Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

What meal reminds you of your mom...or your favorite meal from her?

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Gravy vs Sauce is a debate even among Italians...
I do think like Rawdeal said, it's a regional thing. I once heard someone say sauce is plain and gravy is made with meat. We just always called it gravy. It could also have been something that got applied in the translation. It was what was served in a "Gravy" boat and they just started to call it gravy.

Here's 2 examples of that. A comb for your hair was called by my Grandparents a "Patentace" The major company that produced combs was Ace. The combs had the company name on it; "Ace" and they had a patent on the combs so printed on the one side of the comb it read Patent ACE.

Another was the refrigerator. Main brand was Fridge Air. So if you asked for a beer, it was in the Ufridgedair.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
Wonder if that might be a regional thing ... my father-in-law used to make a point of saying his people were from Naples rather than Sicily. To my non-Italian ass it was all just "Italy," and in my upbringing Italian food all had red sauce and gravy was the brown stuff that came with roast beef, pot roast, etc. My first Thanksgiving dinner with my wife's family surprised the shit outta me when I was asked if I wanted more (red) gravy, and there was spaghetti right there near the turkey and stuffing and such.
I do think like Rawdeal said, it's a regional thing. I once heard someone say sauce is plain and gravy is made with meat. We just always called it gravy. It could also have been something that got applied in the translation. It was what was served in a "Gravy" boat and they just started to call it gravy.

Here's 2 examples of that. A comb for your hair was called by my Grandparents a "Patentace" The major company that produced combs was Ace. The combs had the company name on it; "Ace" and they had a patent on the combs so printed on the one side of the comb it read Patent ACE.

Another was the refrigerator. Main brand was Fridge Air. So if you asked for a beer, it was in the Ufridgedair.

It's def got to be a regional or translation thing. I have Italian family as in-laws that are OG NYC Italians and still living there - they call it sauce and say gravy is a Jersey Italian thing. But I know plenty of NYC Italians that call it gravy.

My family came straight to Boston off the boat and it's always been sauce - and my father's side is Northern Italian (anything north of naples is northern Italian to them), and my mother's side is Sicilian. But there's still some people here in the north end that call it gravy.

So I guess at the end of the day I have no idea what is what in the great sauce vs gravy debate, but I know that I'm a guinea. If you have the seven fishes at Christmas Eve - you can claim your guinea card in my book.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
This seems to be the flock of Italians board...lol. It's good, Italian food, women, culture is awesome. Lots of style, except the newer weirdo kids with the make-up, tanning, and hair doo's. lol.

All you Italian folk....check this guy out, he is funny and awesome and his food makes my mouth water:
I'm gonna kick down some of his recipes. I love how he bags on Gordon Ramsey, lol.

https://www.facebook.com/vincenzosplate
https://www.vincenzosplate.com/?fbclid=IwAR3-X7WBBRdKTcEz3tlMOPLXsFuWaZROKbhzVmetZgwx1RXDSle6uhMWYi0

THIS IS HILARIOUS:

I posted this over at WCBB, but there only seems to be a few Italians there compared to here, lol. I have 0%:D

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
I’m Irish so I have no dog in the fight since we hate all you dagos.

That being said from a culinary standpoint, tomato sauce is just that…sauce. A gravy is a type of sauce typically made with meat or meat drippings. Therefore spaghetti sauce is proper unless you put in the “sauseege” and then it’s meat gravy. Capisce?

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Same as Mike....i'm a northerner mixed breed, hahaha.

I'm 0% Italian:eek:

So....i've always called it sauce for anything pasta. Gravy for me has always been white or brown (non-tomato based) for stuff like mashed potatos, biscuits, breakfast foods, etc:D

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I love my mom dearly (may she RIP), but looking back on it, she was an awful cook, LOL. But she had to feed me and my brothers, and thus you had to make a little go a long way. I'd say a casserole of egg noodles, cream of mushroom soup and a little ground meat was a staple we had about three days a week. Tasted just OK, but filled us up. We'd get some veggies out of the garden to add to it.

Another staple was fresh spinach from the garden, and we'd get baloney pieces added in. On special occasions, she'd fry up spam cubes, and we'd get that on the spinach. We thought we were living the high life! LOL Probably just as well that I didn't know any better....

Fancy food with powdered milk to wash it all down! How dreadful. Milk should not be translucent! LOL

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Ok a little ukie food to change it up. Homemade holubsti and pierogies every sunday

luckysaint

luckysaint

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2011
Roast beef and gravy with mashed potatoes also her fried chicken, best ever

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Ok a little ukie food to change it up. Homemade holubsti and pierogies every sunday

How do you cook/serve the pierogies? My wife makes them now and then, so I assumed they were Italian before your post. She doesn't start from scratch, gets some frozen from a fairly white-bread American supermarket, fries them in butter and either onions or store-bought "spaghetti" sauce ... I'm guessing your version is better, even though I'll eat fried onions on anything but corn flakes or ice cream. The pierogies from the store are cheese-filled, I think, but the flavor adds little to the final product. Maybe I'd know more if I didn't shovel them down so much .....

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Chicken fried steak. Loved it. My mom died on Saturday :( She was a good woman who loved God and her family.

II, my heart goes out to u and your family!...I always share this scripture upon such news....Please read Act. 24:15, may it bring u peace and comfort my iron bro!!!!....

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic