. While reducing your intake of omega-6s can help, getting more omega-3s from food is an even better way to go.

Omega-3 fatty acids are not one single nutrient, but a collection of several, including eicosapentaenic acid (EPA) and docosahexanoic acid (DHA). Both are found in greatest abundance in coldwater fish -- and that, say experts, is one reason so many of us are deficient.

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
Please provide proof that egg whites are not a complete protein, because I just did some googling and I can't find that info. In fact.... Egg White Protein Nutrition Information | LIVESTRONG.COM

Heres just a few things on whole eggs S&D....

They are a good source of choline. One egg yolk has about 300 micrograms of choline. Choline is an important nutrient that helps regulate the brain, nervous system, and cardiovascular system.
They contain the right kind of fat. One egg contains just 5 grams of fat and only 1.5 grams of that is saturated fat.

New research shows that, contrary to previous belief, moderate consumption of eggs does not have a negative impact on cholesterol. In fact, recent studies have shown that regular consumption of two eggs per day does not affect a person's lipid profile and may, in fact, improve it. Research suggests that it is saturated fat that raises cholesterol rather than dietary cholesterol.

Eggs are one of the only foods that contain naturally occurring vitamin D.

Eggs promote healthy hair and nails because of their high sulphur content and wide array of vitamins and minerals. Many people find their hair growing faster after adding eggs to their diet, especially if they were previously deficient in foods containing sulphur or B12.

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
From seeing many charts like the one below, I can tell you that most have figures near the ones shown. The common thread is that whole eggs are more bioavailable than egg whites by as much as 15%. I am a strong believer in fats to aid digestion, especially at certain parts of the day.

bioavailability-understanding-protein-absorption-chart.jpg

Then there's this chart showing the benefit of eating whole eggs as opposed to egg whites.

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
Guys I think the important part of this thread is that its best to get your nutrition sources from a variety of foods and sources.The key is to have a balanced combination to achieve maximal results and health.Everyone has their beliefs and nutritional needs and theres no right or wrong answer for any given person.I think that by never excluding any particular thing in your diet is best.Limiting,yes,but eliminating completely,no.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
Guys I think the important part of this thread is that its best to get your nutrition sources from a variety of foods and sources.The key is to have a balanced combination to achieve maximal results and health.Everyone has their beliefs and nutritional needs and theres no right or wrong answer for any given person.I think that by never excluding any particular thing in your diet is best.Limiting,yes,but eliminating completely,no.

I agree though I think some exclusions are a good idea, the man made options like commercial potato chips and such really provide no benefit.

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
I agree though I think some exclusions are a good idea, the man made options like commercial potato chips and such really provide no benefit.

LMFAO.Yea,I cant argue with you there.I'll also be skipping the potato chips.Too extreme there.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Sheesh im readin my last post. It came out all wrong. Sorry som. I was stressin the insignificance of the disparity of yolk and white assimilation being no need to mention cuz its so small. I hope i didnt seem condescending to you bro. Sorry one cant see kinesics and tone so really no offense intended

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Heres just a few things on whole eggs S&D....

They are a good source of choline. One egg yolk has about 300 micrograms of choline. Choline is an important nutrient that helps regulate the brain, nervous system, and cardiovascular system.
They contain the right kind of fat. One egg contains just 5 grams of fat and only 1.5 grams of that is saturated fat.

New research shows that, contrary to previous belief, moderate consumption of eggs does not have a negative impact on cholesterol. In fact, recent studies have shown that regular consumption of two eggs per day does not affect a person's lipid profile and may, in fact, improve it. Research suggests that it is saturated fat that raises cholesterol rather than dietary cholesterol.

Eggs are one of the only foods that contain naturally occurring vitamin D.

Eggs promote healthy hair and nails because of their high sulphur content and wide array of vitamins and minerals. Many people find their hair growing faster after adding eggs to their diet, especially if they were previously deficient in foods containing sulphur or B12.

While I appreciate the info, it's nothing new and nothing I didn't already know. Y'all ain't reading my posts, lol. My very first post states that I LOVE whole eggs and eat them everyday. I'm well aware of the benefits of whole eggs and that's why I eat them, I'm just saying that egg whites aren't incomplete or not worth eating.

Read back over the whole thread and you'll see that I'm agreeing with everything EXCEPT that egg whites are incomplete proteins. They may not be as complete a MEAL as whole eggs, but they are still a complete PROTEIN. They contain all 9 EAAs.

No hard feelings guys, just think you were getting the wrong idea about what I was debating.

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
While I appreciate the info, it's nothing new and nothing I didn't already know. Y'all ain't reading my posts, lol. My very first post states that I LOVE whole eggs and eat them everyday. I'm well aware of the benefits of whole eggs and that's why I eat them, I'm just saying that egg whites aren't incomplete or not worth eating.

Read back over the whole thread and you'll see that I'm agreeing with everything EXCEPT that egg whites are incomplete proteins. They may not be as complete a MEAL as whole eggs, but they are still a complete PROTEIN. They contain all 9 EAAs.

No hard feelings guys, just think you were getting the wrong idea about what I was debating.

Hey man,no need for an apology.All input is good input.Thats why the board are here,to here opinions and ideas from everyone.Glad to here from you.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Sheesh im readin my last post. It came out all wrong. Sorry som. I was stressin the insignificance of the disparity of yolk and white assimilation being no need to mention cuz its so small. I hope i didnt seem condescending to you bro. Sorry one cant see kinesics and tone so really no offense intended

No offense taken, just don't completely agree, lol. And that's ok, if we all agreed on everything, life would be boring. And nice use of "kinesics" bro, hahaha, well done. Not sure if you used a thesaurus for that one, ;) , but still, bravo.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic