Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

What took you too long to learn?

barbellbeast

barbellbeast

MuscleHead
Oct 4, 2010
This one is in general whether diet, nutrition, training, anything regarding your fitness-minded lifestyle.

I have 2 that come to mind. One is embarrassing, I've been all about lifting consistently for 20 years, the whole time I adhered to the 90 minute post workout anabolic window. At my largest I would have nearly 3 quarters of my total daily protein intake in that 90 minute window and right before bed. And of course I knew that your body continues to repair over the next few days up to a week depending on many factors, but that 90 minutes post workout was always a priority. Sad to say it wasn't until last year, just perusing pubmed and ncbi somewhere I read over studies proving that sure, post workout nutrition has it's merits, but even 3-4 hours post workout anabolism is only boosted about 50% and 100% between 24-48 hours. So I was way off my whole life in trying to get the right nutrition in at the right time...but it still worked anyway.

The 2nd I learned a little sooner, but it still took a long time to figure out. I was very calculated, I read al of the articles out of MD, Flex and online magazines that each month told you "the perfect way" to build muscle, even though it was different every month. Or T-nation pumping out one article after another telling you this obscure exercise that you're not doing is the key to open all the growth that you've been wanting. My reps were exactly what I read and form was always perfect. I measured my baked chicken and sweet potatoes, steered clear of much alcohol... you get the picture. It probably took a good 12 years to finally realize that everyone that was passing my by with results definitely weren't overthinking it like I was. They'd get in the gym, lifted heavy, lifted stupid, lifted with a chip on their shoulder because generally they were short guys and that's why they had to be muscular. They'd eat what they wanted without much thought into macronutrient content...ultimately they just didn't overthink anything at all as opposed to me. I'm wired a certain way so I couldn't not measure out what I eat and I always walk into a workout with a plan and back up plans...but once I stopped overthinking it, is when I grew to be my biggest which was my goal all along. I'd workout, then go get Popeye's or a Wendy's Baconator and enjoy life(it also helped being single at that point and not having to share my food with a gf who "wasn't hungry" when I was getting food, but quickly changed her mind when I got my food).

So what were your epiphanies?

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
For me it was about learning the patience to stick with it over the years, as I never gained more than about 5-7 pounds per year of lean mass. There are a few rabbits out there, but I was a tortoise. Slow and steady.

My second was no longer getting frustrated by the genetic freaks that simply responded by going through the motions at the gym, while I had to work for every modest step of progress I made. Now, I just marvel at and appreciate those select few who have amazing genetics and wish them well! (bastards!) (perfect example of this was me competing against Mike Lockett. I don't think the guy could spell workout, but he had slabs of freaky ripped muscle all over...)

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
To put it succinctly, effort trumps workout plan. In other words, just about any workout plan, within reason, will work if you put the effort into it. It didn’t take me terribly long to figure that out.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
For me, about training.......
Took me awhile to learn and feel muscle movements and mind-muscle connection on specific parts. Some muscles i have always felt engaged. But last couple of years only had i realized part of my legs and really feeling the engagement. Case in point: hamstrings. Took me awhile to understand and get getting the muscle engaged for growth. Not sure why....but it is what it is.

sityslicker1

sityslicker1

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 6, 2010
For me, about training.......
Took me awhile to learn and feel muscle movements and mind-muscle connection on specific parts. Some muscles i have always felt engaged. But last couple of years only had i realized part of my legs and really feeling the engagement. Case in point: hamstrings. Took me awhile to understand and get getting the muscle engaged for growth. Not sure why....but it is what it is.
Imo this is so important esp. for lagging body parts. If you can slow down, light up the weight so you can really focus on problem area, sqeeze hard, really feel all that muscle recruitment working this should help. I see a lot of guys with weak backs but they are doing tons of weight on the pull down. My guess is other axillary muscle are coming into play.

Last edited:
sityslicker1

sityslicker1

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 6, 2010
I'd say for me it's diet. Fear of losing muscle. As you get deep into the cut your mind trys to convince you to stop at all cost- all the hunger ques, loss of energy, irritability. Then their was the influences on the boards. Guys shaming other guys when their eating low calories. Or encouraged to eat no stop to gain . These same guys would post there diets of 5k -10k calories. Made me think that their was something wrong with my body. Eventually I learned all the science behind the diet and was able to step away and do my own thing and I got incredible results. Sometimes I'd have to eat 2k or less deeper into my cut but it was ok this is what was needed. Not someone on the forums saying im instarvation mode and need more calories. As far as gaining I see that I can gain just fine on 3500 calories and don't need to stuff myself to the point I'm sick. Board are definitely a great place for info but you got to Becareful for other guys parroting bad info that one size fits all..

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Mine was mostly diet related. For years I tried to eat the way bodybuilders ate. I bought into the whole 6 meals per day 400 + grams of carbs bullshit for years and just kept getting fatter. I then realized that almost all the people recommended this way of eating are genetically gifted to start with and take MASSIVE amounts of steroids/GH/Insulin/diuretics to maintain their condition. I hate to say it but thats something I really didn't fully get until fairly recently.
The whole "a calorie is a calorie" bullshit. I knew better than that from years back but since it went completely against everything the books, magazines and all the bros on the forums were saying I dismissed it. I can eat 2,000 calories of rice, potatoes or donuts per day and get fatter than fuck or eat 6,000+ calories of meat and eggs and get lean and lose body fat.

Second thing is training related. I always thought and read that you kept your reps in the 6 or less range to build muscle and strength and 10+ to "shape" the muscle and look better. That's also garbage. I get my strongest and look my best with my reps in the 12-15 range. And my joints hurt a hell of a lot less.

Third is drug related. Looking back there are a few steroids and sups I wish I had not wasted my time and money on. Deca, tbol, BNE, Test boosters, ICOPRO, Cybergenics, amino acids, anything that said Weider on it.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
For me anyways, I learned late in life that diet trumps everything. I understand completely that training, diet, recovery, PEDS, etc... go hand in hand, but if my diet sucks it doesn't really matter what else I am doing. I will not see the progress I want. I can let the others lapse and still see significant progress.

sityslicker1

sityslicker1

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 6, 2010
For me anyways, I learned late in life that diet trumps everything. I understand completely that training, diet, recovery, PEDS, etc... go hand in hand, but if my diet sucks it doesn't really matter what else I am doing. I will not see the progress I want. I can let the others lapse and still see significant progress.
It's a shame but it's usually place last on that list for most guys getting into fitness or bbing. Guilty of it myself for years.

Last edited:
sityslicker1

sityslicker1

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 6, 2010
Mine was mostly diet related. For years I tried to eat the way bodybuilders ate. I bought into the whole 6 meals per day 400 + grams of carbs bullshit for years and just kept getting fatter. I then realized that almost all the people recommended this way of eating are genetically gifted to start with and take MASSIVE amounts of steroids/GH/Insulin/diuretics to maintain their condition. I hate to say it but thats something I really didn't fully get until fairly recently.
The whole "a calorie is a calorie" bullshit. I knew better than that from years back but since it went completely against everything the books, magazines and all the bros on the forums were saying I dismissed it. I can eat 2,000 calories of rice, potatoes or donuts per day and get fatter than fuck or eat 6,000+ calories of meat and eggs and get lean and lose body fat.

Second thing is training related. I always thought and read that you kept your reps in the 6 or less range to build muscle and strength and 10+ to "shape" the muscle and look better. That's also garbage. I get my strongest and look my best with my reps in the 12-15 range. And my joints hurt a hell of a lot less.

Third is drug related. Looking back there are a few steroids and sups I wish I had not wasted my time and money on. Deca, tbol, BNE, Test boosters, ICOPRO, Cybergenics, amino acids, anything that said Weider on it.
Right on gunslinger..
God for years I try to meet that protien requirement 2g per lb of body weight that always push. Later I found out I'm more then perfect 1g/lb everyday. I was wasting so much protien, $$$ and all that extra protien just went to fat gains.

And all the carbs recommended is a joke too. Im good with 150 to 250g a day to grow and feel well. Trying to push more when I'm mostly inactive all day sitting or standing it's just not needed for me at least.

I also no longer use sugar or simple carb pwo shakes. A balanced meal after or some fruit ( pineapples, grapes) directly after is enough for my recover these days. The body is a adaptive machine it will eventually get those glycogen stores fill over time. The shotgun approach imo is over kill unless your taking slin.

And definitely no more reps ranges less then 8 reps these days. My joints can't take it and neither can my cns.

Last edited:
IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
It's a shame but it's usually place last on that list for most guys getting into fitness or bbing. Guilty of it myself for years.
It's because we don't want it to be true! It's by far, the hardest part.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic