Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

What will the fitness industry look like moving forward?

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
It kinda reminds me of where Arnold and his crew lifted on the beach years ago...Except, not as crude!...I've lifted in a few gyms over the years that were antiquated, but nothing compared to this, lol!...
It gave me the same Venice Beach reminder. After a little more time to think about it I do remember seeing pics of the place you posted.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
I went into Walmart last night and they made all the isles one way with red and green stickers on the floor saying do not enter at one side and enter at the other. I messaged a buddy for a lil laugh and he said the other supermarkets did the same.

Most of our grocery stores have little green stickers on the floor reminding people of the 6 st distance rule. Again they have these where you check out. So people are lined up 6 ft apart half way up the isles so you can even get around. Walmart was paying someone to line up people who are ready to check out. Very few actual human checkers there, most are self checkout. But most places here had already going that direction. Even Lowes and Home Depot have mostly self checkout.

Our idiot Governor says he has a plan for restaurants opening. They will check everyone's temperature when they come in and those with a fever or cough will be bounced out. Everyone will have to wear gloves and masks. Imagine eating in a mask? Someone didn't think this stupidity out. But No one check my temperature in Walmart nor do I have to wear a mask or gloves. Amazing how our government believes we need to be treated like children. Hell, if you are afraid of getting sick, stay the fuck home.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
My wife and I had a small "key club" years back. I filled up a small office space full of equipment and let an approved group of people train. However, they had to donate time to help me run powerlifting meets, judge, load, spot or help me move equipment to the sites 3-4 times a year. Some of the best hard core training I have ever had. After about 10 years I heard too much complaining about helping out, but no one complained about having a place to train. So I shut it down. Holy crap, I even gave them free powerlifting gear for helping with the meets. Most ended up with 3-4 new bench shirts and/or squats suits every year with grocery bags of knee wraps.

Reminds me of the jews in biblical times!...They murmured all the time, even after being rescued from beatings, slavery, ect!!!...Ya gota love people!!!!

noiseboy

noiseboy

Apr 10, 2020
I've given this some thought. But this coming from someone that never owned a gym....had owned a small business and is educated in the business industry.

Biggest hitters are the organized events that count on making money at said organized events (meets, competitions, etc). Competitors competing in said organized events. Vendors contributing to and attending said organized events. Will be interesting to see the first few big events because i doubt that vendors will contribute much in the events. Might see smaller prize money and smaller trophies.

Gyms (large and small). Some will close, some will weather the storm. Some have adapted by providing their clients with online workouts to supplement going in. (its never the same, buy hey they try!). The smaller gyms will probably be able to reopen first since they can restrict the # of guests that come in pretty easily.

Personal trainers. Although some are successful in converting to an online format. Hey, now is the time to get those CEU's in or acquire some more certifications and education so when shit opens back up, you are well armed. I think a lot will find another path to make money.

Fitness supply companies: hardware supplies to build up a home gym are in high demand right now. Good for those suppliers, but that will fizzle out.
Workout clothing gear: i have seen a ton, and i suspect some will dry up/close down.
Supplement companies: They will weather the course. They have just changed the model in which you can get your protein powder, etc. The customers that are continuing to work out and have a great home gym are still needing these type of things. I was in a supplement store locally last week and overheard the guy ask the customer in front of me how she had heard of them and she said that they were the only ones that were still open. I think some will feel the effect and def slow down in sales. Some will close up, and some will survive.

The general fitness industry survives on fad's. So the latest and greatest thing to hit the market, or someone will come up with something for the home. Shoot, there are plenty of that out there anyway, but I think inventors will re-invigorate the market in this area. Will just refresh or tweak.
Those that have money, will

When things start to slowly open back up...it will be slow and state by state/region by region. The biggest hit will be the highly populated areas. In those highly populated areas, i see an increase in fights at the gyms because they will need to max out on the # of ppl in there and some hot heads will pop off.

What will really be interesting is the increase in fat burners or more will hit the market because after this is over ppl that gained weight during quarantine will want to get a fast pill to burn fat quickly LOL. Someone will come up with a quarantine fat burner, if they havent' already lol.

Very thoughtful, well reasoned response. Unfortunately, the fads never die.;-) It’ll be slow and painful before things get back to “normal,” if ever. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Most of our grocery stores have little green stickers on the floor reminding people of the 6 st distance rule. Again they have these where you check out. So people are lined up 6 ft apart half way up the isles so you can even get around. Walmart was paying someone to line up people who are ready to check out. Very few actual human checkers there, most are self checkout. But most places here had already going that direction. Even Lowes and Home Depot have mostly self checkout.

Our idiot Governor says he has a plan for restaurants opening. They will check everyone's temperature when they come in and those with a fever or cough will be bounced out. Everyone will have to wear gloves and masks. Imagine eating in a mask? Someone didn't think this stupidity out. But No one check my temperature in Walmart nor do I have to wear a mask or gloves. Amazing how our government believes we need to be treated like children. Hell, if you are afraid of getting sick, stay the fuck home.
It actually sounds like he is about the only one trying to come up with a plan that a lot of people aren't going to like. When this first started here in Fl., before they closed everything down, they mentioned here what you are saying about taking temp, no fever, no cough, gloves and mask but they were talking about the restaurant employees. It's possible that's what he was talking about.

He may not be trying to treat people like children, I'm thinking if he's making one of the first moves, he has to look like he is doing everything in his power to stay safe and cover his political ass just in case this causes another huge peak.

I saw a little earlier where he said something like, "there are more important things than lives now". Not an exact quote but he has his head on the chopping block. Someone's got to be the first.

They opened up parks in Fl today but no beaches except one but they did it about a week ago.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
So today our county government singed an executive order forcing us all to wear masks in public. Enforceable for a $1000 fine. The local police say they will not be able to enforce this one and have drawn the line. They did exclude us from having to wear one at home......nice huh?

Narkissos

Narkissos

Aug 12, 2011
In my country, everything is shut... And has been for about a month. That includes my personal training studio. My clients are training virtually.. At home. I've rented out most of my equipment to my clients and staff.

I think, for the rest of the world at least, fitness is going to be virtual for a while

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
So today our county government singed an executive order forcing us all to wear masks in public. Enforceable for a $1000 fine. The local police say they will not be able to enforce this one and have drawn the line. They did exclude us from having to wear one at home......nice huh?

Hang in, bro!...Don't know what to say....It looks like a crap shoot from what I can tell...Some places are going to extremes, others not....In my state (FL) the gov. is reporting that we have more beds available then before this all started....Also said that deaths are way, way lower than what was predicted....Go figure!!!

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
I predict an influx of jerk-offs joining gyms once things open up. Thankfully they never last long but most continue to pay their memberships. The classic "I joined a gym/ I have a gym membership" crowd. As I have said for decades, gyms make nothing off me, gyms only make money from people paying and not wearing down the equipment.

Bless their fat "fair health' enlarged hearts.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
I predict an influx of jerk-offs joining gyms once things open up. Thankfully they never last long but most continue to pay their memberships. The classic "I joined a gym/ I have a gym membership" crowd. As I have said for decades, gyms make nothing off me, gyms only make money from people paying and not wearing down the equipment.

I am hoping all of these "jerk-offs" that were already there from January 1st New Years resolutions gave it up and won't return.:)

You are right. These big corporate gyms love the idiots who sign up for 3 year contracts, workout 1 week and never come back. They still have to pay. We, like you said, actually use the equipment and occupy space.

two_slug

two_slug

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2012

This goes back all the way to Bally's and then Golds, etc.. that came up with these long term contracts.. If all the with New Year's resolutions folks that signed up actually worked out over a month, we would be working out at home because we couldn't get through the front door.

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011

They're all just tourists, lol

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic