Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

What's the best All in one home dumbbell set?

H

Hardgainer82

May 11, 2013
My gym membership is up and I already own some fitness equipment so I decided to create my own gym at home. I have limited space so I like the idea of the of the all in one dumbbell sets. I have been researching them a bit and I am leaning towards getting the ironmasters set. Anyone have any experience with them, power blocks, bowflex select tech etc? I heard the bowflex are really long and awkward and rattle a bit. The power blocks have that weird cage grip. I like that you can expand the ironmasters from 75lb max to 120 then up to 165. Anyways, any feedback is appreciated because all three are pretty expensive and I don't want to buy something I am going to regret.
Thanks

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Love Love my powerblocks....took me about 3 workouts to get used to the bracketed grip but the weight disbursement is perfect and they aren't as bulky nor inconvenient as a bowflex. Plus you can upgrade the set up to 120lb dumbells I believe? I bought the basic pack and the extended pack that goes up to 90.....I lift in a couple of gyms but in a pinch, I love this set to get a quick 20 min workout to blast out shoulders or curls etc at home before I go out....... or sometimes to spark my system first thing in the morning before I shower. For a home gym to conserve space, I would highly recommend.

Good luck.....don't waste your money on bowflex select tech. They suck.

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
Yeah powerblocks are nice and compact. Don't drop them though. I like my blocks.

trentracks

trentracks

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 23, 2011
bowflex select techs suck,way to small handle section,bought a pair with stand off craigslist 50 bucks flipped them made 50

R

Realize

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2010
I also have powerblocks and love them. I keep them at work and have a fold up bench in the back room.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
NO contest. Ironmasters. Get the 120lb add-on kit. As sturdy as gym sets and can be used much nicer then powerblocks for pullovers, overhead tricep extensions etc (where you grab the end of dumbell)

Also you can actually drop them and they wont break.

I workout at home and have been using for sometime.

http://www.ironmaster.com/Quick-Lock-Dumbbells/#.UY6s47VQF8E

Last edited by a moderator:
J

J2048b

MuscleHead
Jul 2, 2012
I got a cheap ass pair of powerblocks from eBay! And they r awesome...a bit rusty but replacement parts are pretty cheap... $20 per each weight and replacement pins r $10 so its cool with me

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
If I'm not wrong i think lee priest was promoting this and using this as part as his home gym

H

Hardgainer82

May 11, 2013
Thanks for all the replies. I'm kind of torn between the powerblocks an ironmasters. Having no experience with either how are they for explosive lifts like a dumbell snatch or swings?

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Thanks for all the replies. I'm kind of torn between the powerblocks an ironmasters. Having no experience with either how are they for explosive lifts like a dumbell snatch or swings?

No contest.....drop a powerblock one time and see what happens.

Ironmasters are a MUCH better dumbell. As solid and sturdy as they come. Plus you can hold them by the ends like a traditional dumbell. Much more versatile.

another vid

H

Hardgainer82

May 11, 2013
Yeah those look pretty badass thanks man

C

Cheops

VIP Member
Oct 15, 2010
No contest.....drop a powerblock one time and see what happens.

Ironmasters are a MUCH better dumbell. As solid and sturdy as they come. Plus you can hold them by the ends like a traditional dumbell. Much more versatile.

another vid

I have the 130lb. pair of power blocks and I can tell you they have been dropped multiple times in the last 4 years with no ill effect. Dropping them isn't a concern, but I wouldn't want to drop either set on a regular basis.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic