Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

When to use Weight lifting Belts

jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
Who uses a weight lifting belt and for what lifts?

I never used a belt before and I purchased a nice powerlifting belt about a year ago. Wore it once or twice. Last week I decided to try a belt again on my higher squats and I guess my waste got a lot smaller. So now I gotta go buy another one.

I have always been one not to use straps and belts. Knee and Wrist wraps I am all over. So what is everyones else's view on belts and wrist straps???

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
I use a belt on working sets, squats only...... Never wore one until this year and I love it... Inzer 13mm lever...
Having back issues this year and I'll be 40yo next month so that's my excuse.. But if someone younger with a better back than me used one I'd just think that they are a lil smarter than me lol.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
When I was young I used one for everything, now that I'm old I only wear one on working sets of squats and deads. I think they are a good thing for added support and protection on heavier lifts.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
I use the belt on squats when I feel my back starting to give up stability. Generally I use it for lifts > 135.

I have occasionally pulled it out for the top end of my heavy alternating dumbbells rows (140s) when my back has been tweaking (I've had repeated issues w/ my IT bands, one side tighter than the other which causes one side of my lower back to start losing stability)I also use it on the hack squat but looser more as an extension of the sled (which comes up a little high from where I like it) than for back support.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Ever since I had my lower back reconstructed, I refuse to use belts or wraps, instead I train the little support muscles so that my body forms its own supports. ten years later after major spine surgery - I still do heavy deads, heavy rows, heavy presses, squats etc- No belts ever- but I have a specific lower back routine- I never do an exercise sitting or laying that I can do standing so that I can develop my core. We even have a special cable system in which I do all my benching for chest while standing verticle- but then again- Im not a competative lifter- which I would recommend they always wear a belt during max training and competition

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
On the treadmill of course!!

I don't use one and haven't for many years.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
I use the belt on squats when I feel my back starting to give up stability. Generally I use it for lifts > 135.

I have occasionally pulled it out for the top end of my heavy alternating dumbbells rows (140s) when my back has been tweaking (I've had repeated issues w/ my IT bands, one side tighter than the other which causes one side of my lower back to start losing stability)I also use it on the hack squat but looser more as an extension of the sled (which comes up a little high from where I like it) than for back support.

So you work out with 140 pound dumbells and you are a female- Thats pretty damn impressive. My gal pal that I chat with past 20 years at the gym - she is very pretty , 50 year old women, former competative BB and ballet dancer - Ive never seen anyone as stong as her female- 140s damn good- many guys at my gym cant do that . I go high reps with 200's only cuz I cant find a gym with heavier dumbells - You should post up your routines and training in the womens section and if you already have , I may have to check them out - Thanks :)

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
I definitely use it on my big squats and deads and occasionally I'll use them on a bench. I feel I get more when my abs have something to push against, but that's me. I have a big fat Cardillo PL Belt with two pin buckle, love it!

gotclen

gotclen

VIP Member
Oct 20, 2011
To be honest I have never been able to get comfortable with a belt. I have owned a few and just can't seem to find a sweet spot for it. So, 99.9% of the time I have never used them. I feel like when it goes around the very top of my hips I can't snug it enough. Then when I move it up above the hip I'm just squeezing the ab area and that is so uncomfortable. I dont get it. With my back problems It would be nice to help stabilize when one side starts to get weak etc.

So, really no belt for me in any lifts. Last week I pulled it out again did a set of squats and felt like my upper body was smashing into the edge of the belt. I'm just weird I guess:)

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I use weight belts for oly squats (front & back) and conventional pulls (deadlifts). That's it.

I don't use it for any assisting lifts like RDL, SLDL, Pulls from Floor to Knee, Bench, Push Press, Rows, etc.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
To be honest I have never been able to get comfortable with a belt. I have owned a few and just can't seem to find a sweet spot for it. So, 99.9% of the time I have never used them. I feel like when it goes around the very top of my hips I can't snug it enough. Then when I move it up above the hip I'm just squeezing the ab area and that is so uncomfortable. I dont get it. With my back problems It would be nice to help stabilize when one side starts to get weak etc.

So, really no belt for me in any lifts. Last week I pulled it out again did a set of squats and felt like my upper body was smashing into the edge of the belt. I'm just weird I guess:)

Have you tried a lever belt? I wear mine a few inches higher than my hip and don't snap it shut until just before I start my set.... I've had a couple shitty belts that are pretty much worthless to but I love my inzer.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic