Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

What Type Of Physique Do You Want For Power Lifting?

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
To an extent. But there is a best of both worlds. Coleman was pulling over 800 lbs during contest prep. Matt krocvaleski has recently transitioned from powerlifting to bodybuilding and isn't having too much trouble. You can be both, it'll just take more time, and you won't be the BEST at both. Pick one as your primary and use the other as your side show. You can be big and strong, just know your main goal and prioritize it. I'm into both power and bodybuilding. Being competitive at both is ideal for me.

I've been reading and hearing that a larger muscle can be a stronger muscle.

Look at all the guys at the top breaking world records.... They're huge.

I also want to specify, I'm not interested in a low body fat %. I would be happy around 18-20%. That's all I would like. I just want to have a lot of muscle.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I also want to specify, I'm not interested in a low body fat %. I would be happy around 18-20%. That's all I would like. I just want to have a lot of muscle.

Me too.

I want to be big, and I want to be strong as ****.

I have no desire to sacrifice size or strength for aesthetics.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I hit the "New posts" button and didn't notice a BBing type question in the PLing section. To ask what physique you want in the PLing section and only expect PLers to reply is retarded.

Not retarded at all. Powerlifters are all closet bodybuilders

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I am a weirdo then. I cant decide on a single goal to pursue. I know I could lift much more if I let my weight rise, but I am not willing to do it just for strength. I am cutting right now, which is totally counter productive to my powerlifting. (right before cutting I was up to a 1500+ total at 200lbs RAW). My strength has tanked as usual. (just like it does every time I cut). But the flip side is, I am getting really happy with the way I look. Seeing separation and striations come in all over. I lift for strength, but I have a goal on how I want to look as well. For me it is staying close to 10%. I spent way too long without abs (over a decade), and now I am not willing to give them up.

To each their own.... I respect strength and what powerlifters do, but I lived for a long time with a 36"+ waist. I have no interest in going back there no matter how much I can lift.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Thanks for confirming what we already knew.

:)

True true! :D Nothing but respect for your goals FLEX. They are yours and no one can argue that you dont walk the walk. That is the great thing about being able to have different outlooks. Still would love some day to catch a good workout with ya!. I know you would make my bust a nut trying to out lift you. ;) Peace!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Nothing wrong with being a lean PLer. Sure, this guy doesn't look powerful at all and just looks like a puny BBer, right?

ripped-ol.jpg

That is actually the norm for elite level Oly lifters. The idea that strength athletes are fat slobs just isn't the case. I can post more than a dozen 85, 95, and 105kg Oly lifters who are very lean.

You can be lean and strong but you won't see strength athletes having a small waist or muscles in bber proportions like biceps matching calves in size and the rest...

If you want to put a PLer who is lean and big you should put a pic up of Dan Green.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
I am a weirdo then. I cant decide on a single goal to pursue. I know I could lift much more if I let my weight rise, but I am not willing to do it just for strength. I am cutting right now, which is totally counter productive to my powerlifting. (right before cutting I was up to a 1500+ total at 200lbs RAW). My strength has tanked as usual. (just like it does every time I cut). But the flip side is, I am getting really happy with the way I look. Seeing separation and striations come in all over. I lift for strength, but I have a goal on how I want to look as well. For me it is staying close to 10%. I spent way too long without abs (over a decade), and now I am not willing to give them up.

To each their own.... I respect strength and what powerlifters do, but I lived for a long time with a 36"+ waist. I have no interest in going back there no matter how much I can lift.

Nothing wrong with that man. I would love to get to 10%, but I'm the opposite. I don't want to lose what little strength I have getting there.

I enjoy hearing other people's goals

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
I've been reading and hearing that a larger muscle can be a stronger muscle.

Look at all the guys at the top breaking world records.... They're huge.

Yeah as I said before to an extent. A larger muscle could potentially be a stronger one, but then again there are 160 lb top tier guys lifting more than the majority of mid to high level 220 lb guys. Its all relative really. It depends on the person. Me personally I have to gain weight to add any strength. I can cut weight and maintain most if not all of it, but to gain it I need to be in a pretty good caloric surplus. But yeah, 18-20% while being a strength athlete and a big ass dude should be no problem to balance the 2. As mentioned above there are a lot of sub 10% strength athletes, your goal is definitely achievable through hard work.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
There are plenty of not sloppy powerlifters out there who are strong..... The Lilliebridges, dan Green, Jason Coker, Jose Garcia, Dave Hoff, Chuck Vogelpohl, Brandon Lilly.....
I'm built like a 20lb lighter version of Brandon and really happy with my build. No abs, but no huge gut.

In the end, I'm a powerlifter, all I care about is being strong while staying reasonably healthy. If I could be 380# and healthy and it would get my total from just under 2500 to 2700 then I'd gladly grow that gut.
If going from a Brandon Lilly build to a Donnie Thompson build can get me 300 more pounds on my total without losing any quality of life I'd do it in a heart beat.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Thanks for chiming in porky. I was really excited to hear your input.

I wanna be built like you. I don't care about having abs, but I wanna "look" like i lift something, you know ?

Are you gonna do a mega bulk up to like 350 anytime in the future ?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic