Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

What type of Elbow Wraps

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
And if you read the OP's question he was asking for "advice on th many types of wraps offered which is what I did". They are from from a tourniquet and are a viable solution for many recreational lifters.

ill go so far as to posit that they actually offer some "rest" to the tendon by shifting the load. As stated by POB, few of us actually "rest" any injury.

He did ask for advice but from the sound of it I think he wants a solution to this nagging and painful problem and not a temp fix. He's already cut back on his lifting which one would posit that he's tired of it and ready to fix it. Putting a strap on his forearm won't fix it. It'll only prolong the issue and possibly create additional ones at the same time since he's shifting the load.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
And if you read the OP's question he was asking for "advice on th many types of wraps offered which is what I did". They are from from a tourniquet and are a viable solution for many recreational lifters.

ill go so far as to posit that they actually offer some "rest" to the tendon by shifting the load. As stated by POB, few of us actually "rest" any injury.

The presumed mechanism responsible for the symptomatic relief SOME note with bands is one of COMPRESSION! The compression reduces the swelling which occurs because of the underlying inflammatory process and thereby limits "exposure" to inflammatory mediators such as the cycloxygenase, luekotrienes, and arachadonic acids etc.

The same mechanism is responsible for the relief of symptoms when ice is used, which IME is probably the most effective of all the "RICE" components I listed.

On a comparative basis Tennis or golfers elbow is actually quite rare in BB or lifters because the motions involved in either, do NOT require the REPETITIVE use of an extremity in a relatively FIXED position in the SAME PLANE. Watch a GREAT golfer swing that club and compare that to cable pulls performed by a BB for Pec development; there really is NO COMPARISON on a realtime functional anatomic basis.

Thx
jim

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
Perhaps that's not the best comparison (LOL but I tried) but how many different ways are there to perform EFFECTIVE biceps curls? Multiple IMO. Yet how many truly effective way is there to swing that golf club? VERY FEW, because that perfect motion mandates the use of specific muscle groups on a repetitive basis.

It's this form of real time FOCAL and functional anatomic stress which is responsible for what is commonly referred to as "overuse injury syndromes".

jim

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
And I would argue that elbow tendonitis is actually quite COMMON with PLers/Strength Athletes.

Reactions: SAD
C

CBS

Jan 7, 2014
The presumed mechanism responsible for the symptomatic relief SOME note with bands is one of COMPRESSION! The compression reduces the swelling which occurs because of the underlying inflammatory process and thereby limits "exposure" to inflammatory mediators such as the cycloxygenase, luekotrienes, and arachadonic acids etc.

The same mechanism is responsible for the relief of symptoms when ice is used, which IME is probably the most effective of all the "RICE" components I listed.

On a comparative basis Tennis or golfers elbow is actually quite rare in BB or lifters because the motions involved in either, do NOT require the REPETITIVE use of an extremity in a relatively FIXED position in the SAME PLANE. Watch a GREAT golfer swing that club and compare that to cable pulls performed by a BB for Pec development; there really is NO COMPARISON on a realtime functional anatomic basis.

Thx
jim

I'm in need of clarification here. Are you referring to chronic overuse tendinopathy or tendinosis or an acute injury? Are you suggesting inflammation is a common histopathological finding in tendinosis?

And I would argue that elbow tendonitis is actually quite COMMON with PLers/Strength Athletes.

I suspect we're running into differences in nomenclature and possibly discussing different pathologies. It would be nice if the field of medicine would decide on a name for a condition as common as tennis or golf elbow. Is it epichondylitis, epicondylosis or epichondylalgia. Assuming we're talking about what I understand to be epicondylosis, I tend to agree that it is a common condition in strength training.

CBS

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Almost every lifter I know has experienced some form of tennis elbow at some point during their lifting career.

RICE worked best for me, and compression/massage while moving my arm has helped greatly. I also used TB-500 and had great success with that, but I realize most on here will advocate for RICE; Voodoo Floss; etc. before even considering something like TB-500, and I respect that.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
It is very common in streghtn training . Ironically the solution is isolated training . Which after years of cortisone both arms medial and distal epicondylitis I have been pain free few years now- my gym got this 5 way forearm station that makes it fast and easy to train on arm day train forearms

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic