Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

What's worse than a torn quad? A blood clot!

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Been where you are. consider yourself lucky, i had 3 strokes in different areas of my brain. i suggest you get full blood work clotting factors included. im willing to bet you are prone to clotting disorders. And never think about running eq again

Thanks for chiming in man. Man, you are lucky to be alive wow! My rbc count came back a bit high which they attribute to the eq. I am still waiting for the coagulation results which takes about a week.

Thanks man and any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Hawk

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
It's nothing to play with.
My friend Thor (Conrad) just had a major stroke from a clot in his arm. He is fucked now.
Long thread at PM with donations for him since he has now lost everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sorry as I had no idea about Thor. To be honest that could have been me. I have no issurance, almost no savings (thanks recession) and a 100k of life insurance. Half to get more, but I have dipped since a teen...

Clearly, I have been a bit reckless, but I have had to real that in for all my life. This helps to prioritze things for sure.

Hawk

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
I am rehabbing a torn quad as we speak. And it sucks. I'm at 100 degrees ROM and I can do a bodyweight squat to parallel.

In some PL feds, that would be considered ass to grass :)

Anyways I am staying positive. I have a good friend who tore his quad off, just like I did. He had some blood clots and it also got infected.

He ended up losing his leg completely. On a positive note, I saw a recent video of him deadlifting 600lbs even with the prosthetic.

Scary stuff-

It is scary for sure. It is also crazy just the risk we take for this sport we love. My buddy who blew both knees just called be tonight and said his bench partner dropped 440 on his chest and broke 6 ribs.

You got to weigh the price,
Hawk

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
So, I had some swelling on the inside of my thigh and thought I tore my gracillis or something. I got shifty on some squats and felt a small twitch, but went on to train legs again later that week but with some soreness. Another day or two goes by and I have rednss and swelling mid thigh and just below my knee on the inside. Still thinking it was a tear I made an appointment with my MT. Well, she had no clue so just rubbed my leg down with ice to reduce the swelling. However, at the same office we have a family friend who does ART and cracks my wifes back every few weeks. Her opinion was that is was vascular so they peruaded me to see a doc. Well, I was reluctant because my wife and I are uninsured (insert thanks Obama, kids are covered though) and I'm stubborn.

Nonetheless, after seeing the doc then getting the ultrasound it appears I have two blood clots in my left leg. The doc was a young lady and rather nice, but cornered me about aas. I suspect the high bp and the scale reading 287 (with clothes) at 5'11" may have raised suspicion. Anyway, I fessed right up as I dont want to die yet and she simply replied I need to drop them. My reply was, not a problem. Besides that she prescribed me blood thinners and said not to push it.

My current state since the thinners have kicked in is mild pain when standing, slight swelling and stiffness. I am a bit bummed as my squat was finally feeling good and I have to cross Eq off the list of AAS that I can use. I was running 400mg EW with some T which is likely what brought this to the surface. In my mind I was being conservative, but did not realize I had an underlying condition.

I am grateful for finding out before it became more serious. Moving actually helps so I have continued to work (hell I am self employed so no work=no pay), but I have a young apprentice who is more than happy to pull some extra weight. As far as the gym goes, I am thinking of doing something I have never been able to force myself to do...a 12 week arm blast...while trying to trim. I am not going to pull or squat for a few weeks and even then not heavy till I get the ok.

All in all, it could have been worse and like many challenges they can make us reprioritze and improve in other ways. A final word would be to respect your health at least for your faimiles sake. Their are people who love and need you.

Hawk

Im glad you got it checked out early, and you're going to be all right.

Def drop the eq like the others said, its not helping. TRT dose of test for awhile, and maybe if you can, a light dose of GH per day to help with recovery. I'm guessing that's why you were using the eq, right? (For its healing properties). Because 400mg per week is conservative when it comes to eq dosages.

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
Hawk do you get routine blood work? This should have shown up in hematocrit levels.

I had to cross EQ and Adrol off my list because my RBC goes sky high if I use them. Ran the same dose 400 EW w/EQ and had some blood work done and I was in the high end of the blood clotting range. I have actually considered drawing my own blood to help prevent issues like so (haven't yet).

Hope everything gets resolved for ya Hawk

Here's a video of KK talking about "bloodletting" for overall health and why he does it.

Yep, found this out the hard way. Went to give blood a few years ago, and my hematocrit levels were off the charts. Plus high BP of course.

Now I donate every 3 months for the health benefits and to help out others in need. Overtime it helped keep my levels in check. Took awhile though to bring them back to normal levels. A couple of visits actually and low dosages.

AXEMURDERER

AXEMURDERER

MuscleHead
Jan 5, 2011
Huge proponent of giving blood every two months at least. A doc with script you out for one donation every couple of weeks if you request it and your levels are high. Highly recommend it.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Im glad you got it checked out early, and you're going to be all right.

Def drop the eq like the others said, its not helping. TRT dose of test for awhile, and maybe if you can, a light dose of GH per day to help with recovery. I'm guessing that's why you were using the eq, right? (For its healing properties). Because 400mg per week is conservative when it comes to eq dosages.

Well, I was jus feeling out EQ as I hadnt used it in years. I was also on a gram of T blend. I ran npp and my weiner broke and took 8 weeks to work right again. So, I was trying other things.

Hawk

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Huge proponent of giving blood every two months at least. A doc with script you out for one donation every couple of weeks if you request it and your levels are high. Highly recommend it.

Thanks, I will discuss with my md.

Hawk

enjoy_tren

enjoy_tren

VIP Member
Jan 7, 2014
Thanks for chiming in man. Man, you are lucky to be alive wow! My rbc count came back a bit high which they attribute to the eq. I am still waiting for the coagulation results which takes about a week.

Thanks man and any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Hawk

I was training legs when i had the stroke. my ass trained thru it and drove home and didnt think anything of it. the next day i couldnt even talk....as in i lost all my speech skills. drove myself to the er tbat afternoon and sure enough. I felt like my life was over and training were done with. Ended up getting some good advice from mikern from this board and i still train hard and run gear. just very careful on how i do it.

Get used to taking a baby asprin for life. donate blood often, lowest doses possible. gear isnt the only thing that can cause a stroke, a lot of medicines can also raise ur risk. youre a powerlifter i assume so using valsalva breathing may not be the smartest thing

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
I was training legs when i had the stroke. my ass trained thru it and drove home and didnt think anything of it. the next day i couldnt even talk....as in i lost all my speech skills. drove myself to the er tbat afternoon and sure enough. I felt like my life was over and training were done with. Ended up getting some good advice from mikern from this board and i still train hard and run gear. just very careful on how i do it.

Get used to taking a baby asprin for life. donate blood often, lowest doses possible. gear isnt the only thing that can cause a stroke, a lot of medicines can also raise ur risk. youre a powerlifter i assume so using valsalva breathing may not be the smartest thing
That had to be freaky as hell man. And my dad and brother have both have blood clots and they rarely drive by a gym. The doc said, to ease into it. If I feel any pain etc... to back it off.

Needless to say, I have no desire to put uneccessary risk on my body. Cutting down on gear was always part of the plan, just didnt expect it to be this early is all.

Hawk

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic