I would highly rec:
protein powder
whole food multi vitamine/mineral
2-4g taurine ed
extra vit D 3

juced_porkchop

juced_porkchop

Feb 15, 2012
You don't have to have supplements. Supplements are just what the word intends, supplementation to what your diet lacks. If your diet doesn't lack protein, you don't need protein powder. If you're pasta heavy and do not get a lot of meats, your diet is not pretty solid, not being rude or anything but in terms of lean muscle minimal fat etc that isn't much better than if you did have some sweets in there. Pure carbs isn't gonna get you big and strong, excessive carbs will however get you big and fat.

Focus on that diet, no need for supplements. Chicken breast, lean beef, eggs, egg whites, fish, lean Turkey etc. Those are what you need. Still have carbs in there, they arentvyour enemy,but all carbs low protein is not a good diet for your goals man.

Its not about meat. i havent eatin meat in over 10 years and am bigger than most everyone i know. but you DOO need to focus on diet and get proein in. carbs more from veggies than bread and pasta and lost of good fats. i add fresh olive oil to just about everything I eat for years now. i do have 1-3 protein drinks a day to add to it. but iv gone periods without even that and done well. I am a big advocate of protein powders WITH a decent diet, but not as a main part of it.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
As someone with a lot of aas experience, let me tell that I didn't make crap for gains off of it until I got my diet straight. Diet makes THAT much difference! Especially for those of us that have crap genetics.

The best thing I ever did was go straight food for all my supplemental needs. The results were staggering.

On a final note, the supp industry isn't regulated by the fda. So we are simply playing the lottery when we use them

TheSpectre

TheSpectre

MuscleHead
May 4, 2013
Creatine is one of the few supplements that we know works. But don't by the expensive fancy stuff. Just get creatine monohydrate. It's cheap and effective. 5 grams per day.

I agree. I only take protein powder and put regular cheap-o creatine monohydrate in each one. I don't count multivitamins or Metamucil as bodybuilding supplements. I'd take them even if I didn't workout.

Last edited:
Haymaker

Haymaker

Oct 21, 2015
Thanks for all the advice! I have a lot to think about. It seems finding the right balance of nutrition is key, if I can get it from food, wonderful, if not a supp here or there doesn't hurt but diet is key. I appreciate all your help and I'll try a few things out and let you know what happens. Thanks again.

A

aperry580

Oct 1, 2015
the idea that u cant make huge gains naturally because your in your early thirties is crap I put on 40 pounds of muscle and over 300 pounds on my bench from 31 to 36 eating like crap with no supps . lift hard lift heavy lift often

Last edited:
Haymaker

Haymaker

Oct 21, 2015
the idea that u cant make huge gains naturally because your in your early thirties is crap I put on 40 pounds of muscle and over 300 pounds on my bench from 31 to 36 eating like crap with no supps . lift hard lift heavy lift often
Hell yeah.

T

TaiChiChuan

Oct 25, 2012
You don't require any supplements whatsoever. Not even protein powders. You would do better to focus all of your thoughts on training and diet. Spend the money you would have spent on crap supplements and buy better food or even hire a diet coach.

Save your money on the training coach. Buy more food with that cash and a freezer. If you haven't learned to properly weight train/body build at your age, you better find something else to do pal. ME? I have a mini-mart from my kitchen to my bedroom. Supplements and powders for me work wonders and I've been using them for over 40 years. Test combo 2 gm. a month also.

Last edited:
D

draxxus9801

Oct 8, 2010
I used to take anything I could get my hands on for supplements but not anymore. I like a protein shake once a day and no additional vitamins, etc.

Mega

Mega

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2012
If on a budget then here is my poor mans shopping list
1) ground turkey or chicken , breast or legs ( whatever is cheapest)
2) canned tuna ( what ever is on sale)
3) potatoes , again on sale
4 ) store brand oats ( super cheap)
5) 100% Apple Juice
6) bananas
7 ) eggs
8 ) fresh or frozen vegetables .
9 ) olive oil

that is more than enough to keep you going and making sure your getting enough of all your macros .

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
good list MEga... I would sub Sweet Potatos for #3 but that looks very similar to mine... throw in some Liquid eggs whites, plain Greek yogurt and cottage cheese and BAM!

Mega

Mega

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2012
I agree IronCore , but I was just trying to keep food cost down , Greek yogurt , 10 for 10$ on sale around here sometimes , liquid egg whites are a staple for me , but on a budget , over 5$ a carton I didn't want to break the bank , lol . Also could add on there white rice . It's very cheap and goes a long way

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic