Members
Latest Member
lk has no balls

What's a good power clean number

AXEMURDERER

AXEMURDERER

MuscleHead
Jan 5, 2011
I preferred hangs, but both were my bread and butter when I played ball. For a normal cat, 225 for reps is excellent. For a higher caliber athlete, 275 is good, 315 is really good, 365+ you have it mastered. Olympians dont count haha.

C

ccjc81

Feb 2, 2011
can you work powercleans into a deadlift routine or say alternate week to week just to stay fresh and build some explosivness

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
My max with a barbell is 225 ;)

E

Eduaq

Jun 22, 2011
power clean and press i did 265 and i was weighing in at about 170lbs but that was a ways back looking to get back into it

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
The absolute bare minimum to clean - and I'm saying bare minimum here is whatever you can overhead press... Just a rule in my head - if you can't clean it you can't press it... Just seems like proper decorum.

M

MatthewC

MuscleHead
Dec 7, 2011
I grew up Olympic lifting so I never got into power clean; only clean with the deep squat. We trained hanging cleans; but what constitutes a power clean as opposed to a regular clean. Best clean without a squat (powerclean?) was 235 when I was 180 lbs (also when I was 18) clean with a squat then the jerk was 255 at the same weight. Can do neither because of bad wrists now. Snatch squats are awful; but man do they give you balance.

I

IronWolf

Oct 18, 2013
At the college and increasingly at the high school level, coaches are telling athletes they are not allowed to do cleans. I was fortunate enough to go to a high school where it was allowed, but my college coaches said I couldn't. Their reasoning is solid - the lift is very dangerous and hard to master. I had perfect form and set records at my high school but got cocky one day and couldn't do squats or cleans for 2 years after that. I would say the perfect weight is 100% determined by your form. If your form sucks, back off the weight and work on that. Your body will tell you what you can do when your form is spot on. As far as a bare minimum, PillarofBalance is correct. Another easy indicator your weight is too light would that you are hitting yourself in the mouth with the bar as it travels upward and before your "catch" it. Incidentally, with a hang-clean at least, that is also an indicator that your form is good.

alpha

alpha

VIP Member
May 1, 2012
a good clean weight would depend on your bodyweight. 1.5x bw is a fairly good staple clean weight to try and achieve.

But, let me ask why you are limiting yourself to a power clean? Why not hit a full clean to max out your numbers? I think a few ppl in this thread are confusing what a power clean really is. A power clean is a clean that is caught in the 3rd pull phase of the clean above 90 degrees of hip flexion. You can have hang power cleans or power cleans from the floor, the start position doesn't dictate the "power" move, the catch does.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
old thread but Alpha nailed it. - Power cleans are an accessory lift usually done on lower volume days. If you're going to clean, squat clean.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
People shoot for a 500 pound squat, a 300 pound bench, but whats a good, really good, and great power clean poundage???

Solid by what standard? If you're serious... they 2x bodyweight.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
a good clean weight would depend on your bodyweight. 1.5x bw is a fairly good staple clean weight to try and achieve.

But, let me ask why you are limiting yourself to a power clean? Why not hit a full clean to max out your numbers? I think a few ppl in this thread are confusing what a power clean really is. A power clean is a clean that is caught in the 3rd pull phase of the clean above 90 degrees of hip flexion. You can have hang power cleans or power cleans from the floor, the start position doesn't dictate the "power" move, the catch does.

And don't forget cleans from a box.

You can muscle clean, power clean, and squat clean. You are correct in that the "catch" is what dictates what kind of clean is being performed. Powers are more common then squats when talking to athletes like football players, soccer players, and rugby players. It has a bigger carryover. IT doesn't though all the lifter to perform the lift with the heaviest amount of weight. It's also difficult for most people to pull themselves under the bar to receive the bar.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic