Members
Latest Member
bsimon7074
What's New?

What supplements besides Protein?

W

wiley67

Mar 30, 2016
I am back in the gym after 20 plus years,I am 48 and 6ft1 247 right now and am working on losing more.I am getting my protein everyday but what would be a good pre-workout supplement ,or any that could help keep my energy up and help lose the fat and gain muscle at the same time?

Bigherm21

Bigherm21

Apr 12, 2012
Food!!!!!!! Nutrition is the best thing for you. There's no miracle supplement to make you go from wack to jacked.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Like herm says there isn't a supplement that will really do what you are looking for.

Pre workout just enjoy a cup of coffee. If you don't like coffee you are a commie so just take a caffeine tablet.

Creatine monohydrate is always a good supplement. One of very few that actually has some evidence behind it.

W

wiley67

Mar 30, 2016
Thanks for the info,yes I have the food part down,, just want to make sure I was getting the right supplements,,you see so many ads for stuff and when i was lifting years ago there wasn't all this miracle product,,,sad thing is my wife works for a major coffee company and I cant stand it,,,lol love the smell ,make it every morning for her,just cant drink it..now on the creatine I had read that it can cause you to keep weight on?

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Myself ......over 50 yrs 225-230 year round.
Clean food, high quality multi vitamins, pump fuel insanity for pre workout
Creatine is in it.
Creatine may hold water on you but not fat.
Train even when you dont want to
Good luck :)

W

wiley67

Mar 30, 2016
I started at 273 before Christmas,down to 247 right now.I will order some of the pre-workout,,thanks for the info guys.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
As many have said, nutrition will drive your progress.

As for supps. I dont consider whey a supplement. It is just food. (just another form of protein). If calorie restricted, whey is a great option as it make hitting your protein goals easier without impacting carbs or fats heavily. At your size, and trying to lose a lot of fat, it is the most important time ever to keep protein levels up.

Workouts supps:
Just bulk creatine mono (no need to load), and another I take is Beta-alanine. In a deficit situation BCAA is a great option. I buy that in bulk too. No need to pay high$$$ for someone's "kitchen sink" formula. Just some bulk BCAA or even just Leucine (which is the key player). Mixes well with grape mio.

For general health (lifting or not). Fish oil is a given. (I take 6g/day). Vitimin D 5000iu. MANY MANY benefits from keeping proper levels. If you are relying on your bodies own hormones, proper vit d levels are a must. A decent multi is nice, but not a must. There are other things, but those are my "staples" I have no problem recommending to anyone.

I

Ingus

Mar 13, 2015
I started when I was 57. I was in poor health and decided to do some thing about it. I cleaned up my diet and started lifting. After a year I was 43 pounds lighter and had good muscularity. Basically you are transforming every cell in your body. When you suddenly engage in intense exercise you need to protect your nervous system along with the rest of your body. You also need to constantly detoxify. I experimented with a bunch of supplements.

I start off every day drinking a bulletproof coffee with collagen protein.
My pre workout stack is methylsenephrine, NALT, L-Dopa, AAKG and beta alanine.
Post is theanine, creatine, glutamine, arginine, citruline, betaine, taurine and bcaa's
With breakfast is k, d, carnitine, CLA, krill oil, coq10, ALA and alcar.
Before bed is ZMA, 5htp, and GABA

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I started when I was 57. I was in poor health and decided to do some thing about it. I cleaned up my diet and started lifting. After a year I was 43 pounds lighter and had good muscularity. Basically you are transforming every cell in your body. When you suddenly engage in intense exercise you need to protect your nervous system along with the rest of your body. You also need to constantly detoxify. I experimented with a bunch of supplements.

I start off every day drinking a bulletproof coffee with collagen protein.
My pre workout stack is methylsenephrine, NALT, L-Dopa, AAKG and beta alanine.
Post is theanine, creatine, glutamine, arginine, citruline, betaine, taurine and bcaa's
With breakfast is k, d, carnitine, CLA, krill oil, coq10, ALA and alcar.
Before bed is ZMA, 5htp, and GABA

What are these toxins you are removing?

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Most good supplements got pulled in the early 2000s after the Bush admin took sweeping measures to prevent more dumbasses from doing what dumbasses do best; be dumbasses.

Mac has some good info there, however, this is the one time that I disagree with him. There is too much to debate using synthetic vitamins and fish oil seems to have a history of viscous cycles of whether the data shows it's good, not good, or unnecessary.

I pretty much just gave up on all supps and went all food with a whey shake PWO for convenience. My cholesterol levels actually went UP when I took fish oil too, so I don't have a very good opinion of it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic