Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

What keeps you going?

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
Why do you do it? how do you keep going? how do you stay at it? what is your secret? all these are questions that i get on a fairly routine basis either in real life or as comments or messages on bb.com.

i have stated many times that by nature, i am a lazy person. but thankfully, i am a prideful lazy person :D. had it not been for the comments and such that i got when i started this journey over a year and a half ago, i would still be fat and wishing that i was in better shape! i was looking for the quick fix. i was all about trying every fat burner and "secret diet" pill there was. the problem was that they didnt work very well. my nutrition sucked. i ate way too much. luckily for me, i have always worked hard and done physical work so i could keep my weight kind of in control.

as a child, like others on here, my parents were very big about us eating everything on our plates. whatever you took, you ate, or in some cases, whatever dad put on your plate you ate. my sisters and i are all easy keepers! we were all about 10-30 pounds overweight as teenagers and into our adult lives. the one saving grace for us is that we worked hard on the farm. i have two sisters that as adults are easily 50-75# overweight and the other one is probably 20#over. for most of my life, i was anywhere from 20-50# overweight. no ones fault but my own because i was too lazy and too unwilling to control my eating. i wanted my cake and to eat it too :D

in college i worked out but also ate and drank everything in site! i was strong but fat. i wanted to look better but i didnt want to put the effort into it. i didnt want to not eat all the yummy stuff that was around me. you know, life is short, why not enjoy it!? this was the way it was until about a year ago.

i joined and became active in bb.com. i got back into the weight room consistently for the first time in 15 years. after about 4 months of being back in the gym, i decided it was time to work on the diet! this has been a slow process and one that i still suck at! i told you i was lazy :) to eat right is hard work. but i have made some significant changes in my diet that have resulted in some positive changes in my body.

what drives me? what keeps me going? what makes me go even when i dont feel like it? never being satisfied with where i am. i have a dream, corny sounding i know, but it is true! when i started my goal was that i wanted to be in the best shape of my life when i hit 40. now my goal is to be in better shape each new year than i was the year before.

for some people they need something solid to work towards, like a competition. not me, i think a competition would be the death of me :D to get to that level and then gain the weight back and not look like i did during the competion, i couldnt handle it. i would be a depressed fatty all over again. so to be driven by the unattainable, for me, that is what is best, that is what keeps me going. never having a set end point, never being able to stop and say that i have gotten to where i want to be. never being strong enough. never being satisfied. always needing to be working towards something......

what drives you? what keeps you going back to the gym day after day, month after month and year after year? do you have an end point?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
What keeps me going is this inner thing where I never do anything half assed. It actually scares my boss lol... I dive into something and take it to it's most extreme end. I perfect everything I do. But with bodybuilding I have met my match. You can always get bigger and stronger or leaner... The progress never ends until the end...

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I agree on competing.For me it is a bit different.My goals are strong first fat loss second. I have always been big .I dont mind being big but I do mind being this fat . I have about 200 pounds of lean mass and would love to see what it looks like without all the fat.Though it is a short period in time that is my personal goal for two months.For years i have tried to diet and stay strong.I just cant do both.So for the first time in years my goal is simply fat loss .Mentally it is a battle daily.I'm not ready to give up competing just yet.
So what keeps me going.The want to see constant improvement in strength and I am never happy with my strength gains.I dont know that I will ever be happy with them .But it fuels me to constantly improve.The fat loss over the next two months is just an added kicker.

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
nice topic my queen......you know this is such a easy question for me..however as the years roll bye my purpose changes....But most of all what keeps me going is the fear of saying what i use to do..have u ever heard from people i use to lift and u look at them and u just cant see any truth of it?....I dont ever want to fit in that situation...ive sold my soul many years ago...in the name of iron....its a pack i can'nt not break if i wantted to....its my oath to myself and my god.i use to strive on attention....ive allways, as long as i can rememebr wantting the attention from people...i guess it was a act of trying to fit in but it was all within my mind..how can some muscle head freak fit in to a crowd of people?..if anything your just a circus clown....but back then i didnt feel that way..i use to think that females loved muscles but ive found out that most of them think those that do lift have to much of a ego and they much rather someone simple then some over the wall ego man that walks arounf flexing at any given time.....now, i could really care less...as a matter of fact im tired of people approaching me asking me about weightlifting...its gottin old...i just cover up most the time now....but even that doesnt work but it does cut the attention down, i trully feel that most lifters do it for attention..and its nothing wrong with that...i was the same way and in a way i guess i still am but age has changed my views now....when people ask me about weightlifting and ask that same old question...do u lift weights?i just say...i mess around alittle bit instead of explianing my whole process like i use to do....when i say i lift just a little bit it cuts the conversation down alot and i just walk on off....rea;;y to sum this up in a nut shell...i lift because its my label...Ive lived this label as a weightlifter my whole life now....i chose this and this is what i became........and i wouldnt change it for nothing.....I am what i am..........dw

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
God & FAMILY
Every year i get older--every year i dont care .....i do what i do for me...i still dream...when u stop ur dead...i dont let anyone kill my dreams-as i wont kill any1 either...people ask me all the time how do i do it? (some know my past & me) 1 word "Positive"----my Irish Grandfather taught me "it could always be worse" his parents died when he was 14 and he lived on the streets then join irish(RBM)army just to EAT!!!! My Italian grandfather taught me to stand up for something--He was a Col in the Italian army that would not fight for Nazi Germany...When the Nazi caught him/and his men...they lined them up to be shot but he made a deal with them to spare his men lives for his life instead...so my grandfather was lined up in the center of town with fellow officers that wouldnt leave his side and shot----i was told thru family that his last recorded words were "My Life-MY LOVE" "MY LOVE-MY LIFE"

THOSE words sum it up for me.....so they are tattooed on my forearms

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
thanks alot ATW! I think i got something in my eyes after that ^^^^^^
or
it could be living in a house with 7 women

Damn Im getting Soft

marx

marx

MuscleHead
Sep 29, 2010
Lived a life that didn't work and remembered a time when it did- when I trained hard and ran and felt ALIVE. Now the disciplined life I choose daily is my safety valve and the source of a bunch of pride.

Daily winning the battle fuels me to winning the battle daily

I just saw this is the female training discussion forum... excuse me, but I'm on a roll...

Daily I do what it takes to surpass myself. This gives me the basis to excel in my profession, humble as it is, and to serve my community- in a small way making a difference.

I need this. The fear of being a beer bloated tweeker fuckhead is the demon whose neck I step on daily. Stomping the bastard is my salvation. Daily. Repeatedly. Joyfully.

I'm addicted to fighting gravity and laziness and stupidity.

THIS LIFESTYLE IS THE WAY!

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
nice topic my queen......you know this is such a easy question for me..however as the years roll bye my purpose changes....But most of all what keeps me going is the fear of saying what i use to do..have u ever heard from people i use to lift and u look at them and u just cant see any truth of it?....I dont ever want to fit in that situation...ive sold my soul many years ago...in the name of iron....its a pack i can'nt not break if i wantted to....its my oath to myself and my god.i use to strive on attention....ive allways, as long as i can rememebr wantting the attention from people...i guess it was a act of trying to fit in but it was all within my mind..how can some muscle head freak fit in to a crowd of people?..if anything your just a circus clown....but back then i didnt feel that way..i use to think that females loved muscles but ive found out that most of them think those that do lift have to much of a ego and they much rather someone simple then some over the wall ego man that walks arounf flexing at any given time.....now, i could really care less...as a matter of fact im tired of people approaching me asking me about weightlifting...its gottin old...i just cover up most the time now....but even that doesnt work but it does cut the attention down, i trully feel that most lifters do it for attention..and its nothing wrong with that...i was the same way and in a way i guess i still am but age has changed my views now....when people ask me about weightlifting and ask that same old question...do u lift weights?i just say...i mess around alittle bit instead of explianing my whole process like i use to do....when i say i lift just a little bit it cuts the conversation down alot and i just walk on off....rea;;y to sum this up in a nut shell...i lift because its my label...Ive lived this label as a weightlifter my whole life now....i chose this and this is what i became........and i wouldnt change it for nothing.....I am what i am..........dw

very thought provoking post DW! i think you are right, we all start doing it for the attention that we hope it gets us but it does change, it does become a way of life. to the true lifter, it becomes an addiction. the attention no longer needed, just the sense of normalcy, a sense of belonging, a desire to be needed by the iron. it becomes what you are, as much a part of who you are as your heart that beats inside!

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
God & FAMILY
Every year i get older--every year i dont care .....i do what i do for me...i still dream...when u stop ur dead...i dont let anyone kill my dreams-as i wont kill any1 either...people ask me all the time how do i do it? (some know my past & me) 1 word "Positive"----my Irish Grandfather taught me "it could always be worse" his parents died when he was 14 and he lived on the streets then join irish(RBM)army just to EAT!!!! My Italian grandfather taught me to stand up for something--He was a Col in the Italian army that would not fight for Nazi Germany...When the Nazi caught him/and his men...they lined them up to be shot but he made a deal with them to spare his men lives for his life instead...so my grandfather was lined up in the center of town with fellow officers that wouldnt leave his side and shot----i was told thru family that his last recorded words were "My Life-MY LOVE" "MY LOVE-MY LIFE"

THOSE words sum it up for me.....so they are tattooed on my forearms

it could always be worse! so many people get caught up in the poor me, my life isnt fair, i had things so hard. who cares, instead of letting it keep you down, use it to build you up! our attitude is our choice! your grandfather chose to stand and to die! i bet he would do it all over again if given a choice! great men and women take adversity and use it to help others!

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
Lived a life that didn't work and remembered a time when it did- when I trained hard and ran and felt ALIVE. Now the disciplined life I choose daily is my safety valve and the source of a bunch of pride.

Daily winning the battle fuels me to winning the battle daily

I just saw this is the female training discussion forum... excuse me, but I'm on a roll...

Daily I do what it takes to surpass myself. This gives me the basis to excel in my profession, humble as it is, and to serve my community- in a small way making a difference.

I need this. The fear of being a beer bloated tweeker fuckhead is the demon whose neck I step on daily. Stomping the bastard is my salvation. Daily. Repeatedly. Joyfully.

I'm addicted to fighting gravity and laziness and stupidity.

THIS LIFESTYLE IS THE WAY!

it isnt about just the women, i just posted it there because, well, im a woman :D

i think the bolded is a great statement! not an excuse but rather motivation! so many people let lifes troubles bring them down rather than using those experiences to make them stronger! no blame for past failures, just resolve to be better!

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
it could always be worse! so many people get caught up in the poor me, my life isnt fair, i had things so hard. who cares, instead of letting it keep you down, use it to build you up! our attitude is our choice! your grandfather chose to stand and to die! i bet he would do it all over again if given a choice! great men and women take adversity and use it to help others!

words of wisdom iron queen.....also...never stop...allways keep that fire alive.....whatever life throws at u keep on getting it....because its so easy to stop and say fuck it...ive seen people do this all the time...why u didnt workout today?...O well...i had things come up so i couldnt...U know what ..thats chicken shit....excuses.....how about this for size...my fucking lower back is killem me..but u know what i crawled my ass to my weight pile and workout out anyway...now thats how it should be......and that how its been all my life...Hell ive worked out during hurricanes before..the wind blowing my fence down ..shit flying everywhere...but yet im one crazy fucker...i contuined my workout even when the world around me was like death...now thats pure driven.....this is why when someone makes a negative comment about me...i think deep down that this person isnt a pimple on my ass...dw

trentracks

trentracks

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 23, 2011
For me it boils down to too many people use me as their motivation and I dont want to disappoint them. I tried to give my self a 30 day break,but beat myself up mentally about it, because I just got stiffer and weaker and really didnt gain anything by taking a rest,you get out what you put in,,,, but sometimes the gains are so slow its frustrating

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic