Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

What is the best way to grow calves?

barbellbeast

barbellbeast

MuscleHead
Oct 4, 2010
Genetically I'd say that I have good girth on my calves. In the last month though I have gone from 16.75in calves to 17.5inch. On seated calf raise you're working your soleus, the soleus supposedly has more slow twitch fibers so go slow. I usually unload the weight that guys with baby calves do crazy fast, and just use a 45 and 25 or 35 pound plate and go about an 8:2:8 second tempo for as many reps as I can(personally somewhere around 12-15reps). On a straight leg to calf raise exercise like a standing calf(I never do) or donkey calf(my favorite) go light but high reps, 30-50 reps for 4 sets pushing perfect form is what I do.

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
zack, my good buddy is in the same boat as you. Crazy small calves that are strong as hell. We make fun of him because his calves are pretty much non-existent.

S

soinkid

Mar 14, 2011
ill be honest i noticed a major change in size in my calves over the course of 6 months while training mma. I am gonna say it was two things, front and back sled pulls, and jumping rope. ive never got the burn like pulling a weighted sled backwards...damn it hurts. in the gym i just go super heavy on calves, hitting every angle, and pretty frequently

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
This is the best exercise I've found for my calves... I call them Mrs. Smith's Donkeys... I can't find, nor do I want, a fat woman sitting on my back, so I use the smith to load up.

67f9093e.jpg

Lifeguard102

Lifeguard102

Oct 7, 2010
Been trying for years to get my calves larger. There strong as hell. Am I just genetically screwed?

Hey Z,
Calves are a prob for lots of bros.
I started my training to prepare as a boxer.
With this I did tons of body weight calf work.
Lots of lateral mvmts , jump rope and sparring.
Now, as a BB, I realize the development came from training angles.
If you want some serious stimulation try jumping rope for 6 3 min rds.
U can also stim them from shadow boxing on your toes.
Move in and out, then left to rignt then move in a square.
By hitting all angles you will surely stim some add'l growth.

Good luck
Life

D

dogsoldier

Oct 27, 2010
Don't just do calf raises with toes pointed forward. Do you sets toes pointing forward, toes point out about 30 degrees, and in about 30 degrees. The actual amount is not that important, as long as it is comfortable and your toes are angle. You will hit the calf from all three sides. This really helps with growth.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic