Rolanalon
What's New?

What's too much while Fasting?

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Just as the title says, what is too much while fasting that it will break the fast? Cream in a coffee? Flavor shot? Coconut oil? What is the maximum intake while fasting that will technically not disrupt the fast.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
That’s most accurately answered based on what your fasting goals are, and length of fast.
For optimal autophagy, maximum healing / health effect, then a dry fast (no food nor liquid) is the ultimate.
For general health therapeutic effects and some fat/weight reduction, then you want to avoid all carbs as well as any sweetners known to spike insulin — because then you’re hindering lipolysis.
A small amount (avg serving) of cream, mct, butter is acceptable.
Depending on length of fast (If 24hr plus), a bit of bone broth can be helpful and is non interfering for such a goal generally (for most).

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Sorry, should have been clearer. This is in regards to Intermittent Fasting, so 16ish hours on fast.

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
I've gone 12 to18 hours with only clear fluids. It's pretty easy to do with sleeping all nite and skipping breakfast.

Never gone as long as 24 hours plus.

Bilter has posted fasting protocol in the past. Interested to see his reply.

ValeTudo8080

ValeTudo8080

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2011
I want to try fasting but too dam hungry all the time!

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Sorry, should have been clearer. This is in regards to Intermittent Fasting, so 16ish hours on fast.

Ok. All the same applies whether 24hr or a standard 16/8 routine IF.

T

Triple D Star

Sep 8, 2021

What are your goals? & what's your diet like during the eating window?

As @testboner stated it's all dependent on that.

But even then, the effects of fasting & its health benefits, specially autophagy are all still fairly new fields of study so there might not be a definitive answer to your question but rather several discerning opinions.

& here is mine lol /combined with what I've learned or read from others.

Scientifically speaking anything besides water is going to break a fast because it triggers some type of metabolic response, yes even plain black coffee.

With that said if what you're consuming helps you fast longer/or gives you a worthwhile benefit , then I think it's worth it & coffee/green tea for example end up having a negative calorie effect in essence. A whole pot of black coffee probably has 20-30 calories, so if drinking coffee keeps you focused at work & prevents hunger/cravings/helps you fast, then it's well worth it. Scientifically you are breaking a fast but you're kind of not? lol You're going to burn way more calories making, drinking, digesting & going to pee the coffee out + you got a boost of energy/focus. So you'll end up in a deeper fasted state drinking plain black coffee.

The other stuff is a no go for me but that's based on my personal disposition, it could be beneficial to others but IMO it's really easy to overdo it & I think lots of people do. I think MCT oil can be beneficial but in capsules. IMO skipping breakfast/lunch to drink 400-500 calorie plus coffee isn't really fasting but just a keto diet & it's really easy to go over on calories when you're dealing with spoonfuls of straight fat , & yes I realize Keto changes CICO but it's still very much relevant.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Super strict: zero calories including coffee

Strict : coffee and electrolyte water only

Just for calorie reduction : coffee, e-water, low cal anything

I’m pretending to fast : just tell people you’re fasting, but don’t tell them you had milk in your coffee, a banana from the gas station, and a quick donut when you first got to work.

T

Triple D Star

Sep 8, 2021
Super strict: zero calories including coffee

Strict : coffee and electrolyte water only

Just for calorie reduction : coffee, e-water, low cal anything

I’m pretending to fast : just tell people you’re fasting, but don’t tell them you had milk in your coffee, a banana from the gas station, and a quick donut when you first got to work.

There’s a couple of levels more strict then that but they border on/or are pretty crazy/insane.

But I can’t really judge because I’ve used clenbuterol & trenbolone in the past & I’m considering DNP lol

Hardcore dry fasting is absolutely no water touching your body. You can’t shower or brush your teeth. Ideally alone in nature, preferably near a natural body of water without electronics or books.

The idea is that your body will be forced to adapt & become uber resourceful, since you’re not drinking water your body will make metabolic water from stored fat & inefficient cells.

There’s also the belief that your body adapts & is able to absorb the moisture in the air so you want to be in a natural environment away from contaminants.

Books, Music, electronics & people all affect dopamine/oxytocin in the body.

& then there’s dry fasting plus urine therapy. You do all of the above + you either drink your own pee &/or apply it on your body.

There’s people out there that say they’ve cured “incurable” diseases doing so.

Thankfully I don’t have a incurable disease so I won’t be drinking my pee anytime soon but hell if I did I’d consider it.

I’ve done a soft dry fast before & would like to work myself up to doing a hardcore one minus the pee & probably do it on a yearly basis.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
I’m going to draw the line at dry fasting WITH showers and teeth brushing, haha.

I’ve done a 3 day fast, recently, with nothing but coffee and electrolyte water. Overall a very positive experience and I’ll do it again soon. I intermittent fast almost every day for what seems like years now, so 16-18 hours with just coffee and loads of water is no problem at all anymore. I have incredible workouts too, at the end of my fasts. If you told me that 5 years ago I’d have laughed at you. Who knows anymore…

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic