Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Which 5x5 program do you think best for a competition newbie?

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
I have decided I want to lift in a competition, I figure why not, you only live once...right :) Anyway, I have used a variety of training routines in the past and most recently, just finished HST training and am wanting to focus more on strength since I want to at least dl in a meet, and perhaps squat as well. With that in mind, which version of the 5x5 would you recommend, the ones I have looked at seem to have more lower body emphasis, which is fine..but I just want to continue to grow and get stronger overall also.

I prefer whole body workouts anymore, it just seems to suit me better (have done 3/4/5 day splits and had gains, but like a full body approach better).

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
why a 5x5 instead of a 5-3-1?

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
only real reason is it is a method I haven't used, and I have been seeing alot of stuff about it LOL. I am just looking for something to challenge me and help me get stronger, and perhaps not be as exhaustive as the HST program has been, too much isolation work, I want to stick more to the basic compound stuff for a bit. :)

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
i am not a powerlifter but have done both 5x5 and 5-3-1 and much prefered 5-3-1 for strength gains. 5x5 didnt seem like it pushed me as much. but then i cut my teeth in the gym on the pyramid mindset and so i really like anything that models that.

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
I totally understand, did ALOT of pyramid work, was just kinda searching for something different I guess....I think the 5/3/1 would probably be a good method, would offer better strength gains than the midline pyramid I was doing before (8/6/4), and shouldn't be so taxing that I can't recover in a couple of days :)

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
i cant do much volume work, my joints are too fried. in a conversation with my dad last year as we were driving up to my grandmas burial and were talking about lifting, he said that if he could go back and do it all over again he would definately do a less is more approach. my dad is a thinker and just a few points below genius level and when he says something it is usually well thought out. he lifted for 40+ years but his body pretty bad these days. he still goes and does light movements but he feels that if he had done less that his joints and soft tissues would be in much better shape now. he just turned 70 this year. i have been a vet for 15 years and 10 of those years were spent doing a lot if not almost exclusively race horse practice. the damage done to the joints and soft tissues of these animals is amazing. the more ability they have the faster they tend to break down. the more races the run during their 2 and 3 yo years, the less overall races they have in a racing career. one of these days i will put all my thoughts and observations down on paper and see if they still make sense :)

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
I feel a 5x5 system is more for strenght training rather then for power...I feel a 5 x3 is the ticket for building power.And for a good reason it allows u to train heaver then u would doing five reps ...U can train a more closer percenage to your max lifts...Here is my scale of of reps that repersent power and strenght

Power -1 to 3 reps
strenght -5 to 8 reps

Anything above 8 reps heads towards fast twich which has nothing to do with power of strengh.Thats just my view ......dw

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
thanks atw and dw, I do appreciate your opinion on it. Since I don't really plan to be a powerlifter long term, I really just want to try out competing (and have no desire at all to do the figure/bb thing-that itty bikini just isn't me LOL) so am torn between the strength vs. power methods. I also want to get some respectable PR's for my size LOL...

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Lol DW we have a saying at the garage........."anything over 6 reps is cardio ;).ATW I agree with the less is more approach.Amma and I have both been consistantly training and competing since 2004 (she may have been training a bit longer for power) .We are ,for lack of better words,old dogs in the sport.We are also in the top portion of our class.We have both seen the "lifespan" of some of the newer competitors burn out fast.I would rather be able to do this awhile than burn out and wreck myself.Though I have had some minor injuries I havent had anything serious happen that I couldnt work through.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
why a 5x5 instead of a 5-3-1?

Nobody should do a 5-3-1 until a 5x5 runs it's coarse it's why the 5-3-1 was was designed by a Powerlitfer the knew once 5's become light work triples and singles are implemented.

5's for a powerlifter is taking it easy plus not everyone should do a 5-3-1 and to truly do it you can't do it alone.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
i am not a powerlifter but have done both 5x5 and 5-3-1 and much prefered 5-3-1 for strength gains. 5x5 didnt seem like it pushed me as much. but then i cut my teeth in the gym on the pyramid mindset and so i really like anything that models that.

See you already know my point lol!

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Care to elaborate on the cant do it alone theory?Not being a smart ass I am interested to hear your theory on this.I expect mine isnt truly a 5/3/1 as i do not follow anything but the main lifts percentage wise.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic