Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

What % of Deadlift should one be able to good morning?

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
The DL is my worst lift due to weak hams and lower back, so I have been supplementing with some good mornings. I usually do 3x8-10 reps after my deads. I keep my DL volume pretty low to take in order not to destroy my lower back. I haven't PR'd my dead in a few months but at that point it was 560. I usually do good mornings with 225, lowering just enough to feel a hammy stretch. I feel like if I should be doing more weight, but have no frame of reference.

Thoughts?

Hawk

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
If doesn't work that way. There isn't a % one should be able to GM when in comparison to what they can pull.

How bout you post a vid and we'll be able to help you attack your DL. How do you pull? Conventional or sumo? Are you doing any deficit pulls? Any RDL's? Any dimel deads? Any block pulls? Any front squats?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
You can do a GM for a max effort (think westside) but rather than it being a % of the DL it would just be rate on a scale of 1-10 perceived difficulty.

BI is right though. Work on technique.

For hams and low back I like GM's, but back extensions with a safety squat bar are becoming a staple for me. GHR's, front squats etc. try and shoot for 15 sets of accessories for the posterior chain.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
If doesn't work that way. There isn't a % one should be able to GM when in comparison to what they can pull.

How bout you post a vid and we'll be able to help you attack your DL. How do you pull? Conventional or sumo? Are you doing any deficit pulls? Any RDL's? Any dimel deads? Any block pulls? Any front squats?

I pull conventional, I have fooled with sumo, but 405 felt like 600. I will post a vid later this week, but have no idea how to do it anonymously. I could PM a link though. In reality, I have focused on form and think its pretty good, but think my main issue is my bbing background in which I never focused on lower back work. I have short legs for my height which helps and some decent glute strength, but the guys at the Sweatt shop said my erectors needed some help LOL

Hawk

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
If Ambre, Derek, and Laura said to strengthen your erectors then your erectors need strengthening.... That group has their shi t together.

BI is right, there's no set %.... just keep working reps for GMs ( I don't because they tear up my back, but if they work for you then go for it), start doing lots of rack pulls to train your body to handle heavier loads, lots of heavy ab training, and some deficit pulls or snatch grip pulls.

If you feel that it's technique feel free to PM video.....

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic