Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

whats the best routine for gaining muscle

G

gaingpounds27

Oct 2, 2019
looking for a program that can be about 45 mins a session so many times a week to gain muscle

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
First off, welcome to TID! Lots of good information here.

The key to growth is a combination of things. There is no magic workout routine. Some people can get away with hitting a body part 2X/week, while others do well on each body part 1x/week. The key is progressive loading. You want to increase the number of reps, or the weight, or decrease the rest period between sets on a substantially continual basis. Obviously you won't always move up, but that's your goal.

A solid routine, coupled with smart nutrition and sufficient rest, and your body absolutely will respond. You'll need to be in a caloric surplus to grow. You can't be dieting and expect to put on lean mass. Decent macro breakdown... maybe 40/30/30 (p/c/f). Don't skimp out on good fats, and you don't have to be doing more than 40 percent of your calories being protein. You can't utilize it all, and it'll make you constipated. Keep your water intake high.

And get plenty of sleep. You're growing in your rest periods.

G

gaingpounds27

Oct 2, 2019
thanks for the welcome tommy killer info taken notes and just trying to find a good routine to stick toobeen doing some reasech on the athlean x and muscle gain 2.0

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
^tommy pretty much nailed it. I'm on a 50/25/25 macro split. I don't even count reps unless I'm shooting for say 405x10 for a pr or something but all of my hypertrophy work I just go hard and focus on maximum stimulation. Pyramids, drop sets, supersets mixed in with strength (at beginning of workout). I hit each bodypart 2x a week. 3 to 6 exercises per body part and I have counted reps in the past and I'm typically in the 10 to 15 range per set, but sometimes higher like 20 and sometimes lower like 6 or 8. Really just depends on what I have going on.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
First off, welcome to TID! Lots of good information here.

The key to growth is a combination of things. There is no magic workout routine. Some people can get away with hitting a body part 2X/week, while others do well on each body part 1x/week. The key is progressive loading. You want to increase the number of reps, or the weight, or decrease the rest period between sets on a substantially continual basis. Obviously you won't always move up, but that's your goal.

A solid routine, coupled with smart nutrition and sufficient rest, and your body absolutely will respond. You'll need to be in a caloric surplus to grow. You can't be dieting and expect to put on lean mass. Decent macro breakdown... maybe 40/30/30 (p/c/f). Don't skimp out on good fats, and you don't have to be doing more than 40 percent of your calories being protein. You can't utilize it all, and it'll make you constipated. Keep your water intake high.

And get plenty of sleep. You're growing in your rest periods.

Exactly! One of the 7 laws in exercise science is the "law of individuality." Because each one of is very unique and individual we all grow differently and have to train slightly differently. So there is no one-size-fits-all program that is going to work.

We do have basic muscles that need to be worked each week. As Tommy said some of us need once a week, some twice. Some muscle group grow quickly and may need less work and some may not.

legs
chest
shoulders
back
biceps
triceps

Some people do good with low volume, so need high volume. All depends on your goals and YOU.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
check out 'dogcrapp' workouts. I had great results using dante trudel's routine. google doggcrapp and it will explain it all.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
I lean toward making big exercises the core of my training, things like deadlift, squat, bench, shoulder press, etc. And then add in other things that I'm concentrating on (assistance), say biceps/triceps, or shoulders. My thought is that with the big lifts I'm hitting most of my muscles (including core) already. So in any single day I'm doing 1-2 of the big lifts and then two or more assistance lifts.

I'm hardly a pro and not super massive (though I'm 51 and look like I lift). And this works for me and also staves off boredom.

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
What are you goals?
What are your current stats IE height, weight, activity levels?

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
The Big Dogs are always in the gym. Consistency is key, so the answer was in the question: ROUTINE.

C

ceo

VIP Member
Oct 12, 2010
check out 'dogcrapp' workouts. I had great results using dante trudel's routine. google doggcrapp and it will explain it all.
I wouldn't recommend DC to a beginner.

Strong lifts 5x5 is a great program for beginners into more advanced lifters. A great all around program focusing on progressing in the basics.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MPMC

MPMC

VIP Member
Jul 22, 2011
As stated already, diet is key. Make sure you're getting enough of the right calories daily and train hard. 5/3/1 is a great program for building strength and muscle. Did wonders for me combined with a good meal plan.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic