Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

Whats wrong with this guys form?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Sure, his set up is wrong. Look at how high his hips are in relation to his shoulders. Drop those hips more. Look at where his shoulders are in relation to the bar. They are in front of the bar and should be inline with them. Bring those shoulders back. He needs to learn to shoot those hips. If I'm not mistaken his weight is on the front of his feet but that's to be expected from this set up which is also wrong.

Correct one thing at a time and watch his numbers improve.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
In case you want reasons for what I said here they are. The hips being so high makes it a lower back lift and takes the legs out of the initial drive which isn't a good thing. Shoulders out in front brings the bar out of the area of balance which causes him to try to pull it back with his lats (why he has problems near the top of the pull).

I could watch it more than twice and probably give you more if you'd like but technique is everything when you want to lift really heavy weights.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I watched before reading BI's comments and came to the same conclusion. His shoulders are way out over the bar. Couple other things...

Ditch those shoes. Get some wrestling shoes, chucks or socks.

Pull up the legs of the shorts. He kinda hitched at the end cause he was caught in the shorts.

A narrower belt would help as well.

beast

beast

May 19, 2011
This guy is trying to pull 560ish in a meet Nov 2nd. I repost this week after making a few adjustments.!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Cool. Just remember only change 1 thing at a time or it'll turn into a cluster ****. If he brings those shoulders back I'd wager everything else will fall in place.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
He is looking down at his feet too. Have him pic a spot about 10' out and look at it. It will help him keep is shoulders tight and not allow them to roll forward.

As for the zero leg drive. Have him try to start doing deads off a 2" deficit and it will allow him to feel the legs much better!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
He is looking down at his feet too. Have him pic a spot about 10' out and look at it. It will help him keep is shoulders tight and not allow them to roll forward.

As for the zero leg drive. Have him try to start doing deads off a 2" deficit and it will allow him to feel the legs much better!

Good call. The deficit will force his hips down and shoulders back fixing what is wrong above. Nice one Mac.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
That does look better but the angle is a bit off so I could be wrong. I see him really getting the hips down and back. That's great stuff.

The back is so rounded though. With 315 he should be able to tighten that a bit. Not shrug it that will only increase ROM but at the set up, try and tuck the shoulder blades into his back pockets.

Hit 10 x 10 BB rows every deadlift day as well to strengthen the area.

beast

beast

May 19, 2011
That does look better but the angle is a bit off so I could be wrong. I see him really getting the hips down and back. That's great stuff.

The back is so rounded though. With 315 he should be able to tighten that a bit. Not shrug it that will only increase ROM but at the set up, try and tuck the shoulder blades into his back pockets.

Hit 10 x 10 BB rows every deadlift day as well to strengthen the area.

If you don't mind me asking, how many years have you been at this and what's your PR's??

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
If you don't mind me asking, how many years have you been at this and what's your PR's??

Switched to PL in Jan 2012 I have a deadlift PR of 585, 505 x 5, 545 for a double (hopefully a triple this week). I have a meet in three weeks where I am looking at hitting a PR of 610 or so. Hopefully more like 630-640. I currently weight just under 270 and compete in the 275lb weight class, raw modern with RPS.

I also have been preparing two gentleman for the same meet. One is on this very board and can attest to my ability to improve someone's technical abilities. They have both been working very hard with me over the past few months, have taken my advice and are smashing PR's weekly.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic