Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

Which 5x5 program do you think best for a competition newbie?

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
I feel a 5x5 system is more for strenght training rather then for power...I feel a 5 x3 is the ticket for building power.And for a good reason it allows u to train heaver then u would doing five reps ...U can train a more closer percenage to your max lifts...Here is my scale of of reps that repersent power and strenght

Power -1 to 3 reps
strenght -5 to 8 reps

Anything above 8 reps heads towards fast twich which has nothing to do with power of strengh.Thats just my view ......dw

I do a lot of triples and it builds strength trust me.

Singles are to test strength and 3's to 5's are to build strength.

When I 1st got into Powerlifting all I did was singles and my friend Mark Bell had a talk with me and taught me this and ever since I started gaining strength.

He said all your doing is testing your strength you need to build it and this is how.

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
Since I don't really have plans to do powerlifting as a full time lifestyle like my old man, maybe just goign for strength gains is the best option. I have too much desire to drop bf to really really go for the power side, but also have this drive to try it once just for the hell of it to see how I rate. I do know the HST program has been good to me for just the growth factor, I just want more strength to go with it (not that I haven't gotten stronger doing HST, but I want more LOL).

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
Care to elaborate on the cant do it alone theory?Not being a smart ass I am interested to hear your theory on this.I expect mine isnt truly a 5/3/1 as i do not follow anything but the main lifts percentage wise.

Once the weight gets heavy bro you need help spotters with singles like on a bench that shit needs to be handed off.

We have 3 people handing off on bench for guys with heavy benches including me.

So what I meant is spotters!

anyone can pull singles you can even squat if you don't mind taking the chance of bending a bar dumping it but at some point nobody should unrack weight on a bench only that shit will fuck shoulders up bro.

It's about safety not a person not doing it correct I may have worded things wrong but this is why Powerlifters are a team and not individuals.

I drive across the city just to spot a friend!

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
Since I don't really have plans to do powerlifting as a full time lifestyle like my old man, maybe just goign for strength gains is the best option. I have too much desire to drop bf to really really go for the power side, but also have this drive to try it once just for the hell of it to see how I rate. I do know the HST program has been good to me for just the growth factor, I just want more strength to go with it (not that I haven't gotten stronger doing HST, but I want more LOL).

Your better off on a 5x5 intermediate you may want to try my version I have it posted on this board call My Altered 5x5 Madcow

Last edited:
Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
LOl Sf.I am a sis not a bro.But I do understand what you are saying.I train with a group also.I dont follow the bench but replace it with overhead so the only lift I really need assistance with is my squat.Right now I am box squatting rather than normal squat.i just set the safety bars and have found the perfect spot so if I have to dump it I am ok.
It does make it much easier with spotters so yes i agree with you.
Thank you for elaborating :)

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
LOl Sf.I am a sis not a bro.But I do understand what you are saying.I train with a group also.I dont follow the bench but replace it with overhead so the only lift I really need assistance with is my squat.Right now I am box squatting rather than normal squat.i just set the safety bars and have found the perfect spot so if I have to dump it I am ok.
It does make it much easier with spotters so yes i agree with you.
Thank you for elaborating :)

Opp's sorry about the bro thing LOL.

Love having good women training with us we have 2 that hold a lot of records and one is a Pro.

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
I have no spotters, don't know anybody here (except Bob and we just moved here in Jan), so I have to take a more moderate approach to it...especially on bench..cause my bench sucks LOL. I have a history of bursitis in my shoulder, so I am not gonna set any bench records...Im concerned enough about the stupid varicose vein in my lower leg, hope it doesn't cause me too many problems on squats and deads.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
I have no spotters, don't know anybody here (except Bob and we just moved here in Jan), so I have to take a more moderate approach to it...especially on bench..cause my bench sucks LOL. I have a history of bursitis in my shoulder, so I am not gonna set any bench records...Im concerned enough about the stupid varicose vein in my lower leg, hope it doesn't cause me too many problems on squats and deads.

Try my version you bench only once a week!

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
Lol DW we have a saying at the garage........."anything over 6 reps is cardio ;).ATW I agree with the less is more approach.Amma and I have both been consistantly training and competing since 2004 (she may have been training a bit longer for power) .We are ,for lack of better words,old dogs in the sport.We are also in the top portion of our class.We have both seen the "lifespan" of some of the newer competitors burn out fast.I would rather be able to do this awhile than burn out and wreck myself.Though I have had some minor injuries I havent had anything serious happen that I couldnt work through.

lol..yeah thats pretty funny RR...And your doing the right appraoch in not burning out....Thats what happened to me except i did get 12 good years of power training untill my body started getting ijuries left and right....So i had to tone it down ..Even if im 100s of miles away from my best total im still pretty strong...Stronger then most of your avg weightlifters...I still wish i could go compete like the good old days...Now i just sit on the side lines and watch and wish....I hope u keep healthy RR ..U havent reached your highest staus yet...Just rememeber take your time on eac lift and remain focus..One slight move can cost u a fatal injury....We diff dont want that for u...so remain lifting smart...That was one of my down falls....I was to dareing and it cost me many of times...dw

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
lol..yeah thats pretty funny RR...And your doing the right appraoch in not burning out....Thats what happened to me except i did get 12 good years of power training untill my body started getting ijuries left and right....So i had to tone it down ..Even if im 100s of miles away from my best total im still pretty strong...Stronger then most of your avg weightlifters...I still wish i could go compete like the good old days...Now i just sit on the side lines and watch and wish....I hope u keep healthy RR ..U havent reached your highest staus yet...Just rememeber take your time on eac lift and remain focus..One slight move can cost u a fatal injury....We diff dont want that for u...so remain lifting smart...That was one of my down falls....I was to dareing and it cost me many of times...dw

That sucks bro about competing at least your honest and I like your attitude about it.

I too have to make changes at some point for one I have not been at it as long for my body is still fine but I'm a Bowler also and will go Pro and this will change my training ways I will still train for strength but not as much as a Powerlifter on a Westside Program.

I'm actually thinking it may come down to just maintaining strength.

I still have plenty of time so building strength an competing is still in process.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Up until the past year I was able to GO GO GO 110% all the time. If I could give advice to someone starting out I would tell them to focus on the core lifts and core strengths .And to pace yourself .

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic