Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

When To Start Competing?!?

H

HammerHead

Apr 26, 2011
I have always wanted to compete in power lifting, but I don't really know where I rank. I would like to get into the RAW division for DL, BP, and Squats. I have been browsing the power lifting sites and am still unclear about what all the #s mean. I see different max. lift poundage for the same weight class in just about every "results book" I look in. I was looking at this record in particular:

http://image.aausports.org/sports/powerlifting/11/11_AAU_Raw_Nats_Results.pdf

I am assuming these #s are in kilograms.
Looking at those records I can easily compete. When I look at other records, I feel as if I haven't worked out a day in my life!! LOL

So I ask, when did you decided to compete?

I am planning on dropping down into the 198 class around 10/11% bf.

Stats

224lbs
32 y.o.
5'8

Deadlift
495x 4

Squat
405x 4

Bench Press
I have no idea?!? Been a long while since I flat benched.
I incline DBs 130x 4

Thank You for taking the time to read. :)

ALL feedback welcome!

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
i say no time is too late to start. heck, if for no other reason than to mark it off your bucket list. if you want to do it, do it. if you love it, do more, if not, no big deal, what did you lose? atleast with powerlifting and such you dont have to starve yourself for weeks and deal with the politics of the art of bodybuilding.

BlueDevil

BlueDevil

MuscleHead
Jul 9, 2011
Just go for dude. Never too late to start.

And yes that pdf is in kgs. Most American sites I've looked at have lbs but I guess AAU doesn't.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Jump in head first!The amount of experience you can get from a competition is worth it.Even if youplace dead last and wanna go cry at the end of the meet.

Competing really tells you where you are at and what you need to do to get to the top.As a competitor it should fuel you to improve.Take ownership of your faults and go from there.

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
the best time to start competing is wheneverthefuck you decide to pick up your skirt, grab your balls and GO FOR IT!
lol. just do it bro. dont overthink it. if its something you want then go after it

H

HammerHead

Apr 26, 2011
I appreciate the encouragement!

I guess it's time to take my skirt off and skin my knees with the big boys!

I was more trying gauge what to expect at the event. I don't want to pull up in a Prius when everyone is cruising Z06 Vette's.

There is a WABDL event coming a couple hours from my house in AUG, I will most likely attend. Hopefully I can understand how it all works before it's too late to register.

What they didn't specify in the rules was foot positioning. As you seen from my last thread is that I have been pulling Sumo style. My lift #s are the same either style but what is the "legal" foot positioning?

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
im sure the other powerlifters know for sure but im almost 100% positive based on other threads in here that it doesnt matter which stance you pull from. whatever is most comfortable or strongest for you!

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
i'm pretty sure sumo is legit. i dont compete but a couple of my boys compete and they use the sumo stance.

p.s. if your really driving a Prius i'd walk. lol

H

HammerHead

Apr 26, 2011
p.s. if your really driving a Prius i'd walk. lol[/QUOTE]

I thought the Prius was the same as walking....... I'm pretty sure it's the Flintstone's model that they put back on the market. The true meaning of "kick start"

Now the next question is about drug testing. According to the rules of the WABDL they seem very strict about testing and the penalties. So I imagine this is when the detection times come into play for scheduling events.

Well you are definitely right about just jump in and go for it.

Last edited:
H

HammerHead

Apr 26, 2011
Jump in head first!The amount of experience you can get from a competition is worth it.Even if youplace dead last and wanna go cry at the end of the meet.

Competing really tells you where you are at and what you need to do to get to the top.As a competitor it should fuel you to improve.Take ownership of your faults and go from there.

Yes, I totally agree and I want to step my game up another couple notches. I passed up the average gym rats up years ago......... I am trying to learn how these "God's of Iron" are putting up those unreal numbers.

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
sumo is most certainly legit...my man pulls sumo and has more than one world record for it :) If you are uncertain, just find a meet and go see for yoruself, just as a spectator at least. It is so much more just average folks than you would expect....they are HYUGE and scary strong, but just people (and drive a variety of stuff from clunkers to sports cars, haven't seen more than one vette yet). Just be warned, the drive to compete will only be more intense when you are there watching....makes me want to do it every time :)

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
and for the record...Andy Bolton is super nice, when Bob competed at the Night of the Living Deadlift last fall we met Andy and kept running into him at Shoneys at breakfast. I was just suprised at how "normal" even a rockstar like Andy is.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic