Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

What does a recomp diet look like?

C

Cosmonaut

Jul 29, 2016
In terms of macros? The idea of a bulk, and a cut are very simple in terms of macros, but if you are trying to just cut fat and build muscle, i.e stay the same weight, what should your macros look like?

I've been on a 180p/150c/100f for a few months now and I'm just not certain whether or not I am doing the right thing.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Here are my personal thoughts on recomps; they are a cover up for steroid use.

Now that I have that out of the way, let's talk about the theory of a recomp. The adjustment of macros usually consists of increases in protein and fats, and decreases carbs, or vise versa, depending on where you are atm. That being said, the calories should stay the same.

All newbs in the game can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. That first year can be pretty amazing in terms of progress and the body seems to adapt nicely. Once the "honeymoon phase" is over, however, you can no longer build muscle in a caloric deficit, or, at least, it's near impossible. Let's just say near impossible for argument's sake. The reason why is, once you reach a certain amount of lean body mass, it begins to take more and more calories to maintain. If you go in to a caloric deficit, the body will usually look for ways to "survive", and if you are holding a lot of LBM, it will likely attempt to decrease muscle mass, considering muscle mass is "expensive". Remember that the body is a very efficient machine, and larger amounts of muscle mass is not efficient to have.

So, that being said, I would simply adjust calories and macros to reach one of two goals.

1. Cut
2. Gain muscle

Trying to do both of these things makes at once while natural will lead to less than optimum results. Remember that, in a caloric deficit, the value of protein goes up, while the value of carbs actually stays the same. In a surplus, protein value is sort of moderate. So not only is not best from a calorie perspective, but it's also not always best in a macro perspective. The adjustment of macros is never a bad idea though. Try to experiment with them a little. A little more protein is usually never a bad idea. Only time it won't have an impact is in very high surpluses.

Hope this was not too long winded and it was helpful. I left out a LOT of details here to keep myself from rambling or going too far off topic.

C

Cosmonaut

Jul 29, 2016
I understand. I made the assumption that it was possible simply because my body fat percentage was a little higher. (16%)
I just figured if I ate enough protein and kept it at maintenance I could convert some of it to muscle.

Here are my personal thoughts on recomps; they are a cover up for steroid use.

Why do you say that?

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I understand. I made the assumption that it was possible simply because my body fat percentage was a little higher. (16%)
I just figured if I ate enough protein and kept it at maintenance I could convert some of it to muscle.

Why do you say that?

Many folks don't want others to know they are on anything. It's either because of the stigma, the fact that it's illegal and they are afraid, or they want people to believe they didn't "cheat" and it was simply their dedication to diet and lifting. So, they post a pic where they very clearly added good mass and got leaner in a matter of a few/several months, which, on a veteran lifter, never happens in that time period. So, they tell people it was a recomp.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Call me old but there is no such thing. What younger guys refer to as a "recomp" is simply a cycle where you waste time getting sub-optimal results. By that I mean time(gear and food) that could be spent growing is wasted tryna keep your abs "in" for mirror checks :)

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Call me old but there is no such thing. What younger guys refer to as a "recomp" is simply a cycle where you waste time getting sub-optimal results. By that I mean time(gear and food) that could be spent growing is wasted tryna keep your abs "in" for mirror checks :)

This is the truth.

My coach goes even farther. He says to diet down lean, then bulk slowly, gaining as little fat as possible because it is easier to keep the muscle you gain when you aren't cutting. I have come to trust him 100% over time, on all of his advice, especially diet advice. He also says the bulking and cutting can end up hindering your progress, especially if you lose too much muscle mass. Better to stay fairly lean as you gain muscle, maybe 7 or 8 lbs per year if you're doing everything right.

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I worked with Herm while he was off. In fact his bloodwork showed his test as low. We added muscle and he lost fat in a terrible hormonal state.

I believe in recomps. Yes with some tren they are magical and very conspicuous. But it can happen.

Macro breakdown isn't how I make it happen. It how I have my people train. High economy and tremendously stressful for periods then a compensation.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic