Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

What kind of power rack?

enjoy_tren

enjoy_tren

VIP Member
Jan 7, 2014
Rogue has an equivalent for Monster and Monster Lite racks. They do look sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just checked it out. 1k extra for the attachment. I have to admit that rogues stuff looks like its heavy duty and well made.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Did a lot of internet window shopping back when shut-downs began. Heaviest-duty Racks I see from various manufacturers all seem to use 3" x 3" 11 gauge steel, although 2x2, 2x3 and 14 gauge is out there too on cheaper stuff. Different companies and different price ranges use different hardware also. There may be some in-between sizes I'm unaware of, but all I've noticed is either 5/8" or 1". Rogue for instance offers a line of Monster Racks and another line of Monster Lite Racks that seem pretty much the same ... all that differs is the hardware, and the price. I guess "bigger is better" is a good general rule, but I wonder if the price difference is justified for us average gym rats who don't Bench 500+ or Squat 800+ ?

Another variable out there is steel spotter pins vs. the nylon strap ones that came along more recently. Offhand nylon doesn't sound as reliable as steel to me, but some of the Rolls Royce caliber stuff made by Rogue, Sorinex, etc. offer it, so ... ?

Biggest variable has to do with timing vs. investment. If the damn virus does go away to your satisfaction, or to your gym owner's satisfaction, or your Governor's, will a somewhat limited garage gym get ignored once you can rush back to all the extras a good commercial gym has? How much money are we willing to risk on stuff we might not use much in 2 or 3 or 6 months? That "availability estimate" in post #29 above says August, for example. Happily assuming "August" holds and doesn't become "Fall," it could still be late August ... 3 months from now you will have paid for stuff you don't have yet, 3 months from now closer to your old Gym re-opening, if it hasn't already.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
From a steel strength/engineering standpoint all of those tube sizes are plenty big. 11ga is .1196" and 14ga is .0747. Without doing the calcs I'm gunna say even the small stuff is good over a ton or two. A bigger factor might be the perceived strength of the heavier tube, and not having the thing move every time you rack it hard. For me, and starting with a flimsier rack 10 years ago (like 1x1 telescoping tubes),the solid feel gives me a better overall confidence (and I'm not benching 300/squatting 400). If that makes sense.

noiseboy

noiseboy

Apr 10, 2020
I've looked for the last couple months at racks and availability. If it'll suit your needs, great. But like rawdeal says, make sure it's something you'll use. Not just for a couple months, but a lifetime. IMO, look for 5/8" or 1" holes. Most manufacturers make theirs using these sizes. This way, you can use different manufacturers attachments. DD is correct 5/8" is large enough for any practical weight you'll be using.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
I don't even get why the 1" hardware is supposedly better than 5/8" Is it that the larger diameter, esp. of the washers, just grips better and reduces shimmy when you re-rack the Bar, or maybe requires less frequent tightening ... I dunno.

That's more of a rant than a question maybe; I'm not sold on spending more for 1" but then again I'm not throwing around Big Boy weights either.

N

Nerve

May 11, 2015
what do you guys think about this one?

https://www.elitefts.com/eliteftstm-e-series-3x3-full-power-rack-w-weight-storage.html

with this bench

https://www.elitefts.com/elitefts-e-series-incline-bench.html

the rack is 1000 plus 600 for the bench and 700 shipping.

That rack looks good. I looked at that one for a while - I wasn't planning on buy at any time soon then but I was just kind of looking at options for the future/dreaming (lol).

I would personally not like that bench. It only has three options for the angle: flat, about 45°, & 90°. I believe a lower incline is substantially better for incline work - around 15°-20°. When I do my incline press work I always use the lowest setting above flat. 45° is too much for incline work in my opinion & brings in too much anterior delt & the science backs up that you do not need a huge incline.

EDIT: Maybe this was discussed already, but do you have a bar? I have my Texas Power Bar locked up at my gym that I use (& on occasion other people I know & trust are allowed to use it) so I will vouch for the TPB if you need a bar. I've been meaning to pick up the Ohio Deadlift Bar as well actually, but keep dragging my feet.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Anyone find anything worthwhile in stock or that would be delivered in the next month or two?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic