Latest Member
Douglas S
What's New?

What is the Best protein

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2013
Diesel money is tight right now. What would you recommend as the best compromise between cost and effectiveness? Just stick with the "dog food" bags of EAS? Been using cottage cheese as a cheap replacement to whey as much as possible.

Scivation whey isn't too shabby for the price ($45 for 5 lbs i think? Ive dealt with Mike Mccandless numerous times and I trust him)

Gotcha on that.

What I'm interested in however, is whether it's known if clumping is a characteristic of cheap protein sources as you mentioned up thread or just protein sources in general. I was interpreting your post (below) to be speaking directly to cheap/inferior/low quality proteins and was curious if there's truly a known difference in flow properties between various quality protein powders. I'm inclined to think that they're all pretty similar regardless of quality but don't know for sure. If that's the case, I'd imagine that a protein powder could have silicon dioxide in it regardless of quality so that it could flow better during manufacturing.

Grab some WPC40 and WPC80, you'll notice a world of difference. And you might get the shits.

Protein sources that come from whole food is hands down the best. But I do use some cytosport whey protein from time to time if I have a sweet craving or just need to get macros in.

Agreed 100%

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Scivation whey isn't too shabby for the price ($45 for 5 lbs i think? Ive dealt with Mike Mccandless numerous times and I trust him)

Grab some WPC40 and WPC80, you'll notice a world of difference. And you might get the shits.

Agreed 100%

You can buy "scivation' cheaper through smartpowders.com.

It is Mikes other company and sells the same whey without the fancy bucket and label. If you look at nutrition label, it reads exactly the same as scivation. Having had a good deal of experience with the orignal product, it seem pretty easy to tell they are the same stuff, just put in a bulk bag.

As for the best deal. I just picked up 20kg of 90% WPI (cold processed and cross flow filtered and instatized) for $250! Not going to find a better price then that!

2014-03-19174325_zpsa358189f.jpg

Reactions: SAD
graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
yes (sorry so late) Trueprotein is still around and you can still customize your own blend.
i got some of my best results from ON ProComplex too, for what its worth.

i still agree with SAD and Shortz though when they say no supp will compare to whole foods. i admit i use protein powders to make up those extra cals and protein my diet lacks

Me too, I only use them when I don't have time or skip a meal. Other than that I believe these expensive proteins and supps just make expensive poops

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Me too, I only use them when I don't have time or skip a meal. Other than that I believe these expensive proteins and supps just make expensive poops

Actually if you are splitting hairs, whey is superior to whole foods as a protein source. It is also generally cheaper.

I have consistently gotten about half my daily intake of protein from whey for several years. This is in addition to about a lb of meat (chicken and or lean beef). Very few people know their actual intake. It is not till you plan and track that you realize how hard it is to hit goals consistently. I shoot for 225-250 g per day. Without whey, that would be tough for me.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
I will never buy into the bioavailability charts that somehow determine that chicken and steak are inferior protein sources to soy and whey and whatever else is derived in a facility from byproducts and leftovers. I have absolutely no issues hitting 300g of protein per day, and I love every bite of it. I just haven't seen many powerlifters that don't get the vast majority of their protein and total cals from whole food.

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2013
I will never buy into the bioavailability charts that somehow determine that chicken and steak are inferior protein sources to soy and whey and whatever else is derived in a facility from byproducts and leftovers. I have absolutely no issues hitting 300g of protein per day, and I love every bite of it. I just haven't seen many powerlifters that don't get the vast majority of their protein and total cals from whole food.

Agreed, BV does not apply in this context

And this is far from true. Oral bioavailability has nothing to do with superiority. Whey protein would actually be inferior, if it mattered, due to the fact that the protein from chicken contains intact growth factors, whereas most forms of WP do not.

And finally, in the context of a high protein diet, protein is protein. Biological value, which is likely what you are referring to when you say bio-available, is a flawed yardstick of protein's worth as asserted by essentially every figure who knows a damn about nutrition. Amino acid content, the prime determinant of BV, simply does not matter when an individual is taking in at least 1g protein per pound of bodyweight with an inanely large amino acid pool. Soy/Casein/Chicken/Tuna/Etc effects on muscle building will echo whey's in basically perfect parallel, especially when accounting for consumption of other complete protein sources and the post-absorptive overlap that occurs across meals over the course of a day. With the amino acid pool being more than sufficient to facilitate the elevation in muscle protein synthesis in the (up to) 36-48 hours following a weight training bout, the need to differentiate between protein sources is moot (this includes even non-essential vs essential amino acids, unless megadosing)

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
I used to think protein powders were the "end all, be all" of supplements I needed to make gains when I first started lifting, used think I needed 5 shakes a day. To think of all the money I wasted, here's a big fukk you to the supplement companies that duped me, what an idiot I was.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011

Dont forget that we may be perusing different goals. When restricting cals or attempting to stay in a leaner state, that generally comes along with less total cals. As an example, I generally eat about 2600 cals cutting and 3100 maint. To get 240g of protein in a 2600 cal diet can be difficult if you are limiting fat to say 60-70g. You can only eat so many chicken breasts before you are sick of them.

Now if you are eating 5000 cal a day, getting in 300g of pro is probably fairly easy from all whole foods. I could put a hurting on some chicken legs and thighs if I had room for that fat content :D

That is what makes whey a very nice choice. You can round out your macro requirement for pro with very little impact on other macros......supplementing where necessary.

I think in the end it does not necessarily matter where you protein source comes from (as long as it is complete proteins). For me, whey is almost invaluable as I doubt I could keep up my intake without it. I can say for sure that for many years (before I tracked macros) I thought I ate a 'good' diet and 'plenty' of protein. Boy was I WRONG. It was an eye opening experience the first week I actually tracked and realized I ate about half the protein I thought I did.

If you are not a natural trainee, protein levels are not nearly as critical as they are if you train without the aid of AAS. You can get away with a lot with the aid of compounds as they tilt the nitrogen balance GREATLY in your favor. But if people understood the power of good nutrition, I believe that many could see far greater gains regardless of their supplement regimen.

C

commanderkurtz

Mar 29, 2014
Is just regular milk a decent ratio of protein and calories if you just drink enough to get your daily intake of protein?

tank1978

tank1978

Mar 31, 2014
Since i moved to spain .been taking pretty much whats cheapest is near on double the price as it is in london....

PowerLifter

PowerLifter

May 28, 2014
ON Pro Complex is the best protein blend out there.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic