Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Who eats canned tuna?

captaincaveman

captaincaveman

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 17, 2010
I love canned tuna....solid white albacore....especially when I get bits of dolphin in it. Feel smarter almost immediately after eating it.

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
i still eat tuna out a can but alot of times i will mix it with those instant lunchs...my favorite is the cajun shrimp favor...Plus i love the smoked osyers in a can..If anyone wants to try something speical and its loaded down with protein ,fats and carbs...This is good for those looking to pack on weight...
Its called the UNDERGOUND SPEICAL......So welcome to deadweights Kitchen.
1 CAN TUNA
1 CAN OF SMOKED OYSTERS
1 INSTANT LUNCH...( brand name MARUCHAN)FAVOR SHRIMP note..drain water from noddles
1 CAN OF FISH STEAKS IN HOT SAUCE
1 CHOPPED UP JALAPENO
1 HALF BELL PEPPER(chopped up)
1 BOIL EGG
1 BAG OF BBQ CORN CHIPS....CRUSH THE BAG UP..u want corn chips to be crushed up
2 TABEL SPOON OF SANDWICH SPREAD
2 TABEL SPOONS OF MAYO

MIX ALL TOGETHER IN A BIG BOWL

GET YOUR BREAD AND MAKE A THICK SANDWICH

Are u grossed out yet/

Trust me this shit is fucken good stuff...Plus u can use it for a spread to put on crackers too.

This is a small production of deadweights kitchen.....ENJOY!

Last edited:
Billthebutcher

Billthebutcher

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2011
I like the new zip bag ones that are not in a can, no mess and ready NOW

marx

marx

MuscleHead
Sep 29, 2010
i still eat tuna out a can but alot of times i will mix it with those instant lunchs...my favorite is the cajun shrimp favor...Plus i love the smoked osyers in a can..If anyone wants to try something speical and its loaded down with protein ,fats and carbs...This is good for those looking to pack on weight...
1 CAN TUNA
1 CAN OF SMOKED OYSTERS
1 INSTANT LUNCH...( brand name MARUCHAN)FAVOR SHRIMP note..drain water from noddles
1 CHOPPED UP JALAPENO
1 BOIL EGG
2 TABEL SPOONS OF MAYO

Are u grossed out yet/

Trust me this shit is fucken good stuff...Plus u can use it for a spread to put on crackers too.

The Rachel Ray of the weight room kitchen!

I like all the ingredients separately DW. Points for ingenuity and creativity, brother!

marx

marx

MuscleHead
Sep 29, 2010
The cheap restaurant supply tuna is called Tongal Tuna. I googled it to see if it really was tuna or if it is some other species.

I found this:

fszSM.jpg

I also found that the Tongal has less mercury than the more popular Tuna's.

Canned Tuna

A draft advisory from the Food and Drug Administration and the Environmental Protection Agency containing new proposed guidelines on fish consumption was circulated at a meeting of the FDA's Food Advisory Committee December 10, 2003, in Washington, D.C. Recent FDA testing has indicated that canned albacore, known as white tuna, contains almost three times as much mercury as canned "light" tuna. The proposed advisory stated that although mercury levels in tuna vary, tuna steaks and canned albacore generally contain higher levels of mercury than canned light tuna. In the spring of 2004, the FDA issued recommendations that pregnant and nursing women, women of childbearing age and children limit their consumption of canned albacore tuna and tuna steaks to no more than 6 ounces per week and light tuna to no more than 12 ounces per week.

While albacore is a biological type of tuna, "light" tuna may be biologically classified as skipjack, bluefin, yellowfin, and tongol. All types except tongol may be labeled "chunk light" or "solid light", while only tongol may be labeled "chunk light". Our recommendation: when you choose to eat tuna, either purchase canned light tuna or if buying canned albacore, purchase water-packed premium Pacific Albacore from a reputable supplier who has had the mercury levels tested by an independent lab.

Choose water-packed tuna rather than oil-packed. The added oil used in canning mixes with some of the tuna's natural fat. When you drain oil-packed tuna, some of its omega 3 fatty acids also go down the drain. Since oil and water don't mix, water-packed tuna won't leach any of its precious omega-3s.

Specialty brands of Premium or "Gourmet" canned Pacific tuna provide the most omega-3 oils of all types of canned tuna. This is because these smaller, often family-owned tuna fisheries catch their tuna in the cold waters of the Pacific by hook and line trolling. As soon as a fish is hooked, it is brought aboard and fresh-frozen. Large commercial fisheries typically catch their tuna in the warmer waters of the Atlantic using "long lines" that lay deep in the water and are harvested only every 24 hours.

Specialty brand tuna is also processed differently. The larger commercial canneries, such as Starkist ™, cook their fish twice. First, they bake the fish whole on a rack, which causes a loss of natural beneficial oils, but makes the fish easier to de-bone. After the bones are removed, the fish is put into the can-along with flavorings like vegetable broth, and additives such as pyrophosphate or hydrolyzed casein-and cooked again. Specialty tuna products are typically packed into the can raw and cooked only once, so all their natural juices and fats remain in the finished product.

Canned in water and drained, 6 ounces of light meat tuna typically provides a little less than .5 gram of omega-3 fatty acids, while light tuna canned in oil and drained provides a little more than .3 grams of omega-3.

In comparison, tested specialty brands of albacore have been found to contain up to 2.97 grams of omega 3 fats in a 100 gram (3.5 ounce) serving. For this reason, we suggest looking for suppliers of specialty canned albacore tuna that have their product regularly evaluated by an independent lab for mercury content. Canned albacore products can also be recommended if the level of mercury they contain is no more than 0.5ppm (parts per million, which is the same as 500ppb, parts per billion).

The canning process does not affect the mercury content of canned tuna; it is the type of fish that is canned that determines the level of mercury. Again, because of the data made public in the most recent FDA/EPA proposed advisory, we recommend choosing canned "light" tuna.

Interesting processing differences. Never knew trhis stuff...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
1 CAN TUNA
1 CAN OF SMOKED OYSTERS
1 CHOPPED UP JALAPENO
1 BOIL EGG
2 TABEL SPOONS OF MAYO

Are u grossed out yet/

Yeah I eat canned tuna every week. I'll have to try this with some things left out of course. lol

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I eat tons of it and canned chicken as well, not really cheap per pound but easy/convenient as hell.

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I eat it a lot of tuna now. I buy the StarKist 4 pack foil pouches in water. Just under 4 bucks at Wal Mart. 2.6oz packs 18g protein per pouch. Great for snacking. I eat 2 or 3 at a time.

The trick for me is to keep em cold. Really cuts back on the flavor. I have a hard time getting past the first one when they are at room temp but I like them refrigerated.

HDH

Jasthace

Jasthace

MuscleHead
May 29, 2011
I always soak it in water first then smash it up with a spatular , then squash it dry in a sift, to get rid of the salt and the fishy smell. Then I add it to rolled oats with chocolate protein powder and take two tubs of that to work {I call it rolled oats with chocolate fish}. I also make 4 - 6 dark rye bread sandwiches with it. thats my base work diet , with the odd threat thrown in when I need it.

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
i get the 3 serving cans and usually eat it straight up. as stated, its not about taste, its about fueling my muscle.

DW, i have always mixed tuna with Ramen noodles (picked up that habit in prison), but you took that shit to the extreme so now i GOTTA try it. sounds good as hell!

A-BOMB

A-BOMB

Dec 22, 2011
Canned tuna used to be a main part of my diet. I ate SO much that the smell of it would make me gag. I used to get really creative when masking the flavor.... For those that get tired of eating it but try it this way:

1 can of tuna mixed with bbq sauce.... Actually very good
1 can of tuna mixed with a cup of Apple sauce. Very tasty...
1 can of tuna in blender mixed with 10 oz Orange juice.... My favorite...

The trick is to eat it as fast as humanly possible!!!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic