Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

What is the shelf life of Arimidex/Anastrozole?

P

ptvhunt

Jul 14, 2012
This is my first post. I'm 41 and I've been on TRT at Low-T for about 1.5 years and was given my original prescription of Anastrozole with the directions to only take 1/2 tablet once every two weeks after injections. That reduced my estrogen levels to below 1. I was then told to lay off it completely and now I'm back on just 1/4 a tablet every two weeks. I don't recall my last estrogen levels but was told they were now normal at the 1/4 tablet. I don't want to waste the Anastrozole (insurance covers prescription) but still have 14 tablets. Prescription says discard after a year, any thoughts of their potency after the year? What is the shelf life of Arimidex?

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
In the us, pharm meds are usually good for at least 2 yrs. as long as you keep it out of sun, temp extremes, etc.

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
They don't expire. It's BS put there so that you'll continue to throw out good meds and buy new ones. I have a pharmacist tell me that

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
Large Army study on shelf lives of expired meds. Some are effective up to 15 years past exp dates. Like said above store in cool, dry out of sunlight. Aromasin is a lil more fragile but I wouldn't sweat a year or 2 past exp

FlurDizzle

FlurDizzle

Mar 16, 2014
It's always tbe ARMY that tests everything first.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
All medications have a "shelf life" further defined by the FDA as a loss of "potency" (because of the inevitable oxidation/reduction reactions) of 5% or more. For most medications that interval lies some where between 1-2 years. You should consider this whenever an expired medication is used.

The most helpful means of delaying said loss of potency has already been mentioned. Keep all medications in a COOL and DRY place. If there is conclusive evidence of accelerated decay thru the formation of concretions, non-micronized pill powder. etc, I would suggest the medication be discarded and an appropriate substitute purchased.

DrMehta

DrMehta

Apr 5, 2014
Not sure about that exact med but probably two years, if stored properly I would not worry about it for up to four years.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
All medications have a "shelf life" further defined by the FDA as a loss of "potency" (because of the inevitable oxidation/reduction reactions) of 5% or more. For most medications that interval lies some where between 1-2 years. You should consider this whenever an expired medication is used.

The most helpful means of delaying said loss of potency has already been mentioned. Keep all medications in a COOL and DRY place. If there is conclusive evidence of accelerated decay thru the formation of concretions, non-micronized pill powder. etc, I would suggest the medication be discarded and an appropriate substitute purchased.

Well dr jim..I will send you my addy and you can dispose of all your ''expired'' goods for me to dispose of properly:D

Drug Expiration Dates - Do They Mean Anything?

With a splitting headache you reach into your medicine cabinet for some aspirin only to find the stamped expiration date on the bottle has passed - two years ago. So, do you take it or don't you? If you decide to take the aspirin will it be a fatal mistake or will you simply continue to suffer from the headache?

This is a dilemma many people face in some way or another. A column published in Pyschopharmacology Today offers some advice.

It turns out that the expiration date on a drug does stand for something, but probably not what you think it does. Since a law was passed in 1979, drug manufacturers are required to stamp an expiration date on their products. This is the date at which the manufacturer can still guarantee the full potency and safety of the drug.

Most of what is known about drug expiration dates comes from a study conducted by the Food and Drug Administration at the request of the military. With a large and expensive stockpile of drugs, the military faced tossing out and replacing its drugs every few years. What they found from the study is 90% of more than 100 drugs, both prescription and over-the-counter, were perfectly good to use even 15 years after the expiration date.

So the expiration date doesn't really indicate a point at which the medication is no longer effective or has become unsafe to use.

Medical authorities state expired drugs are safe to take, even those that expired years ago. A rare exception to this may be tetracycline, but the report on this is controversial among researchers. It's true the effectiveness of a drug may decrease over time, but much of the original potency still remains even a decade after the expiration date. Excluding nitroglycerin, insulin, and liquid antibiotics, most medications are as long-lasting as the ones tested by the military. Placing a medication in a cool place, such as a refrigerator, will help a drug remain potent for many years.

Is the expiration date a marketing ploy by drug manufacturers, to keep you restocking your medicine cabinet and their pockets regularly? You can look at it that way. Or you can also look at it this way: The expiration dates are very conservative to ensure you get everything you paid for. And, really, if a drug manufacturer had to do expiration-date testing for longer periods it would slow their ability to bring you new and improved formulations.

The next time you face the drug expiration date dilemma, consider what you've learned here. If the expiration date passed a few years ago and it's important that your drug is absolutely 100% effective, you might want to consider buying a new bottle. And if you have any questions about the safety or effectiveness of any drug, ask your pharmacist. He or she is a great resource when it comes to getting more information about your medications. November 2003 Update

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
Did I say to dispose of EXPIRED medications, NOT! Perhaps you should read my post AGAIN lol !

brutus79

brutus79

Dec 27, 2013
Did I say to dispose of EXPIRED medications, NOT! Perhaps you should read my post AGAIN lol !

JIM! have you found more illiterates to spar with? Good to see you and hope all is well my friend...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic